Post-Game Talk: Goaltending can’t bail us out forever | Leafs fall 4-2

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Unfortunately, there's quite a few posters who don't do anything else than trash Babs. One of them actually think he's the worst coach in the NHL.

If you spent a bit too much time reading those discussions, it's easy to be fed up. Babcock is a terrific coach, but he can be very rigid sometimes and the direction he's taken the team this year is definitely questionable.

Whether these people are sane or not, I've seen many posts along the lines of Babcrap is the worst coach in history and it's somewhat annoying.

A very minor few select of posters and very easy to see the ignorance in those kind of posts though. I see people hate on Marner and/or Nylander all the time. Some even think Hyman is the best forechecker in the league, doesn't make me want to generalise those statements as something that is said just by one or two regulars.

Either way, I think the superstar coach deserves his own criticism. He can leave players in the pressbox for weeks/months, demote players at will, seemingly without any real reason... I think he can handle some harsh comments about his performance as a coach and most of them are warranted, especially in the last couple weeks.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I think with more practice time Babcock is trying more defensive tight checking stingy system. It works too most nights. I think we need it to beat Was and Pit of the world.
a defensive stingy system doesn't seem optimal for our mainly offensively gifted lineup

Reactions: weems

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Unfortunately, there's quite a few posters who don't do anything else than trash Babs. One of them actually think he's the worst coach in the NHL.

If you spent a bit too much time reading those discussions, it's easy to be fed up. Babcock is a terrific coach, but he can be very rigid sometimes and the direction he's taken the team this year is definitely questionable.

there is one guy, who only posts outrageous negative takes. And not just on babcock but on anyone associated with the leafs. cyborgman? maybe, anyway he will say babcock is a terrible coach maybe he said worst in the league but when his posting record is pure hatred to all leaf players and coaches you cant take that seriously as belief he is the worst coach in the league.

I personally think babcock is stubborn, and is desperate to play his system despite not having the right players for it we have a fast skating offensive leaning team, so trying to make them New Jersey of old isn't going to work very often. If Andersen doesn't put up .950sv% we would have lost more games than we have one in the last 10-15 games. He also chases matchups far too much, to the point it causes the too many men penalties a lot of the time and reduces ice time from players who were playing well. Nylander was on fire against Calgary? at home a few games ago and it happened to Marner and co too recently, but he sat him instead of playing him and going for the jugular. I prefer a killer instinct when your team is better than most of the teams theya re coming up against not sit back and wait it out.

In saying that he is a good coach and top10 in the league, but his stubbornness doesn't allow this team to play its best currently

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
A very minor few select of posters and very easy to see the ignorance in those kind of posts though. I see people hate on Marner and/or Nylander all the time. Some even think Hyman is the best forechecker in the league, doesn't make me want to generalise those statements as something that is said just by one or two regulars.

Either way, I think the superstar coach deserves his own criticism. He can leave players in the pressbox for weeks/months, demote players at will, seemingly without any real reason... I think he can handle some harsh comments about his performance as a coach and most of them are warranted, especially in the last couple weeks.

Sure, all that's fair. I tend to trust that Babcock knows what he's doing, perhaps too much so. And you're probably right in that it's just a few posters etc., I guess it's the same thing on every subject be it Babcock, Nylander or whatever else.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
A very minor few select of posters and very easy to see the ignorance in those kind of posts though.
It's a small but vocal group. Tuning out the worst posts is an art I forget at times around here.

Absolutely. Nobody is above criticism when warranted. Most of the time, the issue with overly negative posters isn't the criticism itself, it's the conclusions drawn from it. Nothing wrong with thinking that Hyman shouldn't play with Matthews, or that Polak shouldn't be in over Carrick. Thinking that a decision like that means Babcock is an awful coach though...

Reactions: SprDaVE

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
My only point is Babs is a good coach and we are lucky to have him, this sentiment supercedes the criticism of particular things he does, which I feel is necessary to point out, as we tend to get carried away. Reminds me of the criticism Quinn received, now people look back longingly on those teams. Anyways....

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Last year we skated teams into the ground. We had the overall team work ethic of an underdog and brought consistent effort almost every night.

Seems like this season we aren't as willing to do all the little things that in the end add up to bigger gains.

Our puck support and ability to move the puck up the ice as a strong 5 man unit is terrible right now and is one of the main reasons we give up the puck so frequently or ice the puck.

Puck support, puck management, back pressure. All these things sometimes get overlooked but are very important to being a consistently good team.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
From Jonas Siegel's piece today in The Athletic:

“The Leafs have been outshot 13 times in the last 17 games (when the 12-4-1 hot streak began) while sitting at about 47 per cent possession with a sky-high PDO of 104.2. The club's 5-on-5 save percentage during that stretch is an outrageous .956 and .946 (!) on high danger shots.

The next closest team, for context's sake, is .919 — belonging to Jonathan Quick's L.A. Kings.”

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It's a small but vocal group. Tuning out the worst posts is an art I forget at times around here.

Absolutely. Nobody is above criticism when warranted. Most of the time, the issue with overly negative posters isn't the criticism itself, it's the conclusions drawn from it. Nothing wrong with thinking that Hyman shouldn't play with Matthews, or that Polak shouldn't be in over Carrick. Thinking that a decision like that means Babcock is an awful coach though...
It's human nature not to agree with everything.
That's why we grow old Nith, so we gain the wisdom to find fault with everything. LOL, Grandpa Simpson.

We are all going to have different views on line deployment, system tactics, UFA handling and signing, trade proposals, team makeup etc. Some like all skill all the time. Some like grease so greasy it twerks that pole. Some like a balance.

Of course there is a big difference between saying, "I don't like that" and stating Babcock is the worst coach ever or Hyman belongs in the AHL etc. There is also a difference the other way. Saying "I don't like that" doesn't mean you are smarter than Babcock or Lou or I'm not happy with the overall (big picture) job they are doing. After all, do people like the big picture? We can argue about the small stuff (and we do because really, Hyman is the small stuff) but it's the big picture that is the most important IMO.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

“The Leafs have been outshot 13 times in the last 17 games (when the 12-4-1 hot streak began) while sitting at about 47 per cent possession with a sky-high PDO of 104.2. The club's 5-on-5 save percentage during that stretch is an outrageous .956 and .946 (!) on high danger shots.

The next closest team, for context's sake, is .919 — belonging to Jonathan Quick's L.A. Kings.”

It's telling for sure
Out-shot, out-played and more often than not, don't "start on time"
If part of that isn't on coaching......... :dunno:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

This is what me and a few other posters have been trying to stress for awhile, but the Babcock worship crew just refuses to see the forest for the trees. We are winning in the absolute worst fashion and it's bound to come crashing down if things don't start shaping up.

Relying on a .956sv% at even strength for winning is absolutely horrible.

Reactions: Walshy7 and weems

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Babcock is trying to outsmart himself. He thinks he has 4 balanced lines but in reality he has just 1 scoring line and that line goes hot and cold too.

member 262271

It's such an interesting season in that the record is good, but you watch the team on some nights and you can't really put it any other way than they stunk. Hate to bring up the pain again but this is more of it - this is a good team that still doesn't have a lot of things figured out. Year 2 of the rebuild - and hey this precedes another stupid Leafs Stanley cup article, go figure. There is going to be plenty of these games this season - I just hope the boys can pull it together and look to improve even more next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad