Post-Game Talk: [GM40] Canucks defeat Rangers | 6-3 ( Pettersson(2), Hoglander(2), Miller, & Boeser) | Took A Bite Out of the Big Apple

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Just got back from the game - was an absolute blast. Lots of Canucks fans in the arena which was cool to see, including a couple fellow brown boys right in front of me who were also having a ton of fun. Was nice to get all the glares from the fans after the game after so many were shit-talking beforehand :laugh:

I used to go to a lot of games in Vancouver before the Benning years, but this was my first one in 4-5 years, so I used it as a chance to look at some things that are harder to catch on TV. Some quick things:

Team toughness: Tocchet came in with a mandate to make guys play hard & not be soft on pucks, and boy, has that ever happened. These guys fight all over the ice, both in the flow of play and out of it, for every inch out there. Specifically, I love the way they play in front of the net - it is absolute hell for the opposing team to get in position for rebounds and tap ins. Petey also has a bit of Bure's soul in him - this guy loves getting physical behind the play to kind of wake himself up a bit. Miller also ran into a few of our own guys behind the play, and proceeded to tell them to wake the f up and get into the run of play - was quite amusing to see.

While the forwards may lack in size, I don't think I'd describe any of them (outside of Kuzmenko) as soft.

Defensive positioning: I thought when the puck was in their end, almost everyone was in position, which limited the chances to the outside. Combined with the team toughness in front of the net, it made it hard for the Rangers to really get anything substantial going, and you could tell from the fans in the arena they were getting hella frustrated.

On the other side of things, the neutral zone play still needs work. Too often guys were standing around + not moving their feet, which opened up easy transition lanes against a team that is quite good on that front. This felt like it was atypical as the Canucks are usually great at preventing odd-man rushes, but unsure.

Kuzmenko: I wanted to pay special attention to him to see what the camera wasn't catching, and holy crap he drove me up the wall all game - it's really easy to see why Tocchet is annoyed with him. His line changes are slow + sloppy, he's consistently out of position in the neutral zone in the wrong lane, and is holding the puck a half second too long when he's not deep enough in the offensive zone to be doing that. Don't get me started on his dzone coverages.

Maybe he doesn't play Tocchet hockey, but Tocchet isn't some 06-08 version of Vigneault where we were trapping it like it was hot. This team is scoring the most goals per game in the league, and the gap between us and 5th is bigger than from 5th to 20th. This is a Kuzmenko problem at this point, and I'm not sure he's fit to play winning hockey at the highest level at the moment.

There's more I could write about the game, but I think everyone else covered what I wanted to quite well as it was very apparent on TV. Loving the lotto line & riding it while its hot, but the team could really use another top 6, play driving forward who can work with Petey for MU purposes come playoff time so we can abuse teams without 2 strong shutdown pairs.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
There’s love and then there’s this…

the-mummy-americans.gif

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Thankfully garland is playing great on his magic line sothey can trade Mikheyev for whatever and get some massive tdl cap space to add a legit fwd and/or dman.

Reactions: David71 and Indiana

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
I’ve been pretty hesitant to call this team elite, but after tonight’s game(finally finished watching on PVR) how do you not go for it at the deadline? I mean we are truly a couple pieces from a viable cup contender.

The first this year has to be in the table. If we can get another top 6 guy or another top 4 righty you just have to do it with this team. The stars have aligned this year, we can’t miss this chance.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I’ve been pretty hesitant to call this team elite, but after tonight’s game(finally finished watching on PVR) how do you not go for it at the deadline? I mean we are truly a couple pieces from a viable cup contender.

The first this year has to be in the table. If we can get another top 6 guy or another top 4 righty you just have to do it with this team. The stars have aligned this year, we can’t miss this chance.
Just as long as they don’t force a trade

Allvin and company have done a really great job finding talent and making good trades, they prolly have a couple lined up and are waiting for the price to come down

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Suffice it to say Pettersson's lackluster scoring wasn't so much his problem but the crap he's been playing with. :laugh:

my hope here is this stint is a little pick-me-up/reward to petey for being saddled with bad linemates and get his mojo back. and then he’ll get split back off onto his own line and extend that mojo to kuz.

Yes along with their mother

aww, that brings back the holiday warm and fuzzies. first quinn hughes wins his first hughes family cup, now mysies wins big in his brother’s house.

weird family: the brother who is a white ice hockey defenceman is the tall one and brother who plays exclusively on the perimeter is the one who knows how to defend.

Tocchet speaks fairly frequently about the team staying on an even keel and he mentioned it again post-game tonight.

last game after hischier scored in the third to make it a one goal game and tocchet took a timeout, the camera went to him and i was sure he was going to flip his lid and scream and yell until he made someone cry. but you could read his lips, he was just telling everyone to calm down.

when he was hired, i was optimistic because he was a smart player who was really good with small details. but temperamentally, he is the total opposite of what i expected.

I'm just having so much fun this season. Like my brain can't process what we had to endure to get here.

the sad thing is what we had to endure had absolutely nothing to do with us getting here. it’s not like we were the early 90s nordiques and needed to get three straight first overall picks and then trade them to create a superduperteam. for almost ten years, a bunch of dumb f***s led by king shit just kept slamming the door on their own dicks for no reason.

so i missed this game, but watching the highlights, the thing that jumped out at me other than obviously the gorgeous goals was hughes was on the ice for almost all of them. he only finished with one assist, but he keyed all those breakouts. other than mcdavid, does anyone in the game tilt the ice like he does?

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna

Could you image the 'Jim Benning built a Cup winner's core' narrative that Jim apologists would push?

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Team looked real good this game. Due to contracts we should go all in this year. We might really have a chance this year.

The only other team that makes me worry about our chances is the oilers. They play like us except they have more talented forward.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Why yes, yes I can.
:laugh:
*JT Miller wins the Conn Smythe*
Commentators:
"Jim Benning made a masterful trade, acquiring JT Miller for the TBay Lightning..."

When in reality, it's the new management group that locked him up and moved out the troublesome contracts.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Just got back from the game - was an absolute blast. Lots of Canucks fans in the arena which was cool to see, including a couple fellow brown boys right in front of me who were also having a ton of fun. Was nice to get all the glares from the fans after the game after so many were shit-talking beforehand :laugh:

I used to go to a lot of games in Vancouver before the Benning years, but this was my first one in 4-5 years, so I used it as a chance to look at some things that are harder to catch on TV. Some quick things:

Team toughness: Tocchet came in with a mandate to make guys play hard & not be soft on pucks, and boy, has that ever happened. These guys fight all over the ice, both in the flow of play and out of it, for every inch out there. Specifically, I love the way they play in front of the net - it is absolute hell for the opposing team to get in position for rebounds and tap ins. Petey also has a bit of Bure's soul in him - this guy loves getting physical behind the play to kind of wake himself up a bit. Miller also ran into a few of our own guys behind the play, and proceeded to tell them to wake the f up and get into the run of play - was quite amusing to see.

While the forwards may lack in size, I don't think I'd describe any of them (outside of Kuzmenko) as soft.

Defensive positioning: I thought when the puck was in their end, almost everyone was in position, which limited the chances to the outside. Combined with the team toughness in front of the net, it made it hard for the Rangers to really get anything substantial going, and you could tell from the fans in the arena they were getting hella frustrated.

On the other side of things, the neutral zone play still needs work. Too often guys were standing around + not moving their feet, which opened up easy transition lanes against a team that is quite good on that front. This felt like it was atypical as the Canucks are usually great at preventing odd-man rushes, but unsure.

Kuzmenko: I wanted to pay special attention to him to see what the camera wasn't catching, and holy crap he drove me up the wall all game - it's really easy to see why Tocchet is annoyed with him. His line changes are slow + sloppy, he's consistently out of position in the neutral zone in the wrong lane, and is holding the puck a half second too long when he's not deep enough in the offensive zone to be doing that. Don't get me started on his dzone coverages.

Maybe he doesn't play Tocchet hockey, but Tocchet isn't some 06-08 version of Vigneault where we were trapping it like it was hot. This team is scoring the most goals per game in the league, and the gap between us and 5th is bigger than from 5th to 20th. This is a Kuzmenko problem at this point, and I'm not sure he's fit to play winning hockey at the highest level at the moment.

There's more I could write about the game, but I think everyone else covered what I wanted to quite well as it was very apparent on TV. Loving the lotto line & riding it while its hot, but the team could really use another top 6, play driving forward who can work with Petey for MU purposes come playoff time so we can abuse teams without 2 strong shutdown pairs.
Curious as to how much tickets were?

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
FYI, when I said Hoglander had a higher ceiling than Podkolzin, this is the Hoglander I meant. No diss on Podkolzin, but Hoglander is a lot like Burrows for me - tons of skill at a lower speed, but he can skate f***ing fast as well, tenacious forechecker. Love to see it. Easily the most improved player on the team if not for Tyler Myers, and I think it has everything to do with confidence and coaching.

Dude, I saw a headline and wanted to disagree, but I can't logically. This was a f***ing statement game. Rangers are probably the safest bet to win the Cup right now...Avs and Knights close behind. We went blow for blow with the Rangers twice, and I feel like the first game we deserved a much better fate we played well. Then we just told them when can beat ya if we don't have the puck that often as well, in your own barn. This team is riding a wave ~~~ of confidence, all the orcas in the pod are humming the same tune boys.

It's official. I'm excited. Wherever it goes.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
*JT Miller wins the Conn Smythe*
Commentators:
"Jim Benning made a masterful trade, acquiring JT Miller for the TBay Lightning..."

When in reality, it's the new management group that locked him up and moved out the troublesome contracts.
then someone should hire him as the GM tomorrow

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Based on this one game at least, you can see why teams are consistently calling the Canucks about Hoglander. Now up to 12 goals on the season and getting nine minutes on a lot of nights.

This kid is indefatigable on the forecheck; and has an elite set of hands when he gets a scoring chance. His shooting percentage has to be off the charts.

Really hope the Canucks won't be tempted to move him as part of a bigger deal.

Reactions: quat and Indiana

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
so i missed this game, but watching the highlights, the thing that jumped out at me other than obviously the gorgeous goals was hughes was on the ice for almost all of them. he only finished with one assist, but he keyed all those breakouts. other than mcdavid, does anyone in the game tilt the ice like he does?

hughes really is the driver of all of this. and because he plays so much, i think he actually tilts the ice more than mcdavid.

the lotto line will get all the headlines from last night just off the score sheet, but quinn should be up for the hart, and it would've been great if he had a few more points in this high profile game to help that case.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Curious as to how much tickets were?

Less than you'd think. My family ended up getting my wife and I tickets for Christmas, but when I was looking earlier in the year (November) it was ~$130 USD each for good tickets, which was quite a bit less than what it was for tickets against Chicago. The secondary market hadn't quite caught on to this being two top seeds going at it.

Arena was fairly quiet, but not as quiet as the Nets game I went to last year. Fans were ruthless on their own team, booing your boys when you've had such a good season to date was a bit surprising to me.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
It looks unbalanced when the top line scores 4 goals and it is, but on the other hand in this game our bottom 9 outscored the Rangers bottom 9 by a score of 2-0 at 5 on 5 (assuming Laf-Trochek-Panarin are the Rangers' top line, though some would debate that.)

Someone might want to put some more work into it, but it seems to me the Canucks aren't suffering from their bottom lines getting outplayed and outscored by the opposition. A quick look at the Pacific Division indicates to me that only Calgary's forwards as a whole are competitive with the Canucks outside the top scoring line.

Certainly the Canucks could use a scoring winger (breaking up 6-40-9) or center if 6-40-9 stays together, but their forwards as a whole are producing pretty well even outside the hot group at the top of the lineup.
Yes, our third and even fourth lines are really producing well, no complaints there. And our D is also producing points. The only concern I have is the second line. Loading up the Lotto Line is a great nuclear option, but also easier to focus on over a seven game playoff series.
Having a potent second line would ease that issue, while also having the Lotto Line contingency.

Reactions: quat

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
When the reporter asked Petey how good it was to play with the 6 40 9 line again, he lit up like a Christmas tree there. Saying it's a lot of fun.

I honestly think it's time to get Pettersson some better linemates.
Not that we need to get into it, but that was Swedish sarcasm, not pure joy. You'll note he says "It's just so fun talking about it - talking about that line." As in, he gets asked about it a lot.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
True statement game..battle of the heavyweights on the big stage..The Canucks didn't disappoint..Two outstanding highlight reel goals...Everyone brought their A game.

Best game of the season, so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad