Post-Game Talk: [GM54] Canucks lose to Red Wings | 1-6 | Dries

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022

Yeah. Lets treat young high paid professionals like school children. That should go over well.

I want Tocchet to succeed. But I was worried that he might get into this stupidity. I lived in Edmonton when Pat Quinn and Tom Reney were coaching the Oilers. And Quinn would get into this crap. This isnt how you fix a broken hockey team.

Plus we don't have Horvat, Mikeyev or Demko and we know others are playing hurt.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I mean, why insult a group of players who have clearly shown that they can defend at a high level and generally play the calibre of hockey that has made us a perennial playoff team? I mean, haven't they already shown how they can play for nearly a decade now? Oh wait....

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I disagree that it’s short term thinking. But that’s fine. I think the cap space is more valuable early and the two years of major penalties is live able at the time they come given expected cap increases. We talk about the importance of cap flexibility especially early in this and that is the move that gives them that flexibility. In addition the buy out next year has similar dead cap for those same two high years. You simply cut 2 years off the end of what is fairly minimal cap hit at that point given cap increases.

It no longer makes sense to actually play OEL, you can’t get rid of him without losing major assets, and you can’t bury him in the minors with a min wage replacement because of the NMC. It makes more sense to me to get rid of the boat anchor now as the pain is the same at the same times based on this year buyout or next. Or we can simply wish for a LTIR retirement.

I did not say to play him over the life of the contract, it just makes it a lot more tenable if you wait at least one more season to buy him out, probably two. And it won't impact anything one way or the other. The Canucks are not playing meaningful games in the next two years.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Yeah. Lets treat young high paid professionals like school children. That should go over well.

I want Tocchet to succeed. But I was worried that he might get into this stupidity. I lived in Edmonton when Pat Quinn and Tom Reney were coaching the Oilers. And Quinn would get into this crap. This isnt how you fix a broken hockey team.

Plus we don't have Horvat, Mikeyev or Demko and we know others are playing hurt.

If they listen and learn how to defend, winning will go over even better. I have no problem with a coach being tough on his players.

Besides, this is just the defensive equivalent of a bag skate.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
If they listen and learn how to defend, winning will go over even better. I have no problem with a coach being tough on his players.

Besides, this is just the defensive equivalent of a bag skate.

Honestly.

I don't think this will teach any of the vets anything. Who do we have on the team that needs this?

Podkolzin maybe? Everyone else has been a pro for a decade.

This will maybe show very clearly who are the players who don't have a clue where to go with out the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad