Goalies : Strange happenings...

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
I've been watching Devils games this year. I haven't noticed this phenomenon. What is this "scoring" you speak of because all I see are goalies making save after save.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Young goalies- they make the great saves but let in easy ones
Offensive defensemen- they provide better offense and worse defense (obviously). So more scoring

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Early in the season so lots of things not in place the way they will be later on. I think this might just be something we see every season. Somebody cares to find out?

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
A lot more talent coming into the league on a yearly basis. Seems every year we have 5 elite level prospects making the jump, the game is growing. Or maybe the goalies just suck so far

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Small sample size plus a difference in player "readiness" on account of participating in the World Cup of Hockey. Also, the start of the year means that players are getting up to speed. Any (or all) of the aforementioned items' effects are magnified due to the small sample size.

Bathcat

Slavin is mediocre
Jul 26, 2010
Oakland
Scoring is always really high to start a season. Goalies and defensive systems take a while to settle in each year. This same thread happened last year too and every other year.

Equipment didn't change this year.

This is it.

Everything else is wrong or just dumb jokes.

+1 rep to you.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
This is pretty clearly just small sample size. Look at the average save percentage over the seven seasons prior to this one. The difference in save percentage between the lowest and highest average in that time frame is .002 of a percent. I mean that's insanely consistent.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Another interesting thing I'd heard a few days ago, was that to that point in the season there'd been 13 games with multi (3 or more) goal leads blown, and of those 10 resulted in the team that was behind winning the game.

Hopefully all this points to the fact that it's NOT goalie equipment or goal nets that need to be changed, but rather just the rules being called and the systems in play in front of the goalies that need to be massaged through rule updates.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
"Strange Happenings" is going to be the title of the book Marc-Andre Fleury is going to write about his experiences playing the puck outside the crease.

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
Total goals for Leaf games this season... 9,5,9,5,9
:laugh: the eighties are back...

That first game of 9 goals scored is equal to the number of goals NJ has let in so far this year and surpasses their actual goal scoring total in 5 games total.

No scoring increase to see here, it's actually gone down from last year and it was pretty low then. :laugh:

MrGold

Mark Scheifele is a piece of ****
Jan 7, 2012
Equipment didn't change this year.

Are you referring to the changes that didn't make it in this season?

Because they don't believe goalies are letting in goals in anticipation of minor changes next season (nothing changed this year).

Didn't adjusted pants made it in or is nobody wearing those yet? (Heard one analyst talk about it on the radio last weekend)

https://twitter.com/renlavoietva/status/741232826545213440

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...streamlined-pants-by-start-of-upcoming-season

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad