Goalie Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
We are in A dangerous situation in 2 to 3 years from now.

Our GM needs to make a decision on which Goalie to keep.

I think we all agree that we can't keep Vasilevskiy and Bishop after this next season. So all this wishful thinking of keeping both is ludicrous with the many players that we need to give and extend contracts to. you can't keep both. Bishop will require 6 to 7 million for 5 to 7 years (a luongo situation) (Chicago wants out of the Crawford deal btw) ... you can't keep both with what we need to do salary cap wise.

The longer we keep bishop the less we get for him.

If we let vasy go we get nothing for him.

My vote is to keep the possible generational goalie with Vasy for the next 15 years vrs, Bishop at 28 years or so that has proven nothing to me.

Just my opinion and I would like to know yours.

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
Proven nothing after taking the team on a run to the SCF, posting 3 shut outs, all while playing with a torn groin for the last 9 games?

Really dude....

I get some people don't like Bishop, but really....

Every time I've seen Vasi in net lately, he's "ok". He's not the prodigal child that everyone's made him out to be, which worries me. We haven't seen him anywhere near enough to determine if he'll be a solid netminder long term, which is something that needs to happen this season. Bishop might not be the BEST, but he's a damn good goalie.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Proven nothing after taking the team on a run to the SCF, posting 3 shut outs, all while playing with a torn groin for the last 9 games?

Really dude....

I get some people don't like Bishop, but really....

Every time I've seen Vasi in net lately, he's "ok". He's not the prodigal child that everyone's made him out to be, which worries me. We haven't seen him anywhere near enough to determine if he'll be a solid netminder long term, which is something that needs to happen this season. Bishop might not be the BEST, but he's a damn good goalie.

My thoughts EXACTLY, every single point. Besides, why do we HAVE to trade him? Let's get our mileage out of him, use him until his contract expires. Hopefully by then, Vasi is good to go.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

I think we all agree that we can't keep Vasilevskiy and Bishop after this next season. So all this wishful thinking of keeping both is ludicrous with the many players that we need to give and extend contracts to. you can't keep both. Bishop will require 6 to 7 million for 5 to 7 years (a luongo situation) (Chicago wants out of the Crawford deal btw) ... you can't keep both with what we need to do salary cap wise.

My vote is to keep the possible generational goalie with Vasy for the next 15 years vrs, Bishop at 28 years or so that has proven nothing to me.

100 million percent disagree think we can keep both for 2-3 years
bishop is signed for two right now is no force out vasi has proven nothing to me seen too many goalies struggle as sophmores and further into development

if bishop can get back to veniza form and win us the cup with vasi as back up then might be a decision but doubt vasi forces much till he is like 24 the kid is 20 right?

we are way ahead of the curve let him play 20-30 games and learn the game jeez

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Vasilevskiy will be the better goalie, he's just not there yet. Bishop is a mid tier goalie while Vasilevskiy has elite potential. But we need Bishop now since he can handle 60 games while Vasilevskiy can't yet, the issue is how do we get him those reps if he's the backup and too good for the AHL? Trading Bishop isn't the solution unless we get a stupid return for him which I can't see happening. I wish Bishop didn't have a NTC so we could easily trade him with the next two years for value.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why are some people on this forum so eager to move certain players? Especially when these players have done so much for this team on and off the ice, to add to the success, it's unreal. If it's about clearing Cap space, I think some people are being a little too overzealous with something that may or may not be an issue. Some players should not even be in the conversation right now when it comes to moving them. I can understand the Carle claims, but Bishop? After how far he got us in the playoffs?

All I know it's going to be a long summer, man. lol

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
So anyways make your vote already.

Real good points but you can't have both after the next two seasons.

Does anyone besides our GM understand how the cap works?

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
100 million percent disagree think we can keep both for 2-3 years
bishop is signed for two right now is no force out vasi has proven nothing to me seen too many goalies struggle as sophmores and further into development

if bishop can get back to veniza form and win us the cup with vasi as back up then might be a decision but doubt vasi forces much till he is like 24 the kid is 20 right?

we are way ahead of the curve let him play 20-30 games and learn the game jeez

wow .. I'm really disappointed with one of my favorite guys. :) but respect your opinion.

Anyways the question is who do you keep? so you are saying we keep both after the next two seasons?

Last edited:

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
Guys and Gals ... Lets not dodge the question.

Which one do you keep for the future?

all this other stuff avoids answering the question.

In 2 years or 3 years or 5 years they will not be both with the Lightning. Which one do you want to keep?

its a simple question.

ClassicMach

Apr 14, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Vasy is going to be given a lot more games next year, and the year after I would imagine he'll be slowly phased in as the regular starter, Bishop is gone for whatever we can get for him. That's always been the plan, and I just haven't seen anything to tell me that plan needs to change.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Bishop is a fine goalie, but he isn't elite. Vasilevskiy has every opportunity and the raw talent to be elite.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site

Disagree. If Bishop continues to put up good performances in the regular season and playoffs his value won't decrease that much. Also unless Yzerman is idiotic and doesn't qualify Vasy he'd get good value in a trade if he goes with Bishop as the future.

I think Vasy is the future but it's way too early to get worked up over having to choose one. Yzerman will keep Bishop until Vasy is ready to be the guy, who knows when that will be.

Every time I've seen Vasi in net lately, he's "ok". He's not the prodigal child that everyone's made him out to be, which worries me.

Have to remember that this is Vasy's first pro season in NA and it's an adjustment from the bigger ice to the smaller ice as well as the different type of game from the KHL to NHL. He also wasn't getting regular starts and didn't really get into a rhythm in Tampa. I don't think anyone expected him to be in the NHL this year and he played alright given the circumstances, don't think anyone should be worried about him yet.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
You keep Bishop until Vasi looks ready to take over. Yzerman said it best. We spent years trying to find a good goalie. Let's enjoy this for a while.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Why are some people on this forum so eager to move certain players? Especially when these players have done so much for this team on and off the ice, to add to the success, it's unreal. If it's about clearing Cap space, I think some people are being a little too overzealous with something that may or may not be an issue. Some players should not even be in the conversation right now when it comes to moving them. I can understand the Carle claims, but Bishop? After how far he got us in the playoffs?

All I know it's going to be a long summer, man. lol

People love to be overdramatic on these boards. The only right option is to have every player on an entry level deal. Anything more than that is an overpayment to some. Its kinda like the Crawford argument. People complain about him constantly, but he now has the playoff stats of a hall of famer... if you were 20+ teams out there, you would kill for a guy like Crawford on your roster. But if you have him, you tear apart everything he does. Its kinda like the people who say that Toronto should trade Bernier because he's too good for a rebuilding team... I've heard that before. It makes no sense. Keep Bishop for the now. Give Vasi time to grow. Being a back-up may not be ideal, but Tuuka Rask did it for like 2-3 years, and it worked out pretty well for him. If Vasi is who we think he is, he will still be that stud by age 23. Hes a kid still. Give him time to grow up some.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
He's only like 20. He's clearly not ready yet. Bish has proven he's our #1 guy until proven other wise. Two 30+ win seasons and a super impressive and long playoff run (in his first ever playoff start) Relax. We can't rush Vasi. Another couple years of backup, slowly playing more and more games each season will have him ready for when we need him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

We don't agree on that at all. Vasy's 20 years old with plenty of holes in his game. Bishop just got us 2 games from a Stanley Cup despite an offense that sputtered out on him. Bishop is our man for now, Vasy will wait in the wings. When it comes time to pay Vasy real money, we might have a controversy. We're years too early for this discussion.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
This team is WAY more comfortable with Bishop in net than any other goalie in the past 11 years, sorry he's here to stay regardless of his caphit until someone over takes him.

At this point we'd give up Killorn, Filppula or Callahan before losing Bishop.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
wow .. I'm really disappointed with one of my favorite guys. :) but respect your opinion.

Anyways the question is who do you keep? so you are saying we keep both after the next two seasons?

bishop is good for two years i want to see what he brings

i expect a bounce back year better then last year like the first year

i think vasi needs a lot of work overall more talent but is super raw talent

he needs work I dont think he will even be ready after a full year next year

goalies take the longest I do not necessarily agree we cannot keep both a lot will happen in next two seasons stamkos and hedman deals then the other deals players will move from this team

im ok with vasi not being handed the keys till is like 24 im in no rush i feel he will be the future even if bishop wins some cups and wins some vezina trophies

i really believe we resign bishop and then move bishop after he has a contract when vasi is like 24-26 years old and fully ready to be the guy

i expect bishop to win us the cup also as am saying expect his numbers to be better next year so in conversation of best goalie in league

he is gonna have hurts vasi is going to get 20-30 starts for two years they will work it out

vasi is young he will have some turmoil injuries whatever himself before the decision will be made

we will not lose him for nothing or bishop just how steve works would assume or guess on bishop getting paid a new deal before he moves

is soooooo many options to cut salary and when bishop comes up again we might be in situation of expansion making it even easier to run both guys

goalies are very tricky im unsure boltman you get how tricky how many vasi's have their been who totally folded disappeared for years finally to come through? or never come through?

more then most of us can name seriously give it time is really too early to even know the future on some cases for this team and this is really one of those situations that might take the most time.

defenders are hard goalies are much worse most goalies hit a home run in late 20s

this kid is 20 is not his time he will play hard work on his issues maybe shock us and force something early

i doubt it though unless is injury related they will split time for next few years till vasi one day simply is better option and earns his way to top and we move bishop but im betting that is after bishop signs his next deal

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Show me on the doll where Bishop touched you.

Seriously, what's the deal? I'm kind of in the camp that is intrigued to deal Bishop because of what we could get back, where you on the other hand I'm getting the vibe that you don't understand how good he is. Vasya needs another year.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Robert - Vasilevskiy isn't going to wait 4-6 more years to become the starter. He's already in the NHL as a backup, he doesn't need that much more seasoning and is going to get tired of riding the pine. Talbot and Bishop spent years in the NCAA then the AHL before he became backups, Vasilevskiy is way beyond that route. He will be ready in another year, he could take the reigns this year but would have a lot of growing pains. He has some things to work out but he needs to do those in game action.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
So anyways make your vote already.

Real good points but you can't have both after the next two seasons.

Does anyone besides our GM understand how the cap works?

Pretty bold statement. Let me ask you, why? What do you expect Vasya to command in contract negotiations in two years?

The kid is going to be our backup next season (could even go back to Syracuse for all we know) and I doubt Vasya will be our clear-cut starter the season after.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
Yzerman has already said he's gonna let it ride as to our situation. We are young and deep at goalie. We've NEVER had this ever in our history. It's pretty awesome. Yet some people want to get rid of what we have in hopes that a potential can turn it on and be a superstar even though the evidence shows he isn't yet.

Let's ride with Bishop and see where he takes us in the next 2 years because this is his team and not Vasi's. If we go deep the next 2 years, hell if we win a Cup, then what? You jettison Bishop because of money?

We have to see what we have with Vasi first. Because right now I have no idea what we have. I'm not sold. Dude didn't look all that good his last few games regular season and mop up duty in the playoffs. Keep developing him, maybe get a capable backup so he can start a ton of games in Syracuse. But presuming he will be ready in a year or two to step in and play 60 some games is asinine. But it's also a good problem to have. Maybe he progresses and challenges Bishop. Then yes, in 2 years we take a look at what we've got and make a decision. Making that decision now would be a typical dumbass messageboard GM move and set this team back. I don't want the playoffs to be an inconsistent thing. I want 20 straight years of making the postseason. ****ing with your goalie every 2-3 years doesn't help that.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
See the Canucks they ditched two good goalies. Only difference is yzerman is our gm not mike gillis.

Maybe Stevie drafts that Russian goalie tonight improves our depth much more

Life before bishop picking in the NHL draft lottery! Do people not remember this ? Look at buffalo and the oilers with no goalies!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad