Speculation: Goaltending problem?

Do you think goaltending is a problem going into the playoffs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Not exactly thread-worthy but just curious to see what percentage of people think goaltending is a problem going into the playoffs?

Personally, I don't think it is. I'm pretty confident that they'll likely be competent relative to the team in front of them; soup (or possibly stints of Mrazek) should likely make the timely stops when the time arises. The team is at least built to bail out goaltending even if that's not the norm. Goaltending consistency is Hogwarts sorcery to me but I feel this goaltending drought is at least a bit overblown even if it's costing them some regular season points.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
It's absolutely a problem right now. It's single-handedly costing us games.

That said, just as the flip switched from great goaltending to horrific goaltending, it could just as easily flip back to great goaltending before the playoffs hit, or in the playoffs. There is some concern with Campbell's mental state right now, and ability to pull himself out of it, but both Campbell and Mrazek are solid goalies with the ability to go on a run, and there aren't really any realistic external options.

Like we've seen so many times, just gotta have your goalie get hot at the right time.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Goaltending but also defense. We can't seem to clear the net and let people just walk in on the paint and screen our goalies. We miss Muzzin dearly right now, along with someone with a respectable save percentage.

Reactions: Atrusai

9Iron

Nov 25, 2009
It will def cost us 1st place, so it's already inflicted real consequences , not to mention the drop in team confidence/belief which is HUGE and this team cannot afford.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Goaltending is a huge problem until it isn't. Unless Campbell has acquired some new medical issue it is extremely unlikely this shitty play continues. His history is playing way above the recent level. He was .934 1.84 last playoffs and he isn't the only player ever outdueled by Price. BUT on the chance he doesn't get it back, I have zero faith in Mrazek. They need Fleury, if in fact he is available because .911 with this Hawks lineup is impressive. Maybe Jack recovers his mojo and is still their guy ion the playoffs but it should be because he is rolling and not because he is just a bit better than Mrazek.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Campbell or Mrazek, it will make no difference who is in net when the defense isn't strong enough. Poor gap control and backing in allowing the oppositions forwards into the prime scoring areas are two of our main problems. We also have ONLY ONE D that can clear the front of the net now that Muzzin is out. We need more than just Lyubushkin now.

The forward group has to be better as well defensively. They often give away the puck in bad situations. They don't support our D much at all as well. They need to have as much commitment to preventing goals against, as they do in scoring nothing but pretty goals. They need to get their nose dirty at BOTH ends of the ice. The pretty boys seem to avoid the heavy hitting areas of the ice.

JMHO

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
My vote would lie somewhere in the middle of the two extremes. I'm of the belief that the offence should be expected to carry this team to victory more often than not. That being stated, I couldn't put forth a reasonable argument against too much being asked of the offence over this most recent stretch of games.

Reactions: Cams

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
It was a problem last year. Campbell was great for 4 games and awful in the final 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It's not just a problem, it's our most glaring problem.

We're solid enough everywhere else even if we stand pat.

Reactions: Racer88

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
I want this post archived. I said Schenn was not all that good, I said, Ryan O'
rellly was top five material and I am saying NOW

Give Jack a small break, he is still great.

Needs support and blah blah blah. The guy is greatest personality since Johnny Bower, and has mad skills.

Give him a break, shut up and let him work things out.

This guy was a first round pick and bottomed out so far in the ECHL.

So, he beats himself enough. Doesn;t need any of us piling on..

Lay off this great guy.,

Stop trolling him... Lay off of him give him ten more games

Piling in this guy, you should be ashamed, of yourselves.

Give him a bit of internet space.,

Heard.

Kadri, Marchment, Reimer, Anderssen....Do I need to say anything? More?

Campbell was one of the top three goalies in the world

Did he lose that ability?

To many on this board, ya

To me, no, lets let Jack find that Jack again

And yeah that is whY I make more than most NHL players..

And is what I do tough? Ya, I gotta tell a jack, dude, you suck right now.

Most clients crumble right away, they are THAT beaten down and fragile

Jack Campbell, there is still some OR a lot of vezina in him.

Lets see how the mlse trust, handles a goalie that HANDLED the NHL.

If I was a rival gm, I would love to sign jack campbell.

Take his personality, and add a 922 sv %.

Millions and millions of dollah;s

Jack you go dog

Last edited:
Reactions: Gilles Meloche

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
At this point I think Mrazek is a better bet to get the team points.

He isn't supposed to be the starter.

to be fair…‘ says who?
We don’t know what dubas thought. But he signed a vet 1a goalie who has been a playoff starter for multiple years.

we wanted Campbell to be be the starter but who knows how much the leafs trust him

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Cujo, I see a Cujo in Campbell... But this city can break down almost anyone.

'Jack, is our Stanley Cup champion.

Book it, without him, ..... well, go argo;s

Get behind the guy, he is great, he just isn't having it right now.

LAY OFF HIM , for ten games.

Nothing up or down, let him find his groove and he will imo, carry this team again

So for ten, ferme la bouche.

If Campbell wins the Cup for Toronto, you all know, this guy will be...

Right? Auston will be right?

You don't think these guys know this, and feel it?

Brian Burke, could not handle the pressure towards the end?

Campbell, Nylander? Matthews, Tavares?:

Marner?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
w2otkbu.png

Reactions: Magic Man

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
There needs to be a third option "Maybe", or "We'll see", etc.

I voted "No chance" as there were only two simply because there's still have plenty of time for Campbell to rebound. Hey, it's not like he hasn't played well in years, we're talking a couple of months. He can get his game back, doesn't mean he will, but he can.

Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure the Panthers board isn't this concerned even though Bob has similar season numbers than Jack.

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
Goaltending is a huge problem until it isn't. Unless Campbell has acquired some new medical issue it is extremely unlikely this shitty play continues. His history is playing way above the recent level. He was .934 1.84 last playoffs and he isn't the only player ever outdueled by Price. BUT on the chance he doesn't get it back, I have zero faith in Mrazek. They need Fleury, if in fact he is available because .911 with this Hawks lineup is impressive. Maybe Jack recovers his mojo and is still their guy ion the playoffs but it should be because he is rolling and not because he is just a bit better than Mrazek.

MAF IS NOT AVAILABLE.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
There are [32 teams/64 goalies] in the NHL and Mrazek is #61 in SV% with .890 and #51st in GAA with 3.22 [among goalies having played min 10 games]

NHL Stats

Those stats barely make him NHL qualified goalie at this point based on his performance, and he was intended and signed as #1B split option.

Leafs go into a game thinking we need to score at least 4 and maybe more to offset this level of goaltending. With just 1/4 of a season left to figure this out something has to give soon.

PS. In comparison to the goalie he replaced .. Freddy Anderson is #3 in the NHL in both sv% .928 and 2.08 GAA and Leafs only saved $700K from him to Mrazek.

Reactions: Coachcorner

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
There are [32 teams/64 goalies] in the NHL and Mrazek is #61 in SV% with .890 and #51st in GAA with 3.22 [among goalies having played min 10 games]

NHL Stats

Those stats barely make him NHL qualified goalie at this point based on his performance, and he was intended and signed as #1B split option.

Leafs go into a game thinking we need to score at least 4 and maybe more to offset this level of goaltending. With just 1/4 of a season left to figure this out something has to give soon.

PS. In comparison to the goalie he replaced .. Freddy Anderson is #3 in the NHL in both sv% .928 and 2.08 GAA and Leafs only saved $700K from him to Mrazek.

From what I remember, Andersen guarantees losing in the playoffs because he can't handle the pressure. At least that's what I read here when people were relentlessly mocking him a few weeks ago. So based on that logic, we're better off with Campbell/Mrazek, hell we're better off playing a Zamboni driver than Freddie. :)

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

NHL Stats

It’s not like Freddy was ever going to re-sign here after riding the bench for the playoffs

Reactions: Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad