Goalie Options for 2015-16 and beyond

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
I think we all know one of our biggest needs going forward is who will be our goaltender(s). We've had a little bit of a roulette the past two years, but if this is our last tank year, we're gonna need to decide which direction we want to go.

Option 1: Matt O'Connor, College UFA
Pro: Size, Free Asset, Upward Progression trend, Entry level contract
Con: Inexperience

The general consensus #1 college ufa this year, O'Connor seems to have narrowed down his list to four teams. Edmonton, Ottawa, NYR, and Buffalo. If O'Connor is looking for a place to potentially burn a year of his entry level contract, and also have the opportunity for significant play time next year, Edmonton or Buffalo would be his best bet. Murray likes big goalies, and has a pretty decent eye for talent. Would you feel comfortable with O'Connor moving forward?

Option 2: UFA Route (15: Enroth, Neuvirth, Niemi, Ramo, Lindback)( 16: Ward, Hiller, Talbot, Lack)
Pros: Somewhat proven goalies, familiarity, reclamation project potential ie Dubnyk
Cons: No real true #1s, potential over-payment

The Sabres could choose to go the more experienced route and grab a UFA this off-season or the next. There's familiarity with some of the players (Lindback, Enroth, Neuvirth) but as much as that's a positive knowing what they can bring, we've also seen where their short comings are. You also may run into the problem where you have a few teams fighting over the small list of quality goalie's, that the price for them goes up a little more than you would prefer.

Option 3: Current System (Ullmark, Makarov, Hackett, Peterson, etc)
Pros: Already in the system, young guys to grow with core, some high potential
Cons: Inexperience, hoping on potential to hit, time

The Sabres could choose to go with one of the young guys they currently have. Makarov and Hackett have been in the system for awhile now, played a few season with Rochester, and perhaps you give them a shot to seize the job. Ullmark has high potential, and should be coming to North America for next season, do you rush him to an NHL job, or see how he grows in the AHL next year. He's struggled a bit this year (behind a piss poor MODO team), but letting him grow in ROCH would potentially mean a little longer on the waiting game here. Peterson is still a few years off himself so he's really a non option at this point if your looking to contend soon. Most goalies don't really settle into their game till their late 20s (Dubnyk, Hammond, etc), rolling with a young guy could be playing with fire, sometimes risks go in your favor.

Option 4: Trade (Gibson, Lehner, Lack, Mrazek/Howard, Bishop/Vasilevski, etc)
Pros: Highest potential with somewhat proven trackrecord, some would be on entry level deals/cheaper contracts, chance to step up and seize a role and grow with new core
Cons: Would not come cheap

The Sabres have been linked with some of these options in the past, directly, or indirectly. Murray has even said, they've looked into some guys who may be current backups or in 1A-1B situations. Just recently, Friedman has linked Gibson with the Sabres:

Buffalo, Toronto have been among the teams that call them and say, ‘What are you doing with Andersen and Gibson? What’s your plan? How much longer until you decide you have to move one of them?’
http://www.nicholsonhockey.com/wort...fs-may-have-interest-in-ducks-gibson-andersen

Murray was involved with the Lehner selection is Ottawa, maybe he looks to bring him here now that he''s potentially available. Mrazek/Howard & Bishop/Vasilevski are both two situations where there's a #1 there who just got paid. Howard is under contract till 2019, Bishop just signed a 2 year extension. Both young guys though are high talent guys that won't be backups for long. So either their respective teams will stick with their current #1s and move the young guys, or they'll let their #1s go for the younger guys as they won't be able to/shouldn't pay both goalies a significant portion of their cap space. But trading for any of these guys would not come cheap. Would you pay the potential cost for one of these guys?

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
I hope they try more than one of these routes to find a goalie of the future. A UFA signing can easily hold down the fort for the next year or two. Matt O'Connor would be a great free, no-risk asset to bring in. It would be great to let him and Ullmark battle it out in Rochester next year while a couple of stopgap UFAs fight it out up in Buffalo next year.

I wouldn't be opposed to a trade, but it really depends on who is available and what the price is. If Ottawa is selling low on Lehner, he would be a great option. I think he's one of these big goalies that will all the sudden break out like Ben Bishop. Martin Jones also would be pretty interesting. Beyond Lehner and Jones, though, I think all the other obvious targets will be held for at least another year by their teams. I expect Howard/Mrazek, Bishop/Vasilevski, Lundqvist/Talbot, Andersen/Gibson, and Miller/Lack to all be back with their current teams next year. The earliest I see the Wings, Lightning, and Ducks making any decisions on their impending controversies will be in the 2016 offseason IMO.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Goalies don't come in from college and start in the NHL.

See Miller, Howard, Quick, Gibson, Johnson, Montoya, Bishop...and everyone else. They pay their dues. So O'Connor isn't an option for 15-16.

Lindback + Hackett + Loo or Mak, loser plays with Linus in ROC.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Unless you have your sure fire solution, don't spend a ton of dough and/or waste the opportunity to see what you have in house.

If we know next year is not a contending team, wouldn't NOW be the time to see what we have with Hack/Liew/Makk? This next year is year of assessment.

Three goalies
Varone/Schaller
Ruhwedel
Deslauriers?

Are these guys part of anything? Hodgson ? Gionta? Gorges? Are they playing out deals? Worth re inking someone like Gorges for bottom pairing in three years?

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Pipedream scenario:

1) Sign O'Connor. Let Ullmark and O'Connor compete in Amerks next season.

2) Sign Niemi to a 2-3-year contract.

3) Trade for a young co-goalie (Pickard, Jones, Gibson etc.)

Let Niemi and young co-goalie split the games roughly 50-30.

After Niemi's contract expires, you should have pretty good chances that at least one of Ullmark, O'Connor or the traded one develops as a starter. The you have Petersen and Johansen in the system, perhaps playing in Amerks.

The biggest question of course would be the price of this young co-starter.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
UFA. Any combination of two of the goaltenders we had this season will do, IMO.
Sign Lindback, sign Neuvirth or keep Hackett. If you can get Lehner for a 2nd, you do it.
Goalies these days are such a weird breed. Outside of the few superstars like Price it seems like any goalie can become hot at any time. Maybe Lindback becomes the next Dubnyk, who knows.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
Why is Matt O'Connell even a consideration? The guy isn't jumping from college to an NHL starter. If you think that you have no clue.

I'd like to see them sign O'Connell but you have to think about rosters spots.

Ullmark will be playing along with one of our current guys. I do not see them walking away from Markarov and Lieuwen.

Hackett will likely be on the Sabres roster with an UFA goalie.

Would we be sending O'Connell to the ECHL? Seems like the only option.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Why is Matt O'Connell even a consideration? The guy isn't jumping from college to an NHL starter. If you think that you have no clue.

I'd like to see them sign O'Connell but you have to think about rosters spots.

Ullmark will be playing along with one of our current guys. I do not see them walking away from Markarov and Lieuwen.

Hackett will likely be on the Sabres roster with an UFA goalie.

Would we be sending O'Connell to the ECHL? Seems like the only option.

Liuewen most likely will not be offered a contract. His concussion symptoms are just too risky atm.

Hackett most likely won't be offered a contract either. He hasn't really shown any reason to offer him a contract. You rather pick Eddie Läck or Jacob Markström (or someone like them) from the waivers at the start of the year, than offer a contract to Hackett.

Chad Johnson most likely will be bought out.

Makarov has shown flashes of brilliance, but his efforts in overall are way too inconsistent even in AHL. It's a long shot to think, he would become a consistent NHL-starter in the future.

O'Connor, if signed, most likely won't be in the Sabres' roster next season. He will be in Rochester with Ullmark. Makarov will battle against them, but is likely in ECHL or traded.

I just don't think that outside of the slim chance that Lindbäck gets an extension, either of our roster goalies are in the organization yet, or will be before this season ends.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I think/hope they'd pursue more than one of those options. For next season, the most viable options look like trading for Lehner (if OTT keeps Hammond) or signing Niemi, Neuvirth, or Lindback. Beyond that, I still have high hopes for Ullmark, and Anaheim/Tampa won't be able to keep 2 starters around forever.

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006
Bridge to Ullmark etc. with two years of a decent UFA. Only would want a trade if it came cheap.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I think/hope they'd pursue more than one of those options.

I don't think there's room on the roster for BOTH kinds of moves.

Johnson still has a year left on his contract, and I'm willing to bet that he goes into camp as either the 1B or the backup.

Ullmark and Makarov probably have Rochester covered.

So that essentially leaves one spot...and I'd prefer if we use an asset or two to snag a younger goalie that's ready to be a 1A or a straight-up starter.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I'd keep an eye on what's happening in Detroit. One of Howard/Gustavsson will be available with Mrazek emerging this year.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
I forgot that Chad Johnson's contract runs into next year. To those saying that he'll be bought out, I really doubt that. If he doesn't make the team next year, it makes way more sense to eat his contract in the minors next year rather than be eating dead cap in 2015-16 and 2016-17. I doubt this team will spend close to the cap in 16-17, but you never know. I'd like to see him get a chance to win the backup role here ultimately.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
I'd keep an eye on what's happening in Detroit. One of Howard/Gustavsson will be available with Mrazek emerging this year.

I don't any part of Howard's contract, plus I think Detroit will wait for Mrazek to prove himself for another year before making a decision there. Isn't Gustavsson a UFA this offseason anyway?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I go with the UFA route....for 2-3 years.

The time to go for Gibson or Anderson is 2016 when Anderson contract is done. Then Anaheim will need to decide.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I don't think there's room on the roster for BOTH kinds of moves.

Johnson still has a year left on his contract, and I'm willing to bet that he goes into camp as either the 1B or the backup.

Ullmark and Makarov probably have Rochester covered.

So that essentially leaves one spot...and I'd prefer if we use an asset or two to snag a younger goalie that's ready to be a 1A or a straight-up starter.

Short term vs long term. We need to find at least a serviceable starter for next season or 3. This team ought to start getting more competitive next season, and we need a goalie who won't single-handedly lose us games. After that, I'd prefer a young guy to emerge with the rest of the team, whether that's a guy we drafted or a guy we trade for. The only option in the OP that covers both of those bases and could reasonably happen this summer is Lehner (Anaheim and Tampa are going to be in no hurry to move one of their guys as long as they have them on cheap contracts and can afford both without having to make sacrifices elsewhere on their rosters).

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
We could be looking at some sort of fill in for next season. From what I've read, Anaheim, Tampa and Detroit are probably going to hold off moving a goalie at least until '16 off season. Not real high on Hackett and as much as I love Ullmark, he'll more than likely be subjected to at least a full season in ROC. I wouldn't be surprised to see Neuvirth coming back to prove some consistency in his game. TM clearly liked him and with the prospect of starting all season, why wouldn't Neuvy want to come back. From there, things should shake out.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I think Hackett should get a few more NHL starts this season. I'd like to see more out of him, as I believe he could play with us next season.

georgegolfer11

Feb 10, 2015
Id like to see us try and offer sheet Jake Allen in St. Louis or Martin Jones in LA. I think LA would be in a tougher position to be able to match anything really since Quick is locked up long term at $5.8. Although I wouldn't mind seeing Jake Allen on our team either. Random fact, Jake and Travis Fullerton (Starting goalie for Elmira) not only faced off on the rink but were also competitors on the golf course as they were the top 2 junior golfers (Got to give Travis the edge since he's a buddy of mine) in New Brunswick.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Ullmark is the future. Get somebody to bridge until he is ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad