Post-Game Talk: [GM8] Canucks lose to Rangers in OT | 3-4 (Miller, Myers, Soucy) | What Is This Feeling?

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Impressive performance particularly as a 2nd game of back to back, disappointing result.

Refs were atrocious, but that happens.Don't like using this as a moral victory, it's a learning opportunity.

Ultimately outplaying the other team or dominating possession doesn't count on the scoreboard. If you're outplaying the other team ultimately need to convert.

Was a good game for 2.5 periods, they'll make adjustments particularly on PP.

If the Canucks keep playing this way buying in, dialled up, they'll have a successful year.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I thought he looked off on the road trip (and horrible in that Philly game) but he was terrific tonight outside of some of what he did on the PP.

By far the most dangerous forward for either team, maybe over-handled the puck a bit looking for the perfect play but he was the only guy on either team really breaking down the defense for high-danger chances, he was really good defensively, and he was throwing his weight around. I thought that was his best overall game of the year tonight.
Most of us will agree that Pettersson is not yet operating at his 100% potential. It feels like every game we see 1-3 plays where we wish he did something slightly different and he may have had a different outcome on the play.

But, here are four reasons why it doesn’t worry me yet:

1. despite being “off” like many of us are saying—he’s still among the leading points scorers in the league.
  2. Pettersson is such a cerebral player—you get the impression that every time a play doesn’t work out like he intended, that he is logging that data about that effort or opponent in his brain for next time.
  3. Willing to bet that we never see peak-Petey until we are in the playoffs. Us always wanting a little more from him is not a bad thing.
  4. The player I always compare him to — not stylistically, but in terms of demonstrating his full potential — is Nathan MacKinnon. Before Colorado and MacKinnon brought it all together in that epic playoff run, there was plenty of moaning about whether he was truly the elite player that he turned out to be. Now it’s not even a question.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
We played really well.
gave them nothing 5 on 5 ...AND we were on a back to back.

We lost this game as we were a bit unlucky with the 4 minute penalty and a too many man call both at the end. If the "many-words" theory is true, we probably wont his game 7or 8 times out of 10 in alternative realities.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Good effort.

Thank goodness for that Myer's shorty otherwise it would have been worse.

Not really sure about the "non" call. Ya Petey went for a face plant but why was his stride so wide? Almost like he was doing a pass to Hronek and then do a "pick".
Really hard to figure out as Kreider didn't really extend his leg, he kind of held his line, more like EP tried to cut in and hit him.

They are doing good so far though.

Reactions: Indiana and The S5

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I have become a big fan of Tocchet. He has an amazing ability to be intense while being completely level. His comments on the refs were spot on, classy while still saying they make mistakes. He praised his players saying he was proud of them.
He’s just a leader you want to follow.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I thought last night was Pettersson’s best game of the season so far.

He was finishing checks, breaking up plays, and was genuinely impressed with his physicality around the net and even drawing a penalty on Trouba.

Right now, his main issue is scoring. He’s second guessing himself a lot and trying to be too cute. A big flaw of his is that he doesn’t really know how or when to just get a quick shot off. He seems to wind the puck trying to pick a corner and although he’s got one deadly ass wrister, often times good defenseman are able to get into his shooting lane that half a second it takes for him to unwind his shot. He would have more goals if he just hammered pucks towards the net or if he utilized some sort of snap shot like Miller’s.

Other than that, I thought he looked amazing. Bring home that Selke.

Joeffice

Mar 11, 2023
Regina
This was an odd game with multiple winners. Not the usual two dimensional win-lose scenario.

Canucks: Better team by far. Got a point and anybody watching with integrity/intelligence know this was their game.

Rangers: Collect two points and are reaffirmed as one of the NHL's favoured sons.

Referees: Collect kickback for officiating the game with a Bettman approved outcome in mind.

Reactions: Indiana and DFAC

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
This was an odd game with multiple winners. Not the usual two dimensional win-lose scenario.

Canucks: Better team by far. Got a point and anybody watching with integrity/intelligence know this was their game.

Rangers: Collect two points and are reaffirmed as one of the NHL's favoured sons.

Referees: Collect kickback for officiating the game with a Bettman approved outcome in mind.

myers: became a teen wolf

Reactions: Indiana

Binder

Nov 7, 2011
during the sedin years i felt like they were never out of a game even when down a goal or 2 in the 3rd

last night after the rangers went up 3-2 was the 1st time in over 10 years where i said to myself they can tie it up, and they will, and they did

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
After many years I put $$ down this year for season tickets, hopeful but not confident that this was going to be a year where this core emerges as a competitive team. So far it's looking like a good bet.
If there ever was any doubt, I think we're getting a great lesson that it takes more than just skill to be competitive.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
it was a solid game. losing a point to a couple of brain fart penalties leading to 5 on 3s and a non-call is not that big a deal when your concern is just to establish yourself as a credible playoff team. the game was a positive in proving to themselves that they are that good if they can sustain this level of play.

i think the too many men call and the non-call in ot are related to refs being displeased with pettersson. those were two borderline calls where i think the fact it was pettersson swayed the refs against us. it's not good because in punishing pettersson for "making them look bad" they ended up looking way worse and they will see that as pettersson's fault since, by prison-guard logic, he deserved the non-call. i think tochett was very smart to walk the line and not to go after them too hard.

i should note that i think it was mostly joshua's fault on the very early change. but i think the fact it was pettersson trapped out there as a straggler that led to a whistle for something completely out of the play. the ref wanted to make ep look bad because he thinks ep does that to refs.

biggest takeaway of the game is it is really is time for ron maclean to go. his comments on the blown ot call were nonsense and he stepped all over there being a realistic discussion. in general he is holding the panel back to a long gone standard. you can see the tension on the panel between bieksa and both maclean and hrudey who do not think it is professional to emphasize or criticize ref mistakes or bad plays. hrudey was also pissed at bieksa about the bad goal from the earlier game where bieksa while calling the highlight was drawing out something critical hrudey had said off camera that he clearly did not want to say on camera.

anyway, if maclean goes i think hrudey is less of a problem but both of them are just a pain in the ass. maclean was only ever bearable as a comic "establishment" foil to cherry and it is not entertaining when he gets to take himself seriously in that role. the way he is presiding over panels right now is like having your crazy opinionated old uncle stifle the conversation at christmas dinner.

ProviesGhost

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver
The only thing slightly off was his timing. He was generating chances, forcing turnovers, and maintaining offensive zone time.
This is what I see too. On the PP he needs to consistently shoot, if he doesn’t it closes down other options. He’s shooting into feet a lot as well, he does look closer to Peak Petey though.

Reactions: Indiana

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
also, that game was probably our best of the season. it's been so many years since i measured the canucks as a playoff team that it was an unfamiliar feeling to pull out the old standards.

we did not look overmatched against a very good team that was having a good game and we were not getting lucky bounces or playing out of our minds. the lesson of the game is that on home ice at least, this team can play head to head with at least some good teams without it looking unsustainable.

and kudos to myers for pulling himself together. really happy for the guy to get a little breathing room and traction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad