Post-Game Talk: [GM43] Canucks defeat Hurricanes | 4-3 (SO) | Bear, Miller, & Boeser (Kuzmenko & Pettersson)

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I can’t believe the NHL actually allows a situation where a team on the road plays an afternoon game in a different city after playing the night before.

There’s a very high chance this is Bruce’s last game.
It would be a nightmare to let Bruce coach another home game. Common sense would think this is likely his last game, but this management group doesn’t fail to surprise. I wouldn’t be surprised if he sticks til the ASG.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
I liked my thread title better but what the hey eh?
Copy and paste;

No GDT thread yet so he we go;

Canes are at the top

Canucks are still at the bottom

Canes started their re tooling when the new owner bought the team and got involved heavily in the day to day operations, they had a sudden resurgence and have been following that owner's demand for a winner improving every year.

Canes have multiple scoring across all their lines and their defence puts in a few as well.

Canes will have slept in bed while the Canucks were traveling.

Canes are Canucks without the UCK part.

Will it matter who they have in goal? The Canucks have shown they can score but that 50 more goals against than the Canes will say it all.
Canes have also become contenders and still accumulating extra picks
Canucks bottom dwellers giving them away

Reactions: theguardianII

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It would be a nightmare to let Bruce coach another home game. Common sense would think this is likely his last game, but this management group fails to surprise. I wouldn’t be surprised if he sticks til the ASG.

If the Tocchet thing is done but he can’t join for another few weeks, they absolutely have to fire Boudreau after this game and just let Yeo be the interim guy for 5 games.

If it would have been kept under wraps you could leave it til the ASG but given the way the story is out you need to pull the plug to avoid even more of a circus.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I can’t believe the NHL actually allows a situation where a team on the road plays an afternoon game in a different city after playing the night before.

There’s a very high chance this is Bruce’s last game.
Tocchet has to give TNT 4 weeks notice. They could name Yeo as interim coach but maybe the plan is to let him go too? Friedman did say "they want to make all their moves at once" which I interpreted as they don't want to do the interim thing and just want to fire Bruce and name a new coach all at once.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It would be a nightmare to let Bruce coach another home game. Common sense would think this is likely his last game, but this management group doesn’t fail to surprise. I wouldn’t be surprised if he sticks til the ASG.
The ire of the fanbase (and media) isnt on the coach IMO

They hire a new coach..team gets the normal coaching bump (screwing themselves out of top 5 pick) and pick 10th OA...Good times.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Tocchet has to give TNT 4 weeks notice. They could name Yeo as interim coach but maybe the plan is to let him go too? Friedman did say "they want to make all their moves at once" which I interpreted as they don't want to do the interim thing and just want to fire Bruce and name a new coach all at once.

I get wanting to make all the moves at once but once the cat is out of the bag you have to make the move now.

Really I don’t know why they aren’t just working out a deal with TNT to buy Tocchet out of his contract/conditions. Owner probably too cheap.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I get wanting to make all the moves at once but once the cat is out of the bag you have to make the move now.

Really I don’t know why they aren’t just working out a deal with TNT to buy Tocchet out of his contract/conditions. Owner probably too cheap.

I doubt they got an option to buy him out, they don't need Aqua money. Worth more to them to not have precedence for guys getting out of deals when things come up.

No idea how an ex-head coach doesn't have an out for him to leave to become an NHL head coach if an opportunity presents itself, though.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

Bruce’s assistants all suck, especially Yeo

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

How is all this public knowledge. It's makes no sense that management is leaking, the handling it's just awful.

It's that old sausage factory joke. Everyone likes sausages but you don't want to see how they are made.

Reactions: wonton15

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

I assume TNT negotiated that clause into his contract to give them ample time to lock in a replacement

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I doubt they got an option to buy him out, they don't need Aqua money. Worth more to them to not have precedence for guys getting out of deals when things come up.

No idea how an ex-head coach doesn't have an out for him to leave to become an NHL head coach if an opportunity presents itself, though.
Part of me is a little surprised they don’t wanna play it up themselves showing how great their analysts are that they can become head coaches straight from the studio

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009

Tocchet himself probably thought no team was dumb enough to give him a contract during his time with TNT but alas.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
How is all this public knowledge. It's makes no sense that management is leaking, the handling it's just awful.

It's that old sausage factory joke. Everyone likes sausages but you don't want to see how they are made.

I assume it’s coming from the Tocchet/TNT end. His coworkers would know he’d given notice and from there it’s pretty easy to connect the dots.

I assume TNT negotiated that clause into his contract to give them ample time to lock in a replacement

There are like 20 ex-NHL players looking for broadcasting jobs for every one that comes available. Shouldn’t be hard.

Reactions: me2 and Vector

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
The ire of the fanbase (and media) isnt on the coach IMO

They hire a new coach..team gets the normal coaching bump (screwing themselves out of top 5 pick) and pick 10th OA...Good times.
You'd think they would realize at some point it isn't coaching that's the main issue.

Bruce hasn't been here for 2 full seasons yet and he's already being labeled as the reason for another failed attempt at making the playoffs.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
You'd think they would realize at some point it isn't coaching that's the main issue.

Bruce hasn't been here for 2 full seasons yet and he's already being labeled as the reason for another failed attempt at making the playoffs.
Which probably explains management's lack of urgency (though it doesn't excuse it necessarily). Even they know this isn't about the coaching.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Sounds like Burroughs in for Stillman & Dries in for Lazar as per PJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad