Speculation: Go All In or Be Patient?

Go All In or Be Patient

• Total voters

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not sure why we have to go all in. Just need to bring some legit NHLers in to fill some spots. Essentially what we should've done last. Year bring in a few guys for depth on 1-2 year deals.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Not sure why we have to go all in. Just need to bring some legit NHLers in to fill some spots. Essentially what we should've done last. Year bring in a few guys for depth on 1-2 year deals.

Yeah. Unfortunately last year it was probably easier to convince those players with hopes of getting a bit of a bargain based on the promise of McDavid and the fact that the team was three blown game-changing calls away from a conference final berth. Now we look like crap again and any legit NHLers that would consider coming here will only be for full value (which the team can't afford).

We need patience and we need to put all extra resources available into development as it is the only way to create some sustainability particularly until the cap adjusts the McDrai cap hit to a smaller percentage of overall cap.

Going all in right now is like going in with a short stack of chips on a bluff, you might luck out, but odds are that they'll risk buying the hand leaving you hoping for luck on the river.

Last edited:

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Going all in worked so well for Milbury and the NYI in the early 2000's. Until we get a legit #1 dman we can't go all in.

kurtcobang

Feb 18, 2007
I read a post the other day and I apologize I cannot remember the poster but they laid out how many picks we didnt use these last few years
2 2nds for Talbot, 1st and 2nd for Reinhart, 2nd and 3rd for Chia and TMac and I think there was more
That is the reason our prospects are so thin right now. 6 players we never had to begin with. We need to draft and develop our own players and we need those ELC’s in our line up to be competitive. No more big signings or silly extensions. Draft and development Is the only way to build a championship team. Stop trading picks!!

Reactions: Saxonsun

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I'm inclined to go with option one since putting faith in our prospects and player development system has literally never worked for the Oilers in my lifetime.

I agree. Option 2 seems like the smart patient model - but why on earth do the prospects never end up working out little along being home runs. Will Puju even pan out? They never pan out just like Mike Comrie didn't.

With this GM though, I don't know the answer. A trade likely won't work either. 97 will be gone before they figure it out.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I read a post the other day and I apologize I cannot remember the poster but they laid out how many picks we didnt use these last few years
2 2nds for Talbot, 1st and 2nd for Reinhart, 2nd and 3rd for Chia and TMac and I think there was more
That is the reason our prospects are so thin right now. 6 players we never had to begin with. We need to draft and develop our own players and we need those ELC’s in our line up to be competitive. No more big signings or silly extensions. Draft and development Is the only way to build a championship team. Stop trading picks!!
I agree, but there's always exceptions. I say that in a Karlsson trade, that pick is fair game, but for any other kind of player we need to make it a player-for-player trade

We need to keep picks

kurtcobang

Feb 18, 2007
I agree, but there's always exceptions. I say that in a Karlsson trade, that pick is fair game, but for any other kind of player we need to make it a player-for-player trade

We need to keep picks
Agreed Karlsson would be a get him and deal with the fallout later. But guys like Risto or Faulk are expensive to get and demand heavy contracts which we aren’t in a position imo to pay. But Karlsson and Doughty you figure out the cap and prospects later I agree 100%
Outside of a established #1 D I say draft and develope for once

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Go all in because you know management and coaching staff are going to screw up the development of our picks?

That's the only way I could justify going all in.

Going all in sucks.

Just need our team to pull it's head out of his ass so that it actually pays off being patient for once!

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I'd prefer patience right now. I don't think there is a quick fix for this team at the moment. Need to build up assets now and let the cap limit grow. And I simply don't trust this management team to do the right thing if they're trying a quick fix.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I've been saying this since we won the McDavid lotto. The 2015 draft was SO important and what we did with picks 16+33 was unacceptable.

Reactions: dawunderboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->