GDT: [GM67] Canucks vs Avalanche | Wed. Mar 13th, 7:30pm | SNP | M2B Has Moderated This GDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Problem with Desmith is that he plays a very chaotic style. He wasn't the reason for the loss but I notice the team plays better with a lead with Demko. I think Its a psychological thing when you see your goalie scrambling around and out of position. Demko is very calm and collected which is reassuring to the players in front of him.

That's why I call DeSmith - DeAss sometimes.
Guy's too reckless and he seems like he's taking a shit while covering his net.

He's just another Spencer Martin minus the stank.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
felt pretty even through two periods but yeah, team collapsed in the third. i know things weren’t going our way but you need someone to give you a spark in the third. the middle six was just awful today.

officiating was really bad. the non-major, the hughes interference, the mackinnon flop on the hook, and the no call on hughes that would have given us a 5 on 3.

that middlestadt line was really good. duhaime felt like a joshua type presence. avs just bought a very good line if they continue to gel. and somehow got out of that ryjo contract. impressive tdl for them

one of the teams looked bigger/faster today. the middle six especially looked really slow. this is just a bad matchup for us because it’s one of the teams with a better collection of top end talent and now they’ve absolutely bolstered their team and have experience.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
The PP coach should go, the PP has been trending down all year after a hot start and none of the coaching staff seems to have the answer.

We need to preach staying aggressive when we have the lead.

We need to play harder after things don't go our way.

No of this makes us a pretender, but some of these things are becoming trends that some of us rightly worry about.
Pp coach is Tocchet … we need to hire a different PP coach

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Problem with Desmith is that he plays a very chaotic style. He wasn't the reason for the loss but I notice the team plays better with a lead with Demko. I think Its a psychological thing when you see your goalie scrambling around and out of position. Demko is very calm and collected which is reassuring to the players in front of him.
They definitely play like they don't trust DeSmith. Going out of your way to try and block a shot and play chaotic in front of the net isn't always the best course of action.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Is Tocchet not the powerplay coach lol. Boeser on Spittin Chickets said Tocc runs first unit, Sedins second.

I think Tocc needs to hand the powerplay over.

Also needs to realize that depth defenders should never match up against other teams top lines when you have last change. Never. This is some Willie Desjardins shit. I read Juulsen was out in OT on the winning goal? LOL.

Reactions: Jay26

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
LoL nobody is saying fire the coach, but its also annoying he is beyond criticism.

They have lost 3 straight to the avs, avs played a back 2 back, we were rested, controlling the game, had a 3 goal lead.

What did you expect? Everyone just to brush another blown lead under the rug when you are suppose to be the top team in the west?

Man are expectations low with some of you.
I'm literally looking at multiple posts saying to fire the PP coach and that Tochett won't last long. It's one game. His system has taken this team from the basement to 2nd in the NHL.

And relax on the low expectations nonsense. This team has been a wagon all year. Every team has blown leads and stumbled in the third, including the supposed contender who just beat us tonight. Good teams sweep this stuff under the rug and move on. Fans lose their cool and cry.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Makar was absolutely dogshit tonight. He’s been dogshit most of the season but what you saw today is exactly how he gets his points. Mackinnon.
The Norris is a points trophy and Makar is likely going to win as a result of his higher PPG than Hughes.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That goal we conceded in the last second of the 2nd period is what sunk the 3rd

The game was over before that..that completely changed the entire complexion of the whole game

Hugely disagree.

That was just a bad break, team got disorganized after a weird bounce off the glass.

Turning point was the absolute BS 5-on-3 that handed Colorado a goal and all the momentum.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Say what you want about the system, but it works more times than it doesn't. And Tocchet isn't going to fundamentally adjust something that works just because it's the Avs.

As I said, if Pettersson even shows a little of what he's actually capable of offensively in this game, the Canucks win. End of story. The Avs won because they neutralized Pettersson completely. Oh, and Mackinnon's embellishment. That helped.

To be fair, I think there's a difference between changing the whole system and making adjusts that don't involve us going into a shell and desperately trying to defend a 3-1 lead. Shots were 20-3. There's inexcusably pathetic after we dominated the Avs for nearly 40 minutes.

They basically showed up for 1/3 of the game and kicked our ass.

Pettersson definitely needs to be better. He was completely invisible. Hughes started off well but floundered a little as the game wore on. But Tocchet needs to take this on the chin too. If we turtle in the playoffs, we're not making it out of a series against Colorado or Vegas.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I mean, we literally have the best record when leading after 2 periods in the NHL. It works fantastic. We just didn’t execute as well as we normally do.

Key moment was the refs getting absolutely suckered by Mackinnon’s play-acting to create an extended 5-on-3.
I hate the protecting lead thing especially when your doing it with so much time left. It just gives the other team more chances to attack and Avs too talented to not score eventually. The call to give the 5-3 PP was crap indeed I agree.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
The PP coach should go, the PP has been trending down all year after a hot start and none of the coaching staff seems to have the answer.

We need to preach staying aggressive when we have the lead.

We need to play harder after things don't go our way.

No of this makes us a pretender, but some of these things are becoming trends that some of us rightly worry about.

So far it doesn’t seem like the team is learning from their mistakes.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Canucks just lost all semblance of forecheck in the third. Its almost like Avalanche told the Canucks to yield and the canucks just did.

We were in such a good position, Avalanche have killer instinct, Canucks don't.

If you are a soft team then you better have a good PP.

Wouldn't Duhaime look good on our 4th line providing some pushback?

Wood, Colton, Trenin, Duhaime, all provided Avs with some much needed physical pushback. That 3-3 goal was basically just Avs physically willing that puck into the net.
After we conceded that first goal..the Av’s had something to play for in the 3rd..down two going into the 3rd..that’s the momentum shift.

If the shoe was on the foot,and we were down by 3 and got one at the end of the 3nd..we would have rallied back hard in the 3rd.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm literally looking at multiple posts saying to fire the PP coach and that Tochett won't last long. It's one game. His system has taken this team from the basement to 2nd in the NHL.

And relax on the low expectations nonsense. This team has been a wagon all year. Every team has blown leads and stumbled in the third, including the supposed contender who just beat us tonight. Good teams sweep this stuff under the rug and move on. Fans lose their cool and cry.

This game stands out.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
They definitely play like they don't trust DeSmith. Going out of your way to try and block a shot and play chaotic in front of the net isn't always the best course of action.
I noticed they were leaving their feet to block harmless shots which resulted in the team chasing the puck. Felt like I was in a time machine and watching Travis green hockey.

Most of the blown 3rd period leads this season have been with Desmith in net and I think there's definitely a psychological aspect to it.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
To be fair, I think there's a difference between changing the whole system and making adjusts that don't involve us going into a shell and desperately trying to defend a 3-1 lead. Shots were 20-3. There's inexcusably pathetic after we dominated the Avs for nearly 40 minutes.

They basically showed up for 1/3 of the game and kicked our ass.

Pettersson definitely needs to be better. He was completely invisible. Hughes started off well but floundered a little as the game wore on. But Tocchet needs to take this on the chin too. If we turtle in the playoffs, we're not making it out of a series against Colorado or Vegas.
How do we know that Tocchet didn't adjust and the players just didn't perform as well as they could have? We're making a lot of assumptions about Tocchet's system and not putting enough blame on players who are paid to be star players completely ghosting in a statement game against a good western team.

Even with the last second goal and Mackinnon's embellishment shenanigans, the Canucks win this game if Pettersson steps up and puts the team on his back like the big time centres are capable of.

Reactions: Jay26

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I hate the protecting lead thing especially when your doing it with so much time left. It just gives the other team more chances to attack and Avs too talented to not score eventually. The call to give the 5-3 PP was crap indeed I agree.

Literally every team in the NHL gets caved in terms of shot attempts when leading by 2 or fewer in the 3rd period. We manage it better than anyone.

This notion of ‘playing how you do earlier in the game and continue outchancing them’ is fan fantasy and it just doesn’t play out like that in actual games. For anyone.

Reactions: Petey O
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino