Speculation: Go All In or Be Patient?

Go All In or Be Patient

• Total voters

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I see a lot of different views on what should happen with the team going forward, and I'm curious which option you would prefer?

1) Go All In - In this scenerio the team does everything it can to land Karlsson/OEL or Carlson. They use assets to get rid of some bad contracts and and use other assets to bring in more secondary scoring. Going this route could have a very good roster, but we would be bare for both picks and prospects.

2) Be Patient - We are adding another high pick to a pretty solid prospect pool. Are we better off being patient for our 2018 pick (likely a dman), Pulju, Yama, Bear and Jones while waiting out some of these bad contracts?

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
In the cap world - it is almost impossible to go "all in" without paying a heavy price shortly down the road. This team, like it or not, is not there IMO.

I selected "patient" but that assumes we have competent management that can develop prospects and create a team that can win for 10 -15 years.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
patience

this organization lacks depth...in the NHL and AHL

they desperately need to build it up

This is what I've been thinking too.

It seems like Chiarelli has a pretty solid track record recently for drafting (and brought many guys from Boston with him).

Check out his last draft in Boston. He had 5 picks and the only one not on the roster this season is his 7th rounder. Pastrnak, Danato and Heinen all looking pretty darn good.

Our later round picks have been much better as of late too. Bear, Jones and Maximov all have me excited.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
This is what I've been thinking too.

It seems like Chiarelli has a pretty solid track record recently for drafting (and brought many guys from Boston with him).

Check out his last draft in Boston. He had 5 picks and the only one not on the roster this season is his 7th rounder. Pastrnak, Danato and Heinen all looking pretty darn good.

Our later round picks have been much better as of late too. Bear, Jones and Maximov all have me excited.

I agree with this. If Chia is sticking around then I hope we play to his strengths (draft) rather than his weaknesses (trading and making "all in" decisions)

Reactions: dawunderboy

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I agree with this. If Chia is sticking around then I hope we play to his strengths (draft) rather than his weaknesses (trading and making "all in" decisions)

Chia's drafting isn't great.

Keith Gretzky is the one who ran the last few Bruin drafts and did a pretty good job, but we have Keith Gretzky. And we can keep Keith Gretzky.

Jeff Gorton set up the Bruins Cup win by drafting Kessel, Marchand, Lucic in 2006. He then handed the team over to Chia.

You look at Boston's 2007, 2008, and 2009 drafts and they are mediocre/poor.

You don't need to keep a GM who is bad at trades and contracts under the guise of "drafting". Simply keep the guy who handles the drafting (Keith Gretzky) and dump the GM who can't trade or negotiate a contract win.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Chia's drafting isn't great.

Keith Gretzky is the one who ran the last few Bruin drafts and did a pretty good job, but we have Keith Gretzky. And we can keep Keith Gretzky.

Jeff Gorton set up the Bruins Cup win by drafting Kessel, Marchand, Lucic in 2006. He then handed the team over to Chia.

You look at Boston's 2007, 2008, and 2009 drafts and they are mediocre/poor.

You don't need to keep a GM who is bad at trades and contracts under the guise of "drafting". Simply keep the guy who handles the drafting (Keith Gretzky) and dump the GM who can't trade or negotiate a contract win.

So if the amateur scout gets all the credit for good drafting..why don't the pro scouts get all the blame for trades?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think they have to go more for a patient approach.

I dont think they have enough depth to go all in. They would be creating holes by filling holes.

Maybe they can be more aggressive one year at the trade deadline if the season is going well.

Question is: Is the drafting and development good enough with Chiarelli/Gretzky for a patience approach?. Too soon to know really.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
We have nothing to go all in with. Even if we try to go all in, say, by swinging a huge deal for Karlsson, we're just being patient waiting for picks to shore up what's left of our depth.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Half way. I'd move a LD for a RH PP D but I would not add a significant roster player without moving significant salary out.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
We don’t have either the depth or the cap space to go “all in”, trading guys like Draisaitl or RNH just create different holes and outside of maybe Sekera, I don’t see Russel or Lucic waiving.

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton
We don't have the money to go all in, and trading assets to get rid of under performing players is just asking for more trouble down the road.

It's high time to fix the real problem: drafting, developing and pro scouting. Focus the organization with this task only. If the best trades of any importance that we can make with other teams is Hall for Larsson or Reinheart for Brazal and a high 2nd, than maybe we shouldn't do big deals.

What happens this season if the Oilers just draft Barzal instead of trading for Reinheart. Competent secondary scoring goes a long way on masking the Oilers problems this year. I know people say we wouldn't have drafted Brazal, my only answer to that is it's time to fix the real problem with this team, the Islanders were giddy to draft him. That Reinheart trade pisses me off way more than the Hall one. It was always a bad deal.

This is going back sometime but it shows how long this team has been awful at the draft: I remember when the Oilers traded down to draft Pouliot in the '03 draft, the hilarious thing is they talked about drafting the right player Parise but didn't want to do it because they already had smaller forwards (Comrie, i think was their excuse) and didn't want to draft any more. The draft, unless you're picking in the top 3, is about 3-5 years down the road. What genius working for the Oilers knows what the team is going to look like in 3 years?

We lost, heavily, for ten years and have very little to show for it. I'm not talking about first overall picks, you're supposed to get a good player there (even at first overall you could argue the only pick the Oilers got right was the 100% no brainer). Everything after that first pick has been a disaster. And here we are.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I have no trust that Chai can pull off an "all in" trade without causing more irreparable damage to this team. We have clear evidence that he accepts low ball offers for our players and is easily hustled. ( minor deals he seems to do well)
I voted be patient until Chia is replaced with a more shrewd GM and a coach that can adapt to the faster NHL. Success from last year made our GM and Coach arrogant and stubborn in thinking that they know better then everyone else in the league even when the losses mounted. The fans have lived through all the crap and Chia and Tmac only been here for 3 years. We've seen it all. The fans know the pulse of the team and we can see holes, we can see what is not working.
It is very interesting that changes that even the fans were screaming for, like removing Letetsu, demoting Lucic to third line, putting RNH with Mcdavid have started to result in more winning. But it took until we were out of the playoffs before they were implemented. That is poor coaching.
I have never been more uncertain for an "all in" trade ever in the last decade.
After watching this entire year,
the coaching and management inspires little that they can get the job done.

Stoff57

Mar 29, 2018
The team lost the opportunity to go all in. With the Lucic, Kassian, Russell contracts, plus overpayment for Draisaitl, the team doesn't have the cap room or flexibility to go all in.

This year was the year for the team to go all in had they signed players to reasonable contracts and used the cap room afforded to them on McDavid's last cheap year.

Now they must be patient, accumulate cheap talent, and stock the pipeline. Only way to build a winner now.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So if the amateur scout gets all the credit for good drafting..why don't the pro scouts get all the blame for trades?
Because the GM sees a lot of NHL players and makes those decisions. GMs spend zero time looking at junior level guys really?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad