Post-Game Talk: Goaltending can’t bail us out forever | Leafs fall 4-2

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Why are you singling out Leivo?

There's a few guys I'd ax before I got to him last night

Because he doesn't do anything, he doesn't contribute, his breakaway turned out to be the difference, had he scored that goal, then the PP goal they scored makes it 3-1 and the team gets, at least a point, and OT has been good to them so chances are they get 2.

Leivo failed to bury his chance, again like he always does and that turned out to be the difference

If he wants a regular spot next year he HAS to bury chances like that breakawa, he HAS to contribute and he is meant to be a scorer, so in this case he has to score, he doesn't

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
A unique phenomenom of the anonymity of the internet is peoples' lack of being able to accept people have differing opinions. It's so easy to tongue lash someone without repercussion.

I have fallen 'a bit out of love' with Babcock now that his shortcomings have become apparent. Other love the guy - big whoop-dee-do....hopefully he isn't as ultimately stubborn as we are led to believe.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Ok, but did any reporter take him on about an issue that's been going on or are they still intimidated by him?
He explained that the leafs gifted the flyers 2 goals, the own goal by Moore that tied the game and the go ahead goal.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
From Jonas Siegel's piece today in The Athletic:

“The Leafs have been outshot 13 times in the last 17 games (when the 12-4-1 hot streak began) while sitting at about 47 per cent possession with a sky-high PDO of 104.2. The club's 5-on-5 save percentage during that stretch is an outrageous .956 and .946 (!) on high danger shots.

The next closest team, for context's sake, is .919 — belonging to Jonathan Quick's L.A. Kings.”

5-vs-5 HDCF in the last 17 games, I didn't bother to count scoring chances because I know what the numbers will be

5-vs-5 HDCF in the last 17 games,
  • HDCF 147 ~ Leafs
  • HDCA 143
Jonas doing good work i see, maybe CNN will hire him lol

Last edited:
Reactions: PromisedLand

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Issues. I don't listen to press conferences, not sure what they aren't asking.

Well that's what I'm wondering if the media are still a little awestruck by him to ask more tactical questions. Polak vs. Carrick would be a nice place to start.

Most of it's just basic line up news and what he thinks of player "x" or "y".

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Because he doesn't do anything, he doesn't contribute, his breakaway turned out to be the difference, had he scored that goal, then the PP goal they scored makes it 3-1 and the team gets, at least a point, and OT has been good to them so chances are they get 2.

Leivo failed to bury his chance, again like he always does and that turned out to be the difference

If he wants a regular spot next year he HAS to bury chances like that breakawa, he HAS to contribute and he is meant to be a scorer, so in this case he has to score, he doesn't

It's one breakaway, there not all going to go in that's just a fact of life

He played well last night on a team that was pretty average by and large

That's all you can ask of the guy

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
5-vs-5 HDCF in the last 17 games, I didn't bother to count scoring chances because I know what the numbers will be

5-vs-5 HDCF in the last 17 games,
  • HDCF 147 ~ Leafs
  • HDCA 143
Tampa 5-vs-5 HDCF in the last 17 games,
  • HDCF 107 ~ tampa
  • HDCA 173
Jonas doing good work i see, maybe CNN will hire him lol
I don't think I'm following you, how does that have anything to do with or refute what he posted?

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
He is being selective on his stats and not showing entire picture.
I mean, according to the stats you posted, the Leafs in their last 17 games have been pretty equal in HDCF and HDCA. We’re not really outplaying teams, just matching them. Yet they’re winning quite a bit of games while you’d expect them to be around .500. So if we have around the same number of high danger chances for and against, and are still winning, the most likely conclusion is that Andersen stops HD chances more frequently than opposing goalies. Which is what Seigals stats also say. Also high danger chance do apply context, but it’s a little disingenuous to only look at them. Low and medium danger chances can go in as well, and there hasn’t been any study yet to my knowledge to show their effects are non-material. It’s why I think xGF stats are the most interesting stat going forward. There’s a lot of work that still needs to be done with them, but hopefully there’s progress soon

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
This is what me and a few other posters have been trying to stress for awhile, but the Babcock worship crew just refuses to see the forest for the trees. We are winning in the absolute worst fashion and it's bound to come crashing down if things don't start shaping up.

Relying on a .956sv% at even strength for winning is absolutely horrible.

What boggles my mind is that this is if not same then at least similar trend to Carlyle era hockey where few posters would chime getting outshot and winning is going to catch up while others would say heyzzzz we won. “Results”

Now some claim yea trend might be the same but we have a different team, roster blah blah

It is a stronger sense of Déjà-vu for me lol

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It's one breakaway, there not all going to go in that's just a fact of life

He played well last night on a team that was pretty average by and large

That's all you can ask of the guy

But it's not 1 breakaway that's just the most recent example, the fact is he does nothing, he doesn't score, he doesn't PK, he doesn't win as many board battles as Hyman, as much as I don't like Hyman on the top line he does win board battles, he does PK, he does have things that he contributes.

Leivo is just there he does nothing, It's OK if you don't score but you have to do SOMETHING

Leivo doesn'tthere is nothing there makes me go "well he doesn't score but he's great at this."

It doesn't exist, and the problem with him not scoring is that's what he's billed as

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I’ve got no issue with using stats as a main part of his analysis but Sometimes though he stubbornly refuses to change his mind on things.

I learned analytics because of him, I got tired of him pushing adv stats on twitter 6-7 years ago lol you need to learn adv stats in order to show its flaws, right.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
This is what me and a few other posters have been trying to stress for awhile, but the Babcock worship crew just refuses to see the forest for the trees. We are winning in the absolute worst fashion and it's bound to come crashing down if things don't start shaping up.

Relying on a .956sv% at even strength for winning is absolutely horrible.

So you resort to name calling.
Well okay.
Thats what we are saying but the all hate Babcock club wont listen.
Works both ways bud.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad