Post-Game Talk: [GM78] Canucks defeat Blackhawks | 3-0 | Kuzmenko, Kravtsov, & Miller

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Honestly I was ready to hate him too, based upon preconceived notions or whatever, but listening to him in post game interviews and the like... it's hard not to really like him, his message, and want the team to have success under him.
i mean some of the can't win with small guys quotes were worrying given hughes and our draft position at the time and bedard

but i think it's clear he isn't size-ist or whatever - he just hates soft players who make soft plays

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Awful game against a terrible team (how on earth did Chicago just beat Calgary?) but nice to have that horrible shutout-less streak over and not be a storyline heading into next season.

- Hirose was impressive. The downside is that he had 2 shifts where he was trapped in a contained defensive situation and that's where you can see the issues and where he is weak and has a lot of trouble winning puck battles. But everything else was very good - composed with the puck, transitions it well, in position defensively, got several shots through from the point. Looks like a player who thinks the game well and isn't wowed by the pace at this level, which is something that Rathbone as an example has never really seemed to come to grips with. Played 20:30 in a shutout win in his 3rd NHL game, including 2+ minutes on both the PK and PP, and that's damned impressive.

- McWard was decent. Showed a surprising turn of confidence with the puck on his stick, only made one real significant mistake when he blindly flung it around the boards for a turnover and scoring chance. Skating doesn't look amazing and is pretty clearly a less polished player than Hirose and a guy who will be in Abbotsford next year.

- when Kravtsov competes, he can be effective. Played with some fire after being scratched and was rewarded. And it's nice that we saw that tonight, but it needed to happen more often in the previous 15 games.

- Bear had a great game against Dallas about 5 or 6 games back and has been poor since. Not finishing the year on a high note.

- Pettersson looks like he's kind of put it on cruise control to ride out the season.

- Boeser keeps producing points while playing poorly.

- really happy for Demko to get the SO. It's been a shit year for him and good that it's ending on a healthy high note. Made a couple very good saves.

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
Showing some credit to this Tweet. Made me chuckle a bit.

He looked alright as others have mentioned. Slightly less polished than Hirose, but Hirose will be 24 in a few days where McWard only turns 22 in June, so one would think that McWard may be the better defender by this time next year with some time in Abby.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Its small sample size but the last time I remember a young dman this calm on the canucks was Tanev.

Hirose has a different skill set but when a young dman plays like this in his first few games, chances are he's going to be an NHLer. He looks smarter than most players on the ice.

I would say he has top 4 upside.

Most impressed with his reads, positioning, ability to put pucks in spots to get out of trouble, and his stick.

He's looking good playing with Myers.

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
Game was a hit! My boys had a great time. And they met Quinn Hughes and got his autograph after the game - they are absolutely buzzing. They also met Filip Hronek and got an autograph and a picture - but they’re really, really stoked about Hughes.
Was Hronek in a sling or anything

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
When the Canucks brain-trust goes away to assess what needs to be done before next season, they really need focus on how the season is winding down, rather than the brief spurt after Tocchet took over.

As other posters have pointed out, this current Canuck game-day roster is just plain bad. Small, soft, getting killed along the walls; and generating next to nothing in speed through the neutral zone.

Neither team looked like it could complete a six-foot pass most of the night. But whereas the Hawks knew they were going to be terrible and were planning for it; the Canucks arrived at virtually the same place by completely overestimating their roster.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
One of the worst hockey games I've watched in recent memory.

Holy f***in shit are both of these teams bad.

Chicago is next level bad but they are rebuilding, we are just unintentionally horrific.
Unintentionally? We had two college free agents playing, the veteran of whom was playing his 3rd NHL game.

Reactions: Indiana

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
- Hirose was impressive. The downside is that he had 2 shifts where he was trapped in a contained defensive situation and that's where you can see the issues and where he is weak and has a lot of trouble winning puck battles. But everything else was very good - composed with the puck, transitions it well, in position defensively, got several shots through from the point. Looks like a player who thinks the game well and isn't wowed by the pace at this level, which is something that Rathbone as an example has never really seemed to come to grips with. Played 20:30 in a shutout win in his 3rd NHL game, including 2+ minutes on both the PK and PP, and that's damned impressive.

Its small sample size but the last time I remember a young dman this calm on the canucks was Tanev.

Hirose has a different skill set but when a young dman plays like this in his first few games, chances are he's going to be an NHLer. He looks smarter than most players on the ice.

I would say he has top 4 upside.

Most impressed with his reads, positioning, ability to put pucks in spots to get out of trouble, and his stick.

He's looking good playing with Myers.

If we just found LH Tanev, that is a huge get. What I found impressive last night was his calm disruptions in the neutral zone where he foiled CHI zone entries multiple times with a well timed stick or angling the puck carrier into tough positions. That was exactly the sort of thing that Tanev used to do.

It's too early to say, but with a good offseason, could Hirose reprise the role of Olli Maata alongside Hronek?

That could have knock-on effects throughout the blueline and fill a huge need even if we do end up signing Gavrikov.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Call me a heretic, but if there was a reality where Captain Serious would sign a 1 year deal with the Canucks this offseason to be our 3C, I would really enjoy that. Throw a bunch of money at him to be in a mentorship role.

No way it would have Messier-like ramifications.

Terrible idea with the only upside being it would piss off Chicago fans.

But still.. no.

andyJH

Dec 28, 2005
I'm going to miss him.
three fries and one ketchup.jpg

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
View attachment 683388

The look of excitement after getting meeting Hughes and getting his autograph. :laugh:

For the rest of the night, they would both randomly say “Dad, guess what?”

“What?”

“I GOT QUINN HUGHES’ AUTOGRAPH!”
It's the primary reason I'm a canuck fan. During the '82 playoffs when I was 7 we stayed at the same hotel in Calgary during the Flames-Canucks series. I got the autograph of every player and coach. Had pictures taken with Tiger and Kevin McCarthy (with broken leg) and chatted to King Richard at breakfast. Team was more than accommodating to a bunch of brats and it sticks with you.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
It's the primary reason I'm a canuck fan. During the '82 playoffs when I was 7 we stayed at the same hotel in Calgary during the Flames-Canucks series. I got the autograph of every player and coach. Had pictures taken with Tiger and Kevin McCarthy (with broken leg) and chatted to King Richard at breakfast. Team was more than accommodating to a bunch of brats and it sticks with you.

Yeah, I was telling my oldest that you always remember the guys who are kind and stop to give you their time. Both the kids were absolutely star struck, it was great.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

this replaces the mantra of my childhood, i believe anita hill

mine were gino (RIP) and shawn antoski

just super nice guys i was lucky to meet when i was eleven

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I got to meet Pat Quinn when I was 8 and he was the hugest human being I had ever seen* but was super kind and took a few minutes to talk to me and ask me questions and it left a massive impression.

*Like, I swear, the way I picture it the suit jacket he was wearing could have covered an entire car.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad