Post-Game Talk: [GM66] Canucks defeat Stars | 5-2 | Di Giuseppe, Kuzmenko, Beauvillier, Brisebois, & Miller

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Anyone who thinks the Canucks aren’t locks for wild card next year needs to give their head a shake !

I missed this whole game, was coaching my son - but f*** do I feel great for Brisebois right now. There’s a guy who paid his dues and it’s easy to cheer for him. Nice goal, too. Well done.
Good stuff.

#6 with with 3 points as well tonight

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
It turns out that :

1) Acquire players with actual potential.
2) Develop them and put them in positions to succeed.

… works better than :

1) Sign only busting prospects that Benning/Weisbrod liked as teenagers.
2) Throw them in the deep end and cross your fingers.

That part I understand but I'd love to know exactly what changes were made to come to the proper conclusions. Who's scouting and for how long? With Benning/Weisbrod there was always a simple connection and a degree of "saw him play 5 years ago and he looked great!". It's just such an immediate turnaround.

Reactions: Indiana

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
That part I understand but I'd love to know exactly what changes were made to come to the proper conclusions. Who's scouting and for how long? With Benning/Weisbrod there was always a simple connection and a degree of "saw him play 5 years ago and he looked great!". It's just such an immediate turnaround.
No Brandon Benning in the organization probably helps.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
I legitimately don't know what to think anymore. This team plays games with us. I feel like I don't want to buy in yet again. They'll probably be shit again for most of next season.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Surprising that JT hasn't had a 40+ goal pace as a Canuck. He easily has the best all around shot on the team, even when including Horvat.

In every scenario, backhand, one timer, snapper, wrister etc. he's at worst a close 2nd.

He's a pass first player, but still generates a lot of shots. Just doesn't break away from the goal scoring pack here like you might think.

Fren

Feb 18, 2023
I was at the game tonight and was amazed at how good he looked, albeit from a place of low expectations. Was getting around pretty well for him and seemed very dialed in from the word go.
If he can get to a trade value where the Canucks will only have to trade a 2nd~ or less to move him, that's a huge win.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Surprising that JT hasn't had a 40+ goal pace as a Canuck. He easily has the best all around shot on the team, even when including Horvat.

In every scenario, backhand, one timer, snapper, wrister etc. he's at worst a close 2nd.

He's a pass first player, but still generates a lot of shots. Just doesn't break away from the goal scoring pack here like you might think.
He’s getting close to a point a game,and heating up..Finishing with 80+ points at the end of the season.wouldn’t be a surprise.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Getting harder to differentiate between those playing well and those who aren't. Playing like a team and that creates a type of evenness in the players. Really hard to say anyone is playing bad or not giving a full efffort.

Better

Demko - only could be faulted on the Benn goal and very little even then. If they had Denko playing like this all season probably looking at playoff matchups.

Miller - his 200 foot game has improved do dramatically over the last month. Think it has to conceded that coaching has made a difference. Thinking that, had he played like this all season 99 points is not out of the question

Burroughs - one good game after another. You have to wonder if what we are seeing is all a mirage and soon the clock will strike 12. Yo ask whether Burroughs can play like this on a sustained basis heading into next year. Jury is absolutely out on this. Fact he played very well at the beginning of the seasons but then fell badly off makes you speculate that he will eventually revert to mediocre and sometimes worse form. If you think he can sustain this into next season, you begin to look at our future defense with a little more optimism.

Garland - to me the juice that is making the 4th line work as well as it has. Give credit to Joshua and Aman as well, but Garland's puck management has been excellent.

Beauvillier - thought he was the best player on that line. Playing a very good two way game

Myers - is keeping it simple and sticking to the things he does best. He is consistently taking players off the puck and managing the area around the front much better than earlier in the year. Making the smart, short pass and not getting himself into problems. Has done this before with new coaches and it has to be seen if keeps it up. Having some of the new defensive coaches around seems to have given him a better understanding of how to exploit the skill he does have, and more confidence.

Boeser - moving the puck sooner and better. Started the game real well but as always he faded as game went on. This screams conditioning. Still he was an important offensive factor in this game. The try is there but he needs the conditioning to make something of it. Remember Coach Lombardi said that fatigue makes cowards of us all. If Boeser can ever get to a position where he plays the whole game like the first 10 minutes, he'll be a help.

Others

Brisboise - obviously great he scored and he showed good speed in getting on the end of that play. Thought he got muscled a bit in this game (around the his net) but he is hanging in there defensively and always seems to maintain good puck- man triangle.

Kravtsov - thought this was the best compete he has shown. Wasn't always successful but he engaged along the boards and skated hard to stay in the mix.

I guess we have to resign ourselves to the our dwindling chances of gaining any of the top 5 in the draft (and who knows how deep we sink) but maybe there is something different about this late season surge as compared to the others. Probably not, but merely the fact that such players as Miller and Demko are showing they still have it, is some consolation.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
All this win streak has done is guarantee we won't be drafting a franchise altering player this year.
Ww We’re never going to get the top odds in the lottery. You don’t think there’s another 12 teams out there who would love to get Bedard? It’s not like we’re the only ones who’d want him.

Reactions: JohnHodgson

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
It’s getting repetitive hearing the same comments about draft positions.

Feel like 80% of this fanbase just regurgitates the same thing in an echo chamber. ChatGPT could probably predict the “analysis” from Canucks fan consistently.

This team was never a bottom 5 team on paper. We literally have a top 10 C and top 10 D - how were we ever going to tank to the bottom 5???

The Canucks were always a middling team, even dating back to last year. Demko sucked to start the year and got hurt for like 3 months. In those 3 months, we had Delia and Martin performing at an ECHL level. Demko’s back and performing at his regular elite self.

If anything, the tankists should be happy that Demko got hurt and Delia/Martin sucks - this enabled us to get a likely top 10 pick instead of 13-16.

This is what we call (positive) regression to the mean. People who thought we were really that bad were just underselling this team and dreaming about Bedard. Team has always been middling and is going to end up with a better than middling team draft position.

I guess the tankists would rather see Petey go out with a season ending injury so we can get a better pick.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
A 5-game win streak at the end of another failed season in a bunch of meaningless games and suddenly we're definitely making the playoffs next year. Who are we leapfrogging? This franchise is still absolute dog shit and we're still in the thick of the worst 10-year run in this team's history. All this win streak has done is guarantee we won't be drafting a franchise altering player this year. Still doom and gloom on this side.
This is literally a copy and paste from 80% of the Canucks fanbase.

Might as well get ChatGPT to start making posts. Zero original thoughts these days…

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Some of the posts on here really show that Boeser is the whipping boy. Where he can do no right.
People literally forgot Boeser was our leading point getter 2 years ago with 49 points in 56 games (72 point pace). He was our best forward that year and way better than Horvat.

Canucks fans turn on their players so easily, it’s actually freakin disgraceful. The amount of hate on Canucks twitter is embarrassing.

This team turne: on JTM after a bad 20 game start to the year when he was being dicked around center and wing with no consistent linemates. Of course he was our best forward the last 3 years and was our 1C who scored 99 points last year but nobody cares.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
People literally forgot Boeser was our leading point getter 2 years ago with 49 points in 56 games (72 point pace). He was our best forward that year and way better than Horvat.

Canucks fans turn on their players so easily, it’s actually freakin disgraceful. The amount of hate on Canucks twitter is embarrassing.

The relevance of 2 years ago barely exists. It offers some kind of hope that he could regain that form, but it also is offering undue opportunity to a player based on what he used to be.

I hope his best days are ahead of him, but the play dies on his stick far too frequently, he's slower and his shot doesn't scare anyone anymore. He gets points because of his line-mates. Obviously he makes a decent play now and again, but he's a shadow of his former self and people have noticed. I don't know what you expect fans to do when they see a guy not providing value relative to his cap hit. Is there any fanbase anywhere in any sport that doesn't criticize a player who has underperformed for as long as Brock has?

I also see people who are really trying to give him the benefit of the doubt and over emphasizing the few glimpses of good play and sometimes praising totally average play. Just today I saw posts praising a fairly pedestrian play where he enters the zone alone and curls back to buy time before putting a pass into the skates of a wide open JT Miller who expertly recovers and snipes one. Miller made chicken salad out of lemons, but somehow Brock made a great play.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
If this level of play/effort/structured van br sustained over a season, are we a wild card team next season?

We have a top 10 centre, dman, and goalie when healthy supported by other top 60 forwards (Miller, Kuzmenko) and top 30/40 dman (Hronek).

Doesn't seem outlandish.

Main needs are a moving out OEL and Myers, adding a legit 3C, two dependable supporting second pairing dmen. Work is cut out but doable.

The one non sustainable factor is the overplaying of our top players and minimal time for our youngsters.

If Tocchet can get the likes of Podkolzin, Kravtsov playing 13-15 min a night by this time next season and producing in the 0.35-0.45ppg range I think we'll be in better shape.

Last edited:

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
If this level of play/effort/structured van br sustained over a season, are we a wild card team next season?

We have a top 10 centre, dman, and goalie when healthy supported by other top 60 forwards (Miller, Kuzmenko) and top 30/40 dman (Hronek).

Doesn't seem outlandish.

Main needs are a moving out OEL and Myers, adding a legit 3C, two dependable supporting second pairing dmen. Work is cut out but doable.

The one non sustainable factor is the overplaying of our top players and minimal time for our youngsters.

If Tocchet can get the likes of Podkolzin, Kravtsov playing 13-15 min a night by this time next season and producing in the 0.35-0.45ppg range I think we'll be in better shape.
How many times have we said that though… lets hope that for once it actually carries over to that start of next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad