GDT: [GM68] Canucks vs Capitals | Sat. Mar 16th, 7:00pm | SNP | Jockeying for Position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
That’s been my one of my biggest gripes with this team. Lack of adaptability.

It's starting to worry me a little more now because we just don't adapt at all. I'm all for sticking to something for a bit. Maybe it's an off couple nights? At some point, you have to recognize it just isn't working. We haven't really done that.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
He has the playoffs to redeem himself completely
Of course opinions will change if he suddenly rips it up in the playoffs but you have to believe that management would do it over again if they could. It isn't a good look.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i think what’s extra frustrating about watching this team is everyone other than miller and garland is extremely soft on the puck. petey, boeser, hughes (although because of his skating it almost never matters), lindholm, even höglander as hard as he tries, they all are very easy to stickcheck. one swipe and possession is gone.

as we have seen for a while now, what teams have figured out is if you clog the middle of the ice you can limit their chances because the minute they try to cut into the middle you can just stickcheck whoever’s carrying the puck.

there’s still enough skill to win more than you lose in the regular season, but tocchey and co better figure something out now that they’ve been figured out.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Not getting Guentzel, Toffoli, or even Zucker really hurt this team our forward lines have been lackluster

Toffoli is the one that really bothers me. I don't get Allvin being stingy on prospects like Bains or Sasson. Even if New Jersey did only want picks. We really couldn't have found a broker to double retain on Toffoli? He's exactly the player missing in our top six: a finisher.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Yeah its more of a fail by our scouts
First real miss
Might not be so much of a scouting fail and more that management just figured the core players would more or less maintain their elite level and Lindholm would sort of fit right in. They likely knew full well he's a complimentary player. What they didn't count on was their core slipping in a big way in the 2nd half of the season.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Toffoli is the one that really bothers me. I don't get Allvin being stingy on prospects like Bains or Sasson. Even if New Jersey did only want picks. We really couldn't have found a broker to double retain on Toffoli? He's exactly the player missing in our top six: a finisher.

And he has history with both Lindholm and Pettersson.

Management really had a disappointing deadline. Starting with the acquisition of Lindholm, which also prevented them from being able to upgrade other areas.

SiZ

Jun 24, 2020
Petey's always been really streaky, with long stretches where he looks disinterested. If he's one of those players that flips the switch in the playoffs then he's worth his contract. It will be really interesting to see his compete when the games matter.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Petey's always been really streaky, with long stretches where he looks disinterested. If he's one of those players that flips the switch in the playoffs then he's worth his contract. It will be really interesting to see his compete when the games matter.

He was f***ing amazing against Vegas in the bubble.

But that level of play hasn't been seen since.

Reactions: SiZ

dez

Mar 3, 2012
With Tocchets system, they probably didn't want another slower skater.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC

You simply cannot have that in a $11.6 million dollar player. They need to be gamebreakers, night in and night out, making a difference.

Reactions: Jay26 and Regal

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Hoping whoever is supposed to cover them moves out of position so the free guy gets his perfect shot. That's what we always try to do and teams have started figuring it out.

Team needs to start executing faster if they want to create any room. Their in-zone passing has been lazy and teams aren’t just not biting on moving out of position, but actively pressuring the puck and the team isn’t responding. It’s the same reason the PP has gone bad. I don’t know if they got too confident after the first half but this urgency isn’t going to cut it. Need to get their heads out of their asses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad