Post-Game Talk: [GM40] Canucks lose to Penguins | 4-5 | Garland, Boeser, Hughes, Dermott

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
I think it matters that Seattle was brutal last year despite some positives and found a way to take a huge step forward.

That's what good cap management does - it puts you in a position of power in a flat cap league. Meanwhile, we're stuck over here with the likes of OEL and Myers locked up on albatross deals...

Reactions: Foundational Player

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I mean couldn't that just as easily be us then? I mean either they were in a better spot to start with a clean slate, in which case its stupid to compare teams to them with the second season moniker as a negative. Or we can hope that hopeful we can do the same.

For the record I lean towards the first this wasn't suppose to sound pro-management.

This is not pro management in the slightest, to be clear.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
That Kuzmenko back check in the 2nd. You know the one? Where he turns the puck over on the PP and then just puts his head down and skates as hard as he can (not that hard really.)

Ends up saving what looks like a pretty sure goal AND gets the Pens another penalty.

This play needs to be shown to Miller on repeat for the the rest of the season.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
I don’t know how they could even get through the trade call without laughing.

7723br.jpg

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Another season where ridiculing the team's play is the biggest highlight. Really eager to hear more about how the team shouldn't consider trading some of their older (better) players to change the make up of the club and instead go all in signing them to long contracts. And then of course, easily trading away all terrible, overpaid players on multi year contracts. Really, its so easy when you look at it that way.

Clearly next year is going to be different. I mean, look at all the evidence!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
In just about every respect, this might be the most embarrassing season by the Canucks in the last 40 years. Even some of those bad teams in the 80's nd 90's were terrible because their roster was bad.

This Canuck team really isn't interested in playing defense or playing for each other. They'd rather cash their paychecks and wrack up the point totals for bonuses.

Their coach is a lame duck; they're being run by a 73-old president who looks more tired every day. And their owner was cited in a court action for alleged physical abuse of his children. Not to mention the litany of other court cases his businesses have been involved in.

I mean does the look for this franchise get any worse? Pretty soon Canuck fans are going to start attending games with paper bags over their heads.

We haven't seen this kind of ''shock and awe' franchise since Harold Ballard was running the Leafs into the ground.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
This team quits when things are tough
There is no team.

There is only a collection of individuals that sometimes plays ok together but most times do not.

There was a team when Tanev was still here but he was of course let go because we need Myers and OEL.

That Kuzmenko back check in the 2nd. You know the one? Where he turns the puck over on the PP and then just puts his head down and skates as hard as he can (not that hard really.)

Ends up saving what looks like a pretty sure goal AND gets the Pens another penalty.

This play needs to be shown to Miller on repeat for the the rest of the season.
he’s playing for next contract.

Miller knows how to do this but he’s already got his bag so f*** FAQ.

Reactions: supercanuck

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
In just about every respect, this might be the most embarrassing season by the Canucks in the last 40 years. Even some of those bad teams in the 80's nd 90's were terrible because their roster was bad.

This Canuck team really isn't interested in playing defense or playing for each other. They'd rather cash their paychecks and wrack up the point totals for bonuses.

Their coach is a lame duck; they're being run by a 73-old president who looks more tired every day. And their owner was cited in a court action for alleged physical abuse of his children. Not to mention the litany of other court cases his businesses have been involved in.

I mean does the look for this franchise get any worse? Pretty soon Canuck fans are going to start attending games with paper bags over their heads.

We haven't seen this kind of ''shock and awe' franchise since Harold Ballard was running the Leafs into the ground.
This team is capped out and historically bad, setting records for ineptitude. The AHL team is developing MAYBE two players who’ll be impactful at the NHL level. And as you pointed out, the franchise is owned by a truly despicable human being.
There’s really absolutely nothing to cheer for.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
So apparently Miller had loads of family and friends at the game which explains his brain dead penalty that put us down 2 men and his ridiculous 1 on 5 when we had the goalie pulled: HE CARES! HE WANTS TO IMPRESS HIS FAMILY AND HIS BUDS! Sometimes I wish he didn't really give a damn...

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I mean couldn't that just as easily be us then? I mean either they were in a better spot to start with a clean slate, in which case its stupid to compare teams to them with the second season moniker as a negative. Or we can hope that hopeful we can do the same.

For the record I lean towards the first this wasn't suppose to sound pro-management.

Management f***ed up. We were not in a great place but they made it worse. They doubled down instead instead of taking assets in trades and clearing cap.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Management f***ed up. We were not in a great place but they made it worse. They doubled down instead instead of taking assets in trades and clearing cap.

Again not to sound super pro management but last year everyone jumped and said the Kraken should have done a better job of this at the draft. So couldn't this be us?

Again my main opinion isn't that this management team is doing well, it is comparing a team to an expansion team is stupid. Both Vegas and now Seattle are proving this.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014

Became abundantly clear when the extension of JT Miller came in that this management group is also a bunch of frauds. That move right there was when we were at a crossroads as the organization could have hit the reset button with trading Miller, bringing in a haul for him along with whatever we will get for Horvat. This could've been a fast rebuild, as Horvat's going to get at least a 1st + a good prospect and the rumored JT Miller to the Rangers deal was a 1st, the equivalent of a 1st in Lundkvist (seeing he was dealt for a 1st at the beginning of this season, would not have been opposed to keeping him either seeing he is a right shot) and Chytil who is on pace for 53 points this season with 22 in his first 34. Beyond that, it would've put us in a position to try to weaponize some of the cap space we would have had - we could've claimed Tolvanen off waivers, traded for Bjorkstrand, etc. But that would require a management group that's forward thinking. With that being said, do I think Aquilini had a hand in the Miller extension? Absolutely. But to put the blame exclusively on him would be asinine. IIRC, the hold out on why JR didn't sign here immediately after Benning was fired was that he wanted guarantees that he would have full autonomy. It was reported that he did receive those guarantees. The end result is this, these dinosaurs who do not think progressively at all. The only good move we made this offseason was signing Kuzmenko, and the result of that is what we're seeing on the ice - a capped out team that had playoff aspirations (in the eyes of management) but is going head to head with the bottom 5 teams in the league analytically.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015

Like I said yesterday, fakest 5-4 game I have ever seen.

Canucks are so bad they make historic performances look mediocre. Crazy thing is I don’t even feel like last game was the teams worse game of the season.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
LOLOL

That TSN video talking about the game and the analysts are just LAYING into JT Miller on that faceoff goal. Saying nobody knows why he switched faceoff positions to the half wall, he’s not in the shooting lane. That goal is entirely on him. .

Reactions: Nucker101

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Became abundantly clear when the extension of JT Miller came in that this management group is also a bunch of frauds. That move right there was when we were at a crossroads as the organization could have hit the reset button with trading Miller, bringing in a haul for him along with whatever we will get for Horvat. This could've been a fast rebuild, as Horvat's going to get at least a 1st + a good prospect and the rumored JT Miller to the Rangers deal was a 1st, the equivalent of a 1st in Lundkvist (seeing he was dealt for a 1st at the beginning of this season, would not have been opposed to keeping him either seeing he is a right shot) and Chytil who is on pace for 53 points this season with 22 in his first 34. Beyond that, it would've put us in a position to try to weaponize some of the cap space we would have had - we could've claimed Tolvanen off waivers, traded for Bjorkstrand, etc. But that would require a management group that's forward thinking. With that being said, do I think Aquilini had a hand in the Miller extension? Absolutely. But to put the blame exclusively on him would be asinine. IIRC, the hold out on why JR didn't sign here immediately after Benning was fired was that he wanted guarantees that he would have full autonomy. It was reported that he did receive those guarantees. The end result is this, these dinosaurs who do not think progressively at all. The only good move we made this offseason was signing Kuzmenko, and the result of that is what we're seeing on the ice - a capped out team that had playoff aspirations (in the eyes of management) but is going head to head with the bottom 5 teams in the league analytically.

Myers could have been flipped last year at the deadline with a bit of retention, he was having a better than usual Myers year. Even in offseason if needed. He runs and cold, they should have sold while he's hot.

There was enough cap to be freed that they could have put together a decent right side D with two additions.

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
Myers could have been flipped last year at the deadline with a bit of retention, he was having a better than usual Myers year. Even in offseason if needed. He runs and cold, they should have sold while he's hot.

There was enough cap to be freed that they could have put together a decent right side D with two additions.
I think hindsight is 2020 here. With Myers playing well, pretty easy to expect him to continue. Unfortunately he’s tilted towards abomination but he looked the best he’s been last year. It’s hard enough to acquire RH dmen. I can understand the thought process of keeping him around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad