Goalie Options for 2015-16 and beyond

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
Goalies don't come in from college and start in the NHL.

See Miller, Howard, Quick, Gibson, Johnson, Montoya, Bishop...and everyone else. They pay their dues. So O'Connor isn't an option for 15-16.

Lindback + Hackett + Loo or Mak, loser plays with Linus in ROC.

John Gibson never went to college, he was in the OHL with the Kitchener Rangers

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Goalies don't come in from college and start in the NHL.

See Miller, Howard, Quick, Gibson, Johnson, Montoya, Bishop...and everyone else. They pay their dues. So O'Connor isn't an option for 15-16.

Lindback + Hackett + Loo or Mak, loser plays with Linus in ROC.

Not sure why you singled out college, 99% of all drafted goalies spend time in the AHL. Aside from Carey Price who still saw AHL games it is a very rare thing for a goalie from any league amateur league to make the jump to the NHL.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Only way I'm taking Crawford is if it's part of a package where we take him off Chicago's hands in exchange for also getting one of their other cap dumps that's actually good

Thats actually good? Crawford is a pretty good goalie.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
No big loss here IMO, but you can probably scratch Enroth off the list, via Google Translate:
The Buffalo Sabres there is at least one opening and Enroth says he would sign a contract with the club without hesitation if it was an offer, but ...
- I do not think they want me back actually, he laughs.
- It feels like they have moved on. They look enough at the other guys. The new general manager ( Tim Murray ) want well put his mark on the team and he has trejdat away quite a few of the old guard, (Tyler) Myers and (Drew) Stafford for example, that the old general manager Darcy Regier had draftat. It feels like they wanna build something of their own, but if they were to hear from would be the number one priority for me.
Enroth not stand in the chair with the Sabres motives. Just as there has been speculation he believes that the temptation to win the draft lottery and be able to pick the super promise Connor McDavid became too big for the club management.
- They had only one goal ... The goal was to come last, he says dry with a shrug.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
No big loss here IMO, but you can probably scratch Enroth off the list, via Google Translate:

Last sentence of the first quotation block seems to read that if the Sabres show interest they'd be his #1 priority? That's interesting considering he could understandably feel pretty bitter about the tanking, not being offered an extension despite some pretty good play, etc. Personally I don't really see the point in bringing him back but it wouldn't be a bad move.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Only way I'm taking Crawford is if it's part of a package where we take him off Chicago's hands in exchange for also getting one of their other cap dumps that's actually good

Crawford is good. If that's just a roundabout way of saying "I don't want to pay a lot of money for a goaltender," fine--though my disagreement on this point is well-documented--but just say that. How is Crawford not "actually good?" The guy has posted a .922 SV% over the last three years, including two seasons at .924 and .926. Henrik Lundqvist's SV% over that same period of time is .923, a minute difference. Over that same period of time, Crawford's been far better than a guy like Jon Quick in the regular season, and he has the playoff chops to match Quick, as well--and my money says they'll have the same amount of Cups in just over a month, too.

While he's closer to 10 than 1, Crawford is a top-10 netminder in this league when considering quality and year-to-year consistency, and I consider the latter to be very important.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Crawford is good. If that's just a roundabout way of saying "I don't want to pay a lot of money for a goaltender," fine--though my disagreement on this point is well-documented--but just say that. How is Crawford not "actually good?" The guy has posted a .922 SV% over the last three years, including two seasons at .924 and .926. Henrik Lundqvist's SV% over that same period of time is .923, a minute difference. Over that same period of time, Crawford's been far better than a guy like Jon Quick in the regular season, and he has the playoff chops to match Quick, as well--and my money says they'll have the same amount of Cups in just over a month, too.

While he's closer to 10 than 1, Crawford is a top-10 netminder in this league when considering quality and year-to-year consistency, and I consider the latter to be very important.

Sorry, by good I meant "positive trade value," which I don't think Crawford has at his age, contract, and position

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I agree with Jame's point that you dont need a top 10 goalie to win a cup but that being said it definitely helps.

Pittsburgh has been struggling for years with Fleury and if you put Lunqvist on that team the chances are they would probably would of won another cup. Along with Boston and LA they had great goaltending to win the cup.

I will take an average goalie at 3-4 Million instead of 6-7 and pay more for the other players but come the Stanley Cup finals I am not going to be feeling good about it.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Sorry, by good I meant "positive trade value," which I don't think Crawford has at his age, contract, and position

I think this supposed relative lack of trade value vis-a-vis his on-ice performance is a wonderful thing for Buffalo if they could swing a deal for him.

Last edited:

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

Last sentence of the first quotation block seems to read that if the Sabres show interest they'd be his #1 priority? That's interesting considering he could understandably feel pretty bitter about the tanking, not being offered an extension despite some pretty good play, etc. Personally I don't really see the point in bringing him back but it wouldn't be a bad move.

The media hyped the two trades more as Murray trying to guarantee more losses in the short-term but I think each trade was just as much about him not seeing either Enroth or Neuvirth as legitimate options to keep on the roster moving forward. Aside from each's suspect ability to be a true # 1 starter, neither has the size or age Murray is building his new core around. With so many other viable options around the league to target in trade for, Murray would have to be backed into a corner before he re-signed either Enroth or Neuvirth IMO.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY

The media hyped the two trades more as Murray trying to guarantee more losses in the short-term but I think each trade was just as much about him not seeing either Enroth or Neuvirth as legitimate options to keep on the roster moving forward. Aside from each's suspect ability to be a true # 1 starter, neither has the size or age Murray is building his new core around. With so many other viable options around the league to target in trade for, Murray would have to be backed into a corner before he re-signed either Enroth or Neuvirth IMO.
Enroth doesn't agree with how Sportsnet spun it:

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I don't agree with everything he says, but he makes some good points.

Sizing up the summer free agent goalie carousel, writes @bcostellothn http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/sizing-up-the-summer-free-agent-goalie-carousel/

Most teams are set between the pipes, but by my count five teams will need to lock down a starting goalie, while another seven teams will need backups.
So, back of the napkin scribblings say Buffalo, Edmonton and San Jose will go with Hiller, Lehner and Niemi as their starters next season – in some order.

And no mention of Lindback as a candidate as a starter or backup!

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Enroth doesn't agree with how Sportsnet spun it:

Yeah, he also called out the original author about it, saying it was spun "unbelievably bad". https://twitter.com/JEnroth125/status/596064721343815680 (Sorry, I don't know how to embed tweets here)

Anyways, at the end of the original article, Enroth says he has decided to try the free agent market. He also says that if the Sabres were to offer him a contract, he would sign "no doubt" and the Sabres would be his top priority if they were interested, however he believes they've moved on.

http://www.hockeysverige.se/2015/05...-klubben-de-hade-bara-ett-mal-att-komma-sist/

Google Translate only gets you so far, especially when the original author appearently took things out of context as well. I'm sure Enroth said what is quoted, but he seems genuinly upset with how it's spun. That, combined with his statement that he would sign with Buffalo tells me that things are taken way out of context. No suprice. It's all 'bout them clicks these days.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
If Jones is a potential candidate Murray looks at for the goalie spot, what is the prevailing theory of what the Kings would expect. From some reports, it sounds as if LA will have a lot of cap issues to sort out and decisions on players like Toffoli, Williams and Sekera to make.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
If Jones is a potential candidate Murray looks at for the goalie spot, what is the prevailing theory of what the Kings would expect. From some reports, it sounds as if LA will have a lot of cap issues to sort out and decisions on players like Toffoli, Williams and Sekera to make.

They got a 2nd (TOR's choice of 2014 or 2015) + Scrivens + Frattin for Bernier, and an early-3rd from Edmonton for Scrivens. My guess would be that Jones' value is somewhere between the two of those goaltenders. If they don't feel JF Berube is ready to be Quick's backup, I'd like NYI 2nd + C. Johnson (50% retained) for Jones. Buffalo eats $650k of Johnson's contract to make him dirt cheap for LA, and sends the 51st pick with him.

I think they're going to roll with Berube next year, though, so I could see us having to offer someone like Larsson + 2nd to get Jones (and maybe something small). Larsson makes some sense for LA because Stoll is likely leaving (or may be heavily punished) and Richards is washed up, so Larsson could give them a bottom-6 center.

I wouldn't love that deal, but I could see it happening. I don't think there's any way that both waiver eligible forwards (Larsson and Grigs) are on Buffalo's roster next season. I also wonder if Tim tries to make it a little bigger deal to get Jordan Weal, who is also waiver eligible next year, but is blocked by Kopitar and Carter according to Kings fans.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I'm not sold on Jones. I rather have a proven starter. Our second goalie can be a younger goalie with potential.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
They got a 2nd (TOR's choice of 2014 or 2015) + Scrivens + Frattin for Bernier, and an early-3rd from Edmonton for Scrivens. My guess would be that Jones' value is somewhere between the two of those goaltenders.

I suspect it would be closer to Scrivens than Bernier: when Bernier got dealt, he had already played 60 NHL games and shown his ability to be a starter. Jones has only 34 games of NHL experience and would be a bit more of a gamble IMO.

If they don't feel JF Berube is ready to be Quick's backup, I'd like NYI 2nd + C. Johnson (50% retained) for Jones. Buffalo eats $650k of Johnson's contract to make him dirt cheap for LA, and sends the 51st pick with him.

I like that thinking - Johnson has no place on the roster next season but I was worried his cap hit would be problematic for LA. I didn't think of the Sabres eating a portion to make it more palatable to Lombardi.

I could see us having to offer someone like Larsson + 2nd to get Jones (and maybe something small). Larsson makes some sense for LA because Stoll is likely leaving (or may be heavily punished) and Richards is washed up, so Larsson could give them a bottom-6 center.

I wouldn't love that deal, but I could see it happening. I don't think there's any way that both waiver eligible forwards (Larsson and Grigs) are on Buffalo's roster next season. I also wonder if Tim tries to make it a little bigger deal to get Jordan Weal, who is also waiver eligible next year, but is blocked by Kopitar and Carter according to Kings fans.

I'd be very reluctant to give up Larsson instead of Grigorenko. The Sabres have Eichel and Reinhart in tow for the top 2 offensive center spots, which is really where Grigorenko would be better suited for on a team than as a 3rd line checking center. Larsson conversely is probably better fitted to that 3rd line, two-way pivot role that can handle a lot of checking assignments.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I honestly believe it will be

Proven Vet (Niemi, Anderson, Elliot, Hiller, etc) in tandem with whoever out of our goalies wins the backup spot at camp, with a slight edge to Johnson since we might lose him via waivers.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I honestly believe it will be

Proven Vet (Niemi, Anderson, Elliot, Hiller, etc) in tandem with whoever out of our goalies wins the backup spot at camp, with a slight edge to Johnson since we might lose him via waivers.

Well, it'll be one of 3 approaches:

The over 30 crowd: Niemi, Anderson, Elliot, Hiller

The 26-30 crowd: Raanta, Hammond, Talbot, Neuvirth, Bernier

The 25 and under crowd: Jones, Lehner, Markstrom, Campbell, Gibson

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
The good but past their prime crowd
The never that good but in their prime and maybe just need a chance crowd
The hopefully will be good in the future crowd

Ad

Upcoming events