GDT: [GM73] Canucks vs Stars | Thur. Mar 28th, 7:00pm | SNP | Big Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Maybe I'm in the minority but IMO complaints about any team's playstyle is asinine. Do what you need to win games, simple as that.

If the Canucks played a 0-0-5 I wouldn't give a f*** if it meant it was our best chance at the Cup.
zads is calling kopi and danault boring... whether that has any effect remains to be seen.

My favourite dudes.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
If I recall correctly, there was some friction between both camps. Ehrhoff's side thought he was the straw that stirred the drink whereas Gillis saw him as a beneficiary of the system. The difference in getting a deal done was small (400-500k/year) but Gillis declined to sign him out of principal.

In hindsight, it was a good move as Ehrhoff showed his limitations in Buffalo (which was the start of his decline) and Edler hit career numbers in 2011-12 assuming his role. The biggest error with the whole thing was keeping Ballard and not making any legitimate attempts to improve the offense.

Unfortunately we don't have that luxury in 2024-2025. There is no young defenseman readying to make a jump into a top pairing role here. Overall, what you see league wide is a scarcity of top 4 defensemen, especially via UFA. It's why you may see guys like Zadorov and Myers command huge dollars via UFA.

If you want to ensure cap flexibility, don't mind taking a step back and think Pettersson (D) and Willander can step into a top 4 role in 2-3 years....then you forego any stupid deal. If you want to make the playoffs again next year, then you sign him at whatever cost.

This is exactly it. Defence, particularly the right side are notoriously hard to find. There are a handful of top line guys and then a mix of medium level players with numerous deficiencies. Unless there is some other surefire method of obtaining another Hronek for cheaper I don't see many other viable options, besides like you said accepting a large probability that the team steps back for a couple years. Absolutely should have kept Ehrhoff imo. He was a great fit.

This is where I'm at. It's damn hard to find good right-shot high-performing defencemen. Canucks paid a hefty price but got exactly what they wanted. Ultimately, I don't think this gets sorted out before free agency starts and it comes in around 8x8.

Yessir. How the heck would we replace him? It's not like it's a fourth line winger position or something. That's like trying to win without a good #1 center. I mean Boston is doing it but it's not the most optimum strategy. I don't think we have much choice unless JR and PA have some absolute magic up their sleeves but it doesn't make much sense to jump through hoops to acquire what we already have.

Hemming on hawing on the cap hit over high producing players is how you end up paying more for worse replacements.

Without a doubt. You need high end quality in all positions.

Don't get me wrong as a fan I enjoy Tocchet's honesty and insight but I hope during the playoffs he learns to keep his mouth shut about team strategy and future goalie starts.

Also these playoff clinching scenarios are a bit silly when the team has 10 games left to play.

Pretty silly to see that stuff tweeted and posted about. It's like proclaiming the sun should come up tomorrow. Why bother lol?

Reactions: Indiana

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Wow not only is Joshua back, but he is jumping right onto the top line. No easing back into things for him.

Obviously I hope he works out in that spot, but its nice to know we have the option to reunite the Joshua-Blueger-Garland line whenever we need a boost or shake things up. That line was so good for so long, wouldn't mind seeing them together again.
This. That line was so good it makes you wonder why Tocchet broke it up.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
This. That line was so good it makes you wonder why Tocchet broke it up.
A coaching thing? Create artificial problems so the team gets used to adversity? With Miller and Boeser? Well that answers that, Boeser isn't fast enough to be the #1 forechecker or back checker. Watch BB, between the dots guy that maybe touches the puck a total of 30 seconds a night and will miss two or three gifted shots. They either go in or not, with a lot more not the last 30 games. Now on 25 goal a season scoring pace. Almost as good a Hoglander

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Stars have 3 legit scoring lines and 2 D pairings that can handle tough minutes so it’ll be interesting to see how Tocchet handles matchups.

Reactions: gsharpe

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Terrifying how..We've taken 3 out of a possible 4 points from them this season..?
Wouldn’t call them terrifying but they’re a deep team that doesn’t have any real weaknesses, the Canucks have played them pretty well compared to the other top teams in the West though.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Stars are a pretty terrifying team, hope the boys are up to the task.

Yeah, man. There’s a handful of teams in the West who in any other year I would say are runaway favourites - but because they are all in the West this year, a loaded team is going home early. The Stars are, top to bottom, loaded.

The West is going to be a blood bath.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad