Goalie Options for 2015-16 and beyond

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Also, I don't like Suban - from what I've seen, he really hasn't developed the way you'd expect.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I didn't vote because I don't think the presented paths necessarily matter. There are good, decent, and bad choices with either path. What matters is the individual goalie we're talking about and what they're willing to give up for/pay him.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Id like to see us try and offer sheet Jake Allen in St. Louis or Martin Jones in LA. I think LA would be in a tougher position to be able to match anything really since Quick is locked up long term at $5.8. Although I wouldn't mind seeing Jake Allen on our team either. Random fact, Jake and Travis Fullerton (Starting goalie for Elmira) not only faced off on the rink but were also competitors on the golf course as they were the top 2 junior golfers (Got to give Travis the edge since he's a buddy of mine) in New Brunswick.

I think we could trade for Jones without giving up much. Maybe 2 mid-round picks?

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I don't have much interest in a blue chip goalie prospect like Suban unless it comes pretty cheap. No desire to have another goalie getting a big contract ride when our team is hitting its stride. The expendable goalie crowd has won be over. Heck if they want to give him away I'd take Miller back before a youngster that can become our next great goalie. Stop-gaps please.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Offseason Targets: Goalies

While there has been some discussion in the Roster Speculation thread, I guess it hasn't really been focused on "in depth" here.

The goalies. We need at least one goalie to fill our starter role:

UFA:

Niemi - cup winner, has put up average numbers behind a good team in San Jose. Most experienced UFA available.

Ramo/Neuvirth/Enroth/Gustavsson- I lump this group together. Good backups, but good enough to be starters? Not sure.

Potentially available via trade:

Elliot: Solid regular season guy. Rumored to want out of St Louis after another playoff year disappointment.

Crawford: Potential cap causality. Above average starter that doesn't get alot of credit in Chicago. Alot of contract to swallow (5 years/6 M per), however. NMC might preclude the Sabres from getting him.

Howard: Struggled late this year, but has played very well for Detroit the past few years. 4 years left at 5.3 M

Lack: Veteran backup to Ryan Miller, with Markstrom coming up and his impending UFA in 2016, might be the odd man out

Any other thoughts out there?

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
:deadhorse

Our starting goalie, I believe has not been talked about.

I think it will be someone not mentioned. Who, I don't know, I just dont think Murray sees these names as solutions or the trade value will be too much.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Neuvirth from the UFA's and Lehner from the pile of others are my preferences. I would rather take the time to invest in Neuvirth or Lehner than sign Niemi at 31 who has had issues all season.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Connor Hellebuyck

I have no doubt that Murray tried to pry him or Eric Comrie away in the Myers-Kane/Bogo deal, but Winnipeg didn't bite. According to Jets fans, they're going to ride out one more year with Pavelec, hope they can trade him next summer when his contract only has a year left, and then roll with Hutchinson and Hellebuyck.

That Tim couldn't make it work in the context of that ever-expanding deal suggests to me that Winnipeg isn't moving any of their young goaltenders. Can't say I blame them considering that Pavs largely submarined their 2012-13 and 2013-14 seasons with awful goaltending.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I'd actually prefer someone in the 25-27 age range as opposed to the theory of getting a 21-23 year old stud to "grow with the kids." No interest in someone playing great during 3 years of team control and then getting a huge contract right when Eichel, Reinhart, Girgensons, etc. are getting big contracts. Give me someone just hitting UFA now than won't cost a ton 3 years from now.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Trade for one of:
Cam Talbot
Ben Bishop (I assume TB prefers Vasilevskiy long-term)
the goalie above plays out his deal

Sign (1-2 years) one of:
Anders Lindback
Michael Neuvirth
Antti Niemi (I just don't see why he would sign in BUF????)

plus sign Matt O'Connor & add to the developing youngsters (Ullmark, etc.) already in the Sabres system

edit: Forgot about Chad Johnson (I know he's still under contract) and injury status, and waiver status...hmmmmm.....

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Trade for one of:
Cam Talbot
Ben Bishop (I assume TB prefers Vasilevskiy long-term)
the goalie above plays out his deal

Sign (1-2 years) one of:
Anders Lindback
Michael Neuvirth
Antti Niemi (I just don't see why he would sign in BUF????)

plus sign Matt O'Connor & add to the developing youngsters (Ullmark, etc.) already in the Sabres system

edit: Forgot about Chad Johnson (I know he's still under contract) and injury status, and waiver status...hmmmmm.....

Just FYI it was said a week or so ago that the Sabres are out of the running for O'Connor so you'll have to scratch that part

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
As long as the don't give out or take on a long term contract (Crawford... no effin way)... I couldn't care less who they target. It's totally irrelevant. Continue to build and develop the blue line, the center depth, and the 2 way talent. Goaltending is a by-product.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Just a hunch but my guess is that Murray's pecking order for pursuing goalie options would be:

1. Lehner - 6'-4", 24, NHL experience, goalie glut on Sens and the familiarity of scouting and drafting him in Ottawa.
2. Markstrom - 6'-6", 25, odd man out in Vancouver and probably available for minimal return right now.
3. Jones - 6'-4", 187, may cost more from LA than Markstrom (although could Murray offer up expendable Johnson as insurance behind Quick?).
4. Raanta - 6'-0", 187, odd man out in Chicago and probably available for minimal return.

Talbot is a curious option - he's got the size (6'-3", 205) and showed he's probably ready to be a regular starter but he'll be 28 this summer and the Rangers (unless they sign O'Connor) will probably want a prospect and draft pick for him.

I wonder if Campbell (6'-3", 23) may be, or get, on Murray's radar if he shows well at IIHF tourney. He hasn't been able to break through Dallas' system as of yet and it's hard to figure with the rumors that Nill/Ruff want to replace Lehtonen and Enroth this summer if Campbell is in their future plans or not.

I just don't see Murray taking the path of bringing in an older UFA as a stopgap to cover up for youthful mistakes - from what he's said, it seems that he wants a young guy fitting into the age group of his core players and let the goalie develop just like the others will. All of the 4 options listed will have some learning curve and lumps to take as they either grow into an NHL starter or fail at such.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Not sure why Markstrom would be of any interest, especially over someone like Jones. Guy continues to show absolutely nothing at the NHL level.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
If we're looking at guys who aren't in the NHL yet (a la Hellebuyck), what about Matt Murray? Guy seems to get very little attention, but he's 21 and just posted the following stat line in the AHL: 40GP .940sv% 1.58GAA 12SO. Big kid, too, at 6'4". Not sure whether the Pens would be too keen on moving him, but they certainly have more pressing needs than a young goalie on their roster and seem content with Fleury.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
If we're looking at guys who aren't in the NHL yet (a la Hellebuyck), what about Matt Murray? .

I don't think that's what Murray's M.O. is: when describing the ideal profile of players he'd look to trade for (at any position), he said young players in the 22-24 age range with a few years of NHL experience and who were stuck further down their current team's depth chart but are seemingly ready to take the next step with increased roles on a new team. We don't know if O'Connor's initial consideration of Buffalo waned on the part of himself and agent or if Murray decided to back off because of the inexperience factor. The Sabres obviously need a starter for next season and can't wait to solve that hole.

Every guy on the list I noted fits the description Tim Murray outlined. Connor Hellebuyck and Matt Murray wouldn't.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Not sure why Markstrom would be of any interest, especially over someone like Jones. Guy continues to show absolutely nothing at the NHL level.

Maybe so but has he really been afforded an extended opportunity to show himself? He's had a handful of games in Florida and Vancouver but they've been more sporadic and difficult to judge whether he's starter material or just a backup at best.

His physical characteristics, high-ranking and predictably low asking price would suggest Murray may consider him, even if he's not the top choice.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
@Paxon - thanks for the update re: O'Connor. I am not disappointed, as I viewed the Sabres association with him as more of a "the situation fits for both, so we'll report is as a possibility" thing. I didn't perceive an uncharacteristically strong attraction either way (BUF for O'Connor, or vice-versa).

I don't think that's what Murray's M.O. is: when describing the ideal profile of players he'd look to trade for (at any position), he said young players in the 22-24 age range with a few years of NHL experience and who were stuck further down their current team's depth chart but are seemingly ready to take the next step with increased roles on a new team. We don't know if O'Connor's initial consideration of Buffalo waned on the part of himself and agent or if Murray decided to back off because of the inexperience factor. The Sabres obviously need a starter for next season and can't wait to solve that hole.

Every guy on the list I noted fits the description Tim Murray outlined. Connor Hellebuyck and Matt Murray wouldn't.

In your view, does Cam Talbot fit that profile? He's older, but with <60 NHL games. Do you think Talbot has talent anywhere near the other comparables, or is his success a result of McDonagh, Boyle, Staal, Girardi, etc.

I ruled out Niemi because of the age and the Sabres situation. He'd be age-gapped from everyone but Gorges, Gionta, Moulson, - Murray's designated leadership vets. Niemi likely has no interest going to a rebuilding team with ~4 years before a deep playoff run. I just don't see the fit, and see no reason for Murray to entice with extra money.

Bishop is similarly older, but has the advantage of being signed for another couple years and if TB wants to switch to Vasilevskiy before the end of Bishop's contract, Murray may be able to persuade them to cut Bishop's bait sooner and fish with Andrei. If I were Yzerman, I'd go one more year with both, then decide. Especially if (as it looks) TB is going to the ECF.

If I'm a bettor (I'm not), I think Lindback will be back, regardless of who the other goalie is.

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
@Paxon - thanks for the update re: O'Connor. I am not disappointed, as I viewed the Sabres association with him as more of a "the situation fits for both, so we'll report is as a possibility" thing. I didn't perceive an uncharacteristically strong attraction either way (BUF for O'Connor, or vice-versa).

In your view, does Cam Talbot fit that profile? He's older, but with <60 NHL games. Do you think Talbot has talent anywhere near the other comparables, or is his success a result of McDonagh, Boyle, Staal, Girardi, etc.

I ruled out Niemi because of the age and the Sabres situation. He'd be age-gapped from everyone but Gorges, Gionta, Moulson, - Murray's designated leadership vets. Niemi likely has no interest going to a rebuilding team with ~4 years before a deep playoff run. I just don't see the fit, and see no reason for Murray to entice with extra money.

Bishop is similarly older, but has the advantage of being signed for another couple years and if TB wants to switch to Vasilevskiy before the end of Bishop's contract, Murray may be able to persuade them to cut Bishop's bait sooner and fish with Andrei. If I were Yzerman, I'd go one more year with both, then decide. Especially if (as it looks) TB is going to the ECF.

If I'm a bettor (I'm not), I think Lindback will be back, regardless of who the other goalie is.

If definitely he interested in Talbot. He's shown he can start and succeed. Particularly this season when Lundquist was out for a spell... He'd make a nice stop gap option. Until one of Peterson, Ullmark, etc, are ready to take over.

Plus his glow in the dark ghostbusters mask is awesome.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

Talbot may be the most proven commodity of the 2nd stringers rumored to be available, simply because he had to play a lot of consecutive games during Lundqvist's injury and played well in doing so - which is the first test for a potential starter. Granted, he had a strong defense in front of him but he still looked solid.

That said, my gut says his age would be a negative for Murray as would the asking price the Rangers are sure to push for.

I don't see Yzerman switching from Bishop anytime soon - even moreso if they advance far into the playoffs.

I can see that possibility but only as the back-up plan. I think Murray will want a better option as the hopeful starter next season.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Talbot may be the most proven commodity of the 2nd stringers rumored to be available, simply because he had to play a lot of consecutive games during Lundqvist's injury and played well in doing so - which is the first test for a potential starter. Granted, he had a strong defense in front of him but he still looked solid.

That said, my gut says his age would be a negative for Murray as would the asking price the Rangers are sure to push for.

I don't see Yzerman switching from Bishop anytime soon - even moreso if they advance far into the playoffs.

I can see that possibility but only as the back-up plan. I think Murray will want a better option as the hopeful starter next season.

I agree on all points. But I still hope they tap the pads hard on Talbot.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Crawford: Potential cap causality. Above average starter that doesn't get alot of credit in Chicago. Alot of contract to swallow (5 years/6 M per), however. NMC might preclude the Sabres from getting him.

As long as the don't give out or take on a long term contract (Crawford... no effin way)... I couldn't care less who they target. It's totally irrelevant. Continue to build and develop the blue line, the center depth, and the 2 way talent. Goaltending is a by-product.

Crawford only has 4 yrs left on his deal and is only 30 yrs old

I actually think he would be perfect for Sabres if he is on trade block this summer. Would provide stability behind your kids and Darling/Raanta have both spoken highly of him as teammate so if Sabres have a young goalie coming thru in future he would be perfect mentor for him

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Only way I'm taking Crawford is if it's part of a package where we take him off Chicago's hands in exchange for also getting one of their other cap dumps that's actually good

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
Lindback wants to play here, we wont be good for a year or two anyway, why not give Lindback the job for a wile, seems with even a total tire-fire of a team he was not awful..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad