Post-Game Talk: [GM40] Canucks defeat Rangers | 6-3 ( Pettersson(2), Hoglander(2), Miller, & Boeser) | Took A Bite Out of the Big Apple

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Obviously the skill plays by Pettersson and Hoglander stand out as the difference-makers in this game, but I thought as a team we were remarkable with our sticks in the third. Constantly pushing them back, never letting them take the middle or get good shots. Just a perfect road period, I thought. I missed the first unfortunately but goodness, did I enjoy those goals late in the second.

Reactions: Indiana

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Deadline: Allvin flips Myers and a 1st for Elias Lindholm and Tanev with retention

We all build Allvin shrines in our room

I’m in the minority here, obviously, but I don’t see why you’d do this when you could ditch Kuzmenko for basically the same cap hit, who is effectively net neutral, keep the defense largely intact … maybe add some depth, and use the 1st + to acquire another scoring winger like Guentzel.

Fix the top-four permanently (or at least until Willander arrives) and try to open up space to retain Guentzel in the summer. You could even sign Tanev, probably, for no assets.

Reactions: Indiana and Nomobo

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Decent road trip wins but now with a nice points cushion time to mix it up, EP back with the  elite miikheyev, hronek hold his own pair with myers, and Zadorov to the bottom pair.
Get their aav's down and then sign em all to extensions = profit.

Indiana

Mar 17, 2008
Canada
Time to feed your schadenfreude. Guzzle up, boyos!

RANGERS FORUM said:
-Defense sucks, Shesterkin regressed hard this year. They undressed us twice this period. Their hickey sense is off the charts compared to ours.

-Man, Demko was what Igor should be. He's what Igor can be if he weren't a mental little person.

-This is the most dynamic offensive team we've faced all year.

-Lmao almost again from the same spot WTF
-I don’t know why shesterkin is still in this game after the first period let alone now
-Igor can not make a f***ing save.
-Nils Zoolander wow
-Yikes, tells you all you need to know that he even felt comfortable enough to try that move

-This team is light years more skilled than us.
-Wow. This is just a clinic. Bud damn these are gorgeous.
-f*** this bullshit.
-Vancouver wants to be on ESPN highlights reels tonight.

-So much for not worrying about the 'Kings of PDO.'

-Canucks are abusing the 1-3-1.
-Rangers are backing in below the blue line when VCR hasnt even crossed the red line. f***ing freeway through the NZ.

-They’re getting embarrassed btw. Vancouver is pulling open hockey moves like they’re a cat playing with their food.

-We're a slow-ass team trying to play a skill game that's getting feasted on by actual fast and skilled teams.

-The plugs could at least plaster some people instead of letting Vancouver storm down the slot over and over again. Zero fear, as well they should.

-He has like one, Demko has had like 10. Look at the f***ing stats.

-Demko's only had to be positionally sound to make his stops. Because all of our offensive production is predicated on tap-ins and slam-dunk attempts off passes. He doesn't need to deal with dekes or Rangers cutting in close, cutting laterally on him.

-Vancouver actually has guys in position to prevent that.

-Canucks looking like genuine contenders.
We look like schmucks

-Who didn't see Vancouver coming into elite status this year. It was quite evident last year when they embarrassed us.

-Rangers LOVE inflating the Hughes family stat lines.

-The Canucks staying out of the penalty box is the big story to me here. They learned their lesson from the game in Vancouver.
-Rangers need to force Vancouver into taking penalties. That's not happening.

-Score 3 on demko u should win the game
-Not really. Vancouver leads the league in scoring.

-Entertaining, but not competitive.
Outclassed and outworked in every aspect of the game. Igor was horrific. The Canucks are lucky AND good, and it doesn't look like their luck is running out any time soon. They passed this test with flying colors. Excellent game for them, but they frankly didn't have to try all that hard.

-Our league best winning percentage which was at a 3 way tie coming into tonight has gone like a fart in the wind

-We had an overwhelming majority of our chances on tip ins in front of Demko who was dialed in on those. Even Vally said we were making it easy on him because he's good on those.

OILERS FORUM said:
-Tocchet has to be the Jack Adams favourite
Credit where it's due the Canucks are just not falling off

-Yeah, they aren't right now. Outshot 13-7 (yes quality of shots count too) and Canucks have 3 goals on 7 shots lol. It's like a broken record. NYR shooting from the outside too.
10 shots on goal for VAN half way through the game. Their formula is working though, despite what the underlying numbers all say.

-Vancouver literally scores every four shots.

-5G on 18 shots. Should start calling them the Vancouver Horseshoes.

-Vancouver became like the 80s Oilers overnight. What is this nonsense?

-The Rangers are crap now, basically look like a senior+ team. Not a good test for Vancouver really.

-I don't get how they are high up. I am never impressed. Vancouver outplayed them last game I think. Tonight NYR are literally doing what we did at the start of the year. Not giving up much, but everytime they do it is a Grade AAA chance and the shooting % monsters are making them pay.

-That Rangers Canucks game was wild. Rangers dominated everything including the scoring chances in that game and Canucks just opportunistic as ever while Demko making 10 bell saves seemingly every shift.

-Canucks this year might legit be the luckiest team in the history of the league. Their shooting % numbers are through the roof.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I’m in the minority here, obviously, but I don’t see why you’d do this when you could ditch Kuzmenko for basically the same cap hit, who is effectively net neutral, keep the defense largely intact … maybe add some depth, and use the 1st + to acquire another scoring winger like Guentzel.

Fix the top-four permanently (or at least until Willander arrives) and try to open up space to retain Guentzel in the summer. You could even sign Tanev, probably, for no assets.
It wasn't a serious post, but if I had to address it as if I was serious, i'm in the camp of not ditching Kuzmenko and adding to that top 6 depth potentially with a 2C so the Lotto line can cook instead. Kuz clearly is super skilled offensively and can make things happen out of nowhere - a high end offensive element we really don't have outside of the Lotto line.

If you can ditch Myers without paying, and address his minutes with Tanev to play on our third pair, that's a no brainer. This is a year where our lineup is just clicking and the chemistry is white hot. Our depth players are massively outperforming their contracts (Joshua pacing for like 40 points on near league minimum; Blueger, Lafferty, Hog, etc. performing great relative to their costs and we will likely not see this cost-to-output ratio all over the lineup again next year). You address weaknesses (Top 6 scorer, Myers being a giraffe) if you can and add to it. Strike while the iron is hot.

If Guentzel is available, obviously I do that too.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
When the reporter asked Petey how good it was to play with the 6 40 9 line again, he lit up like a Christmas tree there. Saying it's a lot of fun.

I honestly think it's time to get Pettersson some better linemates.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
When the reporter asked Petey how good it was to play with the 6 40 9 line again, he lit up like a Christmas tree there. Saying it's a lot of fun.

I honestly think it's time to get Pettersson some better linemates.

Yep.

Carrying plugs sucks the life out of a competitor

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
It wasn't a serious post, but if I had to address it as if I was serious, i'm in the camp of not ditching Kuzmenko and adding to that top 6 depth potentially with a 2C so the Lotto line can cook instead. Kuz clearly is super skilled offensively and can make things happen out of nowhere - a high end offensive element we really don't have outside of the Lotto line.

If you can ditch Myers without paying, and address his minutes with Tanev to play on our third pair, that's a no brainer. This is a year where our lineup is just clicking and the chemistry is white hot. Our depth players are massively outperforming their contracts (Joshua pacing for like 40 points on near league minimum; Blueger, Lafferty, Hog, etc. performing great relative to their costs and we will likely not see this cost-to-output ratio all over the lineup again next year). You address weaknesses (Top 6 scorer, Myers being a giraffe) if you can and add to it. Strike while the iron is hot.

Getting another center means we can roll the lotto line and still have depth scoring.
I don’t think anyone really trusts Myers in the playoffs, dude makes the stupidest mistakes when the pressure ramps up.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
EP40 is such a diva that goes on his phone to much.
Shit I am a Diva apparently

I'm loving after most wins a large percent of comments are that they didn't have good goaltending.

Nah, you just got starched.
Love how the Oilers fans are keying on the shooting % and ignoring the fact the boeser goals and Petey goal are like super high % skill plays. Yeah the odds of you scoring is high when you have a player go 1on1 vs the goalie.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Pretty amazing how much that appears to have been the case.

Despite the Mikheyev/Kuzmenko line getting more ice time, Hoglander/Lafferty's line looks so much more like the third line, despite the former's advantage of having Suter, who's far superior to Aman.

I actually feel really bad for Suter, and wish we could afford to have him between Hoglander/Lafferty instead.
Elias Lindholm come on down!
I'm not even worried about our D anymore. I mean it's not perfect but it's vastly improved. One obvious tell is how little our D take penalties, they are seldom hemmed in our zone, one just needs to watch a game from last season, watching them constantly fail to get the puck out to appreciate how much things have changed.

People rag on Myers and he does make some mistakes but the more teams I watch and see what a lot of them are trotting out I realize their #6 isn't a +15 on pace for 35 points.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Tocchet speaks fairly frequently about the team staying on an even keel and he mentioned it again post-game tonight.

Watching the post-game interview from Hoglander, one has to think that as far as keeping an even keel, he more than gets it. No enthusiasm whatsoever after beating the Eastern Conference leaders in their own historic barn on the 3rd game of a road trip and after contributing two goals, one of them a highlight reel individual showcase.

He also managed to say pretty much nothing. As an interview, well, he isn't Ian Cole. The interview is online at POSTGAME | Hoglander at Rangers | Vancouver Canucks

Petey on the other hand started out pretty much the same but ended up really lighting up a couple of times during his interview. He really seems to enjoy playing with Miller and Boeser. That interview has already been linked above in this thread.

• Love

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

I could see either, really. But Myers is averaging 19 minutes per game on the right-side, and when appropriately managed, has been rather useful in those minutes. Kuzmenko is playing under 15 minutes per game and is regularly scratched. I also wonder if Tocchet will even play him in the playoffs.

Can't help but wonder if you're robbing Peter to pay Paul here. I just find it hard to believe they will trade a right-side defenseman logging that type of ice on one of the league's top teams, but I guess if you find a replacement.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarrenX

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad