Post-Game Talk: [GM43] Canucks defeat Hurricanes | 4-3 (SO) | Bear, Miller, & Boeser (Kuzmenko & Pettersson)

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Death taxes and Tyler Myers and OEL getting caved in every game.
without looking at the shot shares i didnt really feel like they got worked kept most to the outside i thought and they didnt stand a chance on the Martinook goal

Horvat had a tough game defensively i thought looked gassed in his own zone. Back to backs can do that to guys. Man Garland was getting worked Carolina plays with so much pressure on the puck and in support and he was getting swatted around. Neither had their best games

Pretty solid team effort after that brutal coverage to start the game. Imagine this team playing with that kind of pressure on teams for 60minutes. Carolina sure brings it

Burroughs 1st period looked awful but he settled in after. Tough circumstances to jump in on off side but holy hell is he 10x better than Stillman. I would think any of Wolanin Kalenyuk or Brisebois would be better just by having a brain.

Lockwood Studnicka stood out for me from the bottom 6 grinders. Joshua on the forecheck.

Michayev helps so much with our ability to handle speed. Schenn played solid lost Aho on that transition pass but Aho was flying and that was bang bang. Liked how much he pushed back on the heavy play on Hughes. especially when he smacked Kotkaniemi around

Bear had a really nice goal and effort in this one. Great trade 5th rounder no brainer. Love that he summoned the spirits for that goal from the Odjick news. Timing was eery and special

Kuzmenko once again pulls lightning from a bottle. If the plan is to temper him on a lower line while pumping Boeser for a trade im all for it. It's obviously just Bruce being Bruce but he did mail it in last game so...

Pettersson Miller Hughes had really good games and were dangerous most of the night.

Boeser is so frustrating. You see that net drive and the effort from preventing an empty net goal and then you wonder why he just cant elevate his movement for 15 minutes a night. If he was the rookie sniper we used to get you could live with it but he's got 8 goals half way through.

Delia has certainly outplayed Martin

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Kuzzy carried the team to victory

This after being screwed out of pp1 time and playing time by Bruce

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Which Monday isn't?
According to surveys, this particular one is the bluest of the blue so I’m going to enjoy this little win even though I know that we’re toast. Just wait till next year….Petterson, Kuzmenko and Bedard.

Reactions: Ozone

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
My gut is still telling me guys like Garland and Boeser are being shopped and is maybe why they're getting more ice time and opportunities right now. I think it's pretty obvious Kuzmenko is a better player then both of those guys, and the only thing that would make sense to why he's below them right now is to hopefully sell Garland and Boeser to other teams.

Reactions: wonton15

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Although it was 1-4 roadtrip, I don't think this team has given up on their coach. And this afternoon's effort proves it.

But sadly it many not be enough to prevent Boudreau from walking the plank. But really, what earthly sense does it make to changes coaches now?

But common sense and decision-making have rarely gone hand in hand when it comes to the Canucks.

Reactions: Grantham

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Although it was 1-4 roadtrip, I don't think this team has given up on their coach. And this afternoon's effort proves it.

But sadly it many not be enough to prevent Boudreau from walking the plank. But really, what earthly sense does it make to changes coaches now?

But common sense and decision-making have rarely gone hand in hand when it comes to the Canucks.

My guess is they want to give Tocchet a chance to get a close look at everyone before the off-season which will likely bring big roster changes.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Isnt that the GM's job..?..What the f*** does Tocchet know?

I imagine Tocchet is going to have a say in roster decisions, even if it's indirectly.

He's obviously going to give his thoughts on what he thinks the roster needs and which players he's not entirely fond of that they might want to consider trading because he's not going to play them.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I imagine Tocchet is going to have a say in roster decisions, even if it's indirectly.

He's obviously going to give his thoughts on what he thinks the roster needs and which players he's not entirely fond of that they might want to consider trading because he's not going to play them.
Good times...nothing like getting an assessment from a bum ass coach thats won absolutely jack shit. (475 %)......Yeo, even has a way better track record than he does...(.542%)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: geebaan

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Had the game on but didn't really pay that much attention.

Boeser looked decent.

Nice effort by Miller on the goal.

OEL is a disaster...

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Boeser is so frustrating. You see that net drive and the effort from preventing an empty net goal and then you wonder why he just cant elevate his movement for 15 minutes a night. If he was the rookie sniper we used to get you could live with it but he's got 8 goals half way through.
Well I had a couple games to play myself last night so I missed this one. Sounds like it should have been to watch but playing beats watching. Tough night though as we said final goodbyes with a moment of silence for a kid (22) who grew up before our eyes playing the game and even playing some junior in Canada (big accomplishment for a kid growing up in NW Arkansas).

On Boeser, it is sort of why I think he still has back issues. Some of it is certainly effort based but there are shifts where he can keep up just fine and then other shifts where the effort is there but there is no power in his stride. Something that can happen with a back injury is just not knowing if the leg(s) will be there when you ask them to be there.

Last edited:
Reactions: mathonwy

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Well I had a couple games to play myself last night so I missed this one. Sounds like it should have been to watch but playing beats watching. Tough night though as we said final goodbyes with a moment of silence for a kid (22) who grew up before our eyes playing the game and even playing some junior in Canada (big accomplishment for a kid growing up in NW Arkansas).

On Boeser, it is sort of why I think he still has back issues. Some of it is certainly effort based but there are shifts where he can keep up just fine and then other shifts where the effort is there but there is no power in his stride. Something that can happen with a back injury is just not knowing if the leg(s) will be there when you ask them to be there.
f***ed up back and doesn’t look like he’s touched a bench press in a couple years.

I gave Brock a pass for last season for his personal reasons.

Looking exactly the same after an entire off-season and a 3 year extension is Virtanenesque and not acceptable.

Wish we drafted Konecny.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Good times...nothing like getting an assessment from a bum ass coach thats won absolutely jack shit. (475 %)......Yeo, even has a way better track record than he does...(.542%)

Well they obviously don't see him as a bum ass coach; he's their "guy" so I assume they value his opinion.

Whether or not Tocchet is the right guy, typically you would want synergy between management and coaching when it comes to team building philosophy and whatnot...

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Well they obviously don't see him as a bum ass coach; he's their "guy" so I assume they value his opinion.

Whether or not Tocchet is the right guy, typically you would want synergy between management and coaching when it comes to team building philosophy and whatnot...
Yeah, even if you believe Bruce is the better coach, Tocchet is going to be treated like a king by management in comparison to him. He won't be a lame duck, he won't have management speak a word against him publicly, he'll likely have input on his own coaching staff and a say in roster construction. Compare that with Bruce this season who's been called out national television multiple times by JR, had no input on his staff, and was a lame duck coach.

It would be hard for any coach in the latter situation to look better than a guy in former situation.

Reactions: petka

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Yeah, even if you believe Bruce is the better coach, Tocchet is going to be treated like a king by management in comparison to him. He won't be a lame duck, he won't have management speak a word against him publicly, he'll likely have input on his own coaching staff and a say in roster construction. Compare that with Bruce this season who's been called out national television multiple times by JR, had no input on his staff, and was a lame duck coach.

It would be hard for any coach in the latter situation to look better than a guy in former situation.
What a dysfunctional mess of an organisation this is...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad