Post-Game Talk: [GM8] Canucks lose to Rangers in OT | 3-4 (Miller, Myers, Soucy) | What Is This Feeling?

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
The Canucks had the run of play in the first as well. There were really only a couple of minutes, outside of the long penalty stretches, that the Rangers were playing as good as the Canucks. they had such sustained pressure all night and it was amazing to watch.
I thought the Rangers were the better team in the first but the Canucks played better the rest of the game and OT. Definitely deserved a better fate but thats the way she goes sometimes.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Hey at least it's nice that we can complain about the refs because the team played really well and deserved the win versus legitimately needing the refs help to have any sort of success over the last several seasons.

Can't say I cared too much about the reffing when the team clearly didn't deserve to win many games and were completely flaccid 5 on 5 and giving up insane amounts of high danger chances night in and night out.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Yeah so, I missed the last two games unfortunately but I see that the Canucks played excellent in both. It warms my heart to see everyone complaining about the officiating instead of mgmt or coaching. It honestly feels like we're back or very close to it.

Another top 4 d, maybe some more speedy grit in the bottom 6 and we can confidently go back to being the most annoying fan base on the main board.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Yeah so, I missed the last two games unfortunately but I see that the Canucks played excellent in both. It warms my heart to see everyone complaining about the officiating instead of mgmt or coaching. It honestly feels like we're back or very close to it.

Another top 4 d, maybe some more speedy grit in the bottom 6 and we can confidently go back to being the most annoying fan base on the main board.
Well the leafs are making the playoffs regularly now so we can’t possibly compete in that category

Feb 19, 2018
Petey went to a 105 flex point in his stick this year and you can see he’s fighting it a bit and not getting his shots off like normal due to the stick not helping him snap the puck. He should go with a 92 flex point to keep a stiffer stick for draws and maximize his technique he’s mastered.

When he utilizes the “sling shot” type technique he absolutely rips pucks with the best of them, don’t need to fix something that isn’t broken.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I was impressed at the level of the Canucks play on the second night of a back-to-back (no fatigue)..With our back up against their world class goalie.

Its just a pity the game was decided on two 5 on 3's..and a blown call at the end.

Reactions: Canuckle1970

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
A solid 60-minute effort against a very good hockey team......the Rangers had only allowed one goal in a two-game Alberta sweep.

But the Canucks potted three, and had some glorious chances to score two or three more. But sometimes you just have to tip your hat to the goalie. Shesterkin is considered one of the best in the business, and you can see why.

But a complete game like last night will result in an automatic 'win', particularly against a lesser opponent.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Other than the controversy that ended the o/t, I just loved the game last night. I was just hoping we'd keep playing well, even if we lost, and the team's play 5 on 5 was even better than I hoped for.

Sure, it would have been great to score on those pp chances, but you have to tip your hat to the Rangers pk, they just didn't give us any lanes. And Shesterkin was incredible, especially in o/t.

Reactions: TruKnyte

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
This is another long-time first, a game that we honestly deserved to win, but lost and managed to get a point as well. It's very f***ing early but we are playing such a clean game, and bottom guys actually have a purpose instead of "don't get scored on".

This is a much needed breath of fresh air. I actually find the team likeable for the first time in a long time.

Other than the controversy that ended the o/t, I just loved the game last night.

Went to see Rocky Horror at the Rio last night, was at the bar waiting and was delirious they didn't call a trip, but on replay it seemed like a good non-call, it's just shit luck. Imagine that. We lost IMO because of shit luck and not effort or talent.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I am almost alone in thinking the officiating in that game was spot on if a bit strict. The outrage over the non-call amuses me; the Canucks have always had a rep for diving thanks to the likes of Burrows, Kesler, Luongo etc. and Petey, though not exactly a chronic diver, often goes down easy, often enough, IMHO to have developed a rep amongst NHL refs. I'm betting neither ref was looking directly at the play and, seeing it was Petey, decided against what would have been a huge power play at the time. No ref wants to call a game winning PP on what subsequently turns out to be a dive. Call it Auger's revenge...

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I am almost alone in thinking the officiating in that game was spot on if a bit strict. The outrage over the non-call amuses me; the Canucks have always had a rep for diving thanks to the likes of Burrows, Kesler, Luongo etc. and Petey, though not exactly a chronic diver, often goes down easy, often enough, IMHO to have developed a rep amongst NHL refs. I'm betting neither ref was looking directly at the play and, seeing it was Petey, decided against what would have been a huge power play at the time. No ref wants to call a game winning PP on what subsequently turns out to be a dive. Call it Auger's revenge...
It was gutless to let that trip go, and the non-call ended up deciding the game anyways.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Every team in the league has had players that embellish, and I'm pretty certain that referees dont think/care about players that were in the Canuck organization a decade ago.

I disagree that EP is a diver..He does fall down a lot, although there's a clear distinction between losing your balance and being tripped.

It was a clear infraction that the refs decided not to make because of game management.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
The non call in OT should have been a penalty, but I also get why the refs would let that one go. Hard to predict the puck would go the other way and end up in the net.

But the rest of the game was fine imo. The too many men call was pretty blatant. New guy was already in the play while EP wasn't even skating towards the bench. Not sure if the fault lies with Joshua or EP, but Joshua being on the outside looking in at practice today might be related.

The refs weren't the reason we lost, goaltending was. Specifically, the goalie at the other end showed why he's in the conversation for best net minder on the planet.

Reactions: Zippgunn and m9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad