Post-Game Talk: [GM6] Canucks defeat Predators | 3-2 (Mikheyev, Di Giuseppe, & Hoglander) | A Mighty Fine Start

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
NHL is trying to their own version of nfl redzone on Tuesday. So they have every team playing with staggered start times to avoid 10 games being stuck in intermission at the same time.

View attachment 756629View attachment 756630
I like the idea but the NFL doesn’t have to deal with a daily schedule. Having so few games around this is lame.

It’s also lame to have this on a random Tuesday.

Oh well. Hope they don’t start overdoing this.

I do wonder why they don’t find a day to make theirs. Like what’s going on the Saturday after American thanksgiving? Could that be a thing?

Ideally I think you make the winter classic the first game and then have a setup like this for the rest of the day. Get a streaming partner and have it online so everyone can watch whatever game they want, free. Actually make this thing an event.

Outside of Canada, teams need to cater to other sports/events. Hockey is like 3rd tier
I feel like they should put more effort into a premium product than trying to do scheduling gimmicks.

Can we get a 4k broadcast?

No?

Can we get better production values?

No?

Can we get weird start times and only watch hockey two days a week because the league has just given up entirely?

Cool.

Reactions: DFAC

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I do wonder why they don’t find a day to make theirs. Like what’s going on the Saturday after American thanksgiving? Could that be a thing?

This is actually what I think they're trying to do. Keep Saturday as a big day, leave Sunday/Monday to NFL, come back with a big Tuesday slate.

Reactions: Nick Lang

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
This is actually what I think they're trying to do. Keep Saturday as a big day, leave Sunday/Monday to NFL, come back with a big Tuesday slate.
So two days a week they just give up.

I hate this f***ing league. As money grubbing as any other but half as competent.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

I hate this f***ing league. As money grubbing as any other but half as competent.

I actually don't think it's a big deal to have light Sunday/Monday schedules through December. For one, if Saturday is going to be your biggest day it makes sense to have lighter schedules the next two days. Even more-so if they are pushing Tuesdays as a heavy day.

I haven't looked at the schedule for the rest of this year so I'm not sure if this is a one week trial run here or what, but I'll give them credit for trying something different.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
A monthly rant but I still can't believe Americans watch so much football.

I can stomach watching 1 game but Christ....Not only do you have many more stoppages and commericals but the games are heavily rigged for the Chiefs. **** Taylor Swift too.

Reactions: Nomobo and Sonny A

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015

This makes perfect sense. Competing against the NFL would be stupid and a wasted effort. There has always been a weak Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday schedule. Off topic but how about those crazy people in New York, Philly, and NJ, who love their 11 AM Sunday games. Canuck fans be losing their minds lol. I guess on second thought they don't want to be competing against the NFL either ... for good reason. Very sensical.

As above there isn't much worth in trying to defeat the NFL viewership in America ... and even here in Canada. I'd watch football myself except for the Canucks game. There are 5 other days in the week to showcase the NHL product. I also give them props for trying something like this. I'd definitely follow a Saturday forecast.

Once again with the Canuck fanbase getting put off all for nothing. I'm not sure what the problem is with being able to watch a tonne of hockey on a Tuesday instead of Chicago Fire or something. But here we are lol.

What's wrong with hockey on Tuesday again?

Last edited:
Reactions: m9

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
This makes perfect sense. Competing against the NFL would be stupid and a wasted effort. There has always been a weak Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday schedule. Off topic but how about those crazy people in New York, Philly, and NJ, who loves their 11 AM Sunday games. Canuck fans be losing their minds lol. I guess on second thought they don't want to be competing against the NFL either ... for good reason. Very sensical.

As above there isn't much worth in trying to defeat the NFL viewership in America ... and even here in Canada. I'd watch football myself except for the Canucks game. There are 5 other days in the week to showcase the NHL product. I also give them props for trying something like this. I'd definitely follow a Saturday forecast.

Once again with the Canuck fanbase getting put off all for nothing. I'm not sure what the problem is with being able to watch a tonne of hockey on a Tuesday instead of Chicago Fire or something. But here we are lol.
Maybe because we’re actually fans of hockey and not just people who watch the Canucks between their dumb f*** football games.

October is when I’m most excited for the regular season and they turn it into this on off shitshow so they can cater to people like you who don’t give a f*** either way and people who won’t watch hockey.

Maybe instead of trying to squeeze in to the 10 minutes a week not dominated by nba and nfl they can concentrate on making their product better.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
I like the idea but the NFL doesn’t have to deal with a daily schedule. Having so few games around this is lame.

Oh well. Hope they don’t start overdoing this.

Ideally I think you make the winter classic the first game and then have a setup like this for the rest of the day. Get a streaming partner and have it online so everyone can watch whatever game they want, free. Actually make this thing an event.

I feel like they should put more effort into a premium product than trying to do scheduling gimmicks.

Can we get a 4k broadcast?

No?

Can we get better production values?

No?

Can we get weird start times and only watch hockey two days a week because the league has just given up entirely?

Cool.

Yikes... Do we get 82 games a year ?

Yes.

These "scheduling gimmicks" are done to try to expose the game better, and make more money, and leads to such things as better production value, etc. You're simultaneously complaining about not getting a thing, and the thing that'll help provide it. lol

Yeah agreed

I was just throwing shade at people who complain about the “Canuck luck” bullshit

Ah. yeah. that is shade well deserved. just absolute nonsense!

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

NFL absorbs everything and masssively dwarfs every other TV program. Definitely can't go H2H with football. Eliminates Monday, Thursday, Sunday for their trial staggered start Big Day.

I do like the staggered start time concept. I watch a lot of games so it'll be easier to see more teams.

It would be nice if more games were on MON/WED/FRI, but the NHL and NBA basically have an informal agreement to not go against each other on those days. Most NBA games are on the MON/WED/FRI rotation.

I can stomach watching 1 game but Christ....Not only do you have many more stoppages and commericals but the games are heavily rigged for the Chiefs. **** Taylor Swift too.
Yeah, football absolutely dwarfs everything. A random NFL game has more viewership than the current MLB conference championships.
This makes perfect sense. Competing against the NFL would be stupid and a wasted effort. There has always been a weak Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday schedule. Off topic but how about those crazy people in New York, Philly, and NJ, who love their 11 AM Sunday games. Canuck fans be losing their minds lol. I guess on second thought they don't want to be competing against the NFL either ... for good reason. Very sensical.

What's wrong with hockey on Tuesday again?
Yep. Just can't go against NFL, not a chance. Way too big.

The bolded is hilarious. Canucks fans' inferiority complex knows no bounds. Perpetually Aggrieved.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Maybe because we’re actually fans of hockey and not just people who watch the Canucks between their dumb f*** football games.

October is when I’m most excited for the regular season and they turn it into this on off shitshow so they can cater to people like you who don’t give a f*** either way and people who won’t watch hockey.

Maybe instead of trying to squeeze in to the 10 minutes a week not dominated by nba and nfl they can concentrate on making their product better.
Relax my guy. Yeesh.

Reactions: Nomobo

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

It's all about $ imo. If ppl didn't bet on games, have fantasy leagues, etc, no one would watch outside of their team.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
So....

We are playing the Nashville Predators tomorrow.

Thoughts? Last game of this road trip before they head on home. Hoping they come out hard but could see them overlooking this game.

Biggest downside is 1 game in a span of 6 days at this point of the season sucks.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
So....

We are playing the Nashville Predators tomorrow.

Thoughts? Last game of this road trip before they head on home. Hoping they come out hard but could see them overlooking this game.

Biggest downside is 1 game in a span of 6 days at this point of the season sucks.
Nashville's been pretty good so far. Not an easy game by any means.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
you want them to grow the game or not ? the league will always try to appeal to new customers. it's hilarious you want them to concentrate on "making a better product" when new fans/customers are the fuel to do this. lmaaooo

i was wondering with the CDC crowd was goin' to get here. lololol
I don’t give a f*** about them growing the game. Why? Because it really just means growing profits. They don’t do shit to grow the game.

This isn’t about new fans. This is about desperately trying to up TV revenues. This is about maybe getting some people who will accept the NHL as a third option, sometimes.

I’m saying that just going with scheduling gimmicks and trying to avoid any competition is a dumb way to do that when the broadcasts still suck. When they are still behind in streaming. When games are still constantly blacked out.

Instead of “here’s 16 games on one day, please please please give a shit”.

I'm a big fan of staggered games. Having every game in intermission, I'm goin' to wager there's a viewship dip and some don't return when the games resume.
I am too, I just don’t like the dead spots in the schedule at the point where I’m eager to find out how every team is doing and want my daily hockey fix.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015

Sounds like you're mad at football popularity lol. I love watching, betting small amounts on games, and playing fantasy football. Great production through and through. Fantastic. Absolutely love my winter Sundays. They have built up an incredible product over many many years, and this is coming from someone who also thought in the past that the game of football is sad with it's 12 minutes of actual game play. When you get into it though it isn't. The athleticism, intensity, intelligence, and toughness is right up there with hockey (sans anaerobic fitness lol). The league is super intricate and exciting. You don't have to like it though. That's definitely 100% your right.

It also sounds like you don't understand the complexities our league is facing. I don't have a link as it's something I read awhile back but there is a reason they don't start the NHL season earlier. Most of the East coast and indeed all of American teams to some extent run in the negative during the October to December months because they are all consumed with more important sports like football, baseball and car racing. In fact many have lobbied to have it start way later. Unfortunately that's a reality of life in North America's sports landscape. I'm not a fan of baseball myself but I'm not throwing a hissy fit about it.

I am very sorry you feel your October's are ruined but I don't really understand what the problem is. Is hockey not being played right now? Are you not able to watch hockey every day of the week with a Center Ice package like myself. What is this shitshow you talk about? You're also way off base on your assessment of me. I love hockey and watch 100's of games a year ... without all of these problems you seem to be having catching games. I've seen 15-20 games already. Maybe you need to consider purchasing Center Ice. :tvhappy:

You can't just decide you're going to dominate NBA or the NFL, otherwise it would be done already. I'm sure they are concentrating on making their product as good as it can be. Sounds like you're the one who doesn't like hockey when you make such statements. I love hockey!

Don't see the problem here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad