Post-Game Talk: [GM39] Canucks lose to Jets | 4-7 | Miller, Studnicka, Horvat, Dries

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I really liked them today. Crazy how little they were to blame in a game where the team gives up 7.

It’s an odd pairing but is starting to work. Their skating and smarts are really effective together. Since both are so good at puck retrievals they’ve started supporting each other really well; leading to some solid breakouts and few chances against.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
fire bruce. yeo and cull interims for the rest of the year. drop down the standings alot.if BO is traded. season is done anyways. pathetic.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
And again, the team as built if performing as expected should be substantially outperforming their expected goal share. And will again if Demko returns to his previous form.

This is a bad defensive team. Obviously. But we were supposed to have an elite starting goalie and instead have received some of the worst goaltending in modern memory.
And relying on elite goaltending doesn’t change the fact that even with it they still aren’t a good team. They still wouldn’t be going anywhere.

They’ve had elite goaltending in the past and finished low. There is no guarantee about anything given all sorts of team dynamics. You can say “if they received good goaltending” and the next person an say “they’d be even worse without Horvat shooting at an unprecedented rate” or a variety of other things. What ifs go both ways. This year is one of those what ifs…what if the goaltending lets them down.

What we do know is that time and again this core disappoints and finds ways to lose.

Last edited:

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
And relying on elite goaltending doesn’t change the fact that even with it they still aren’t a good team. They still wouldn’t be going anywhere.
I think that may be what ownership wants. 41 entertaining home games with a lot of goals that we win maybe the majority of. We are in the playoff chase until the very end and the fans are engaged all season. Great success in Vancouver.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Well in my very humble opinion Collin Delia is at this very moment being "Skudra-ed" by this team: I predict he will not play another game in the NHL or at least certainly not with this team. He did indeed have a stinker of a game but I thought only two of the goals were "bad" goals and since this was the noon start road game on the trip you absolutely knew that a) Delia the cannon fodder would get the start and b) the team would play like total dogshit in front of him. It should be noted here that this was his FIRST game with this team where he had a less than .900 save %. Apparently Demko is along on this road trip so you know that the team will rush him back into action as soon as is humanly possible in the fervent hope that last-year Demko shows up (and not this year's Demko whose numbers are vastly inferior to both Delia's AND Martin's). I predict extremely mediocre performances from the Demko/Martin tandem and would like to wish Collin Delia the best of luck in his future endeavors which I can pretty much guarantee won't be with this franchise. This board tonight has outdone itself with superlatives such as "worst goaltending of the century" and "horrific" etc. etc. Well done folks.
Ok sure but he's also a guy who has gotten lots of kicks at the can at the NHL level (he had appearances every year except 2019 for the Hawks) and hasn't managed better than .905 in the AHL since 2019-2020.

Lots of guys who can't hack the NHL can dominate the AHL. Delia has NEVER done that. Martin at least had two pretty consistent years in the 'A' and then followed it up with a great 6 games up with the big club last season. It was basically one more game than Delia has had so far but he kept up his numbers. There is nothing Delia can do even if he gets his 6th game to match Martin's performance last season.

I find it difficult to believe he's being "wronged" here since it only took 1 game to plummet his save percentage to .902 which is exactly in line with his career numbers. Issue is that other guys who were already under contract for the Hawks (and younger) were giving this exact level or better of performance. He couldn't beat out an aging Cam Ward (I remember at the time I didn't think Ward deserved to be in the NHL still), Lehner/Subban, Lankinen/Subban, or MAF/Lankinen/Soderblom. Keep in mind this year the Hawks went with Mrazek....

In this case Martin is already under contract for two years and to me has a more sustainable game. Don't get me wrong, Martin has stunk this season. But I think we would be worse off with Delia in the same workload.

He's also had the same run support as Martin, since the Canucks have scored 7, 5, 2, 4, and now 4 in his appearances.

Timmins shrugging off 5 years of injury to turn back into the player that dominated the 2018 WJCs is just crazy.

I loved this player a few years ago but thought the ship had sailed on him. Stupid Leafs.
For whatever dumb mistakes they've made in the past, their ability to shed marginal players (which they got for cheap) to pick up better players (that they get for cheap) is something I envy.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Can we please now trade anyone not named Demko, EP or Hughes for whatever they can get. (Keep Podz as well - unless a major overpayment). trade OEL and Myers, try and get a 2 or a 3rd, a mild one season cap dump and retain $2M on each of them. Hopefully get a 1st, a prospect and a $3M cap dump for Horvat. Kozmenko should garner a lot.

Sadly, I suspect its a buyers market right now.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

They’ve had elite goaltending in the past and finished low. There is no guarantee about anything given all sorts of team dynamics. You can say “if they received good goaltending” and the next person an say “they’d be even worse without Horvat shooting at an unprecedented rate” or a variety of other things. What ifs go both ways. This year is one of those what ifs…what if the goaltending lets them down.

What we do know is that time and again this core disappoints and finds ways to lose.

Even if the team was going .900 and facing .880 goaltending (shooting 11.2%) they would be just +5 goals. If that shooting percentage reverted to a still high 10.2% they would be -8.

It's not a good team and needs Demko in peak form to carry it.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
The new lotto line looks very good. Could be one of the best lines in the league going forward, with a final cost of 23-24 milly, isn't unreasonable.

Reactions: B-rock

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Vancouver Canucks are becoming that franchise where guys who were once good players, but are now pushing 30--get to finally punch that last big meal ticket before they head off into the sunset.

Three of the highest paid guys on this team are really just a shadow of the players they once were--despite their huge paychecks. But this was the Benning way.

I'm sure guys like Beagle, Gudbranson, Sutter. Roussel and Eriksson will have Jimbo on their grateful Xmas card list forever. After all, he paid them millions to be fourth liners and penalty killers, and set them up for life. And now Miller is set to join the list.

You look at this current roster, more than half of them have guaranteed contracts. They'll get paid regardless of where the team finishes. And because they can score goals, many of these guys will probably reach their individual points bonuses, even as the teams sinks to the bottom of the league with shoddy defense.

This is just a badly constructed roster. Too many guys who make way more than they should....and bunch of grinders and journeyman who are just struggling to stay in the league. if was one of the bottom of the roster guys, I'd be feeling pretty resentful.

It really is becoming an almost impossible group of players to cheer for.

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
Bo.jpg

Nov 1, 2011
fire bruce. yeo and cull interims for the rest of the year. drop down the standings alot.if BO is traded. season is done anyways. pathetic.

Umm, season is done whether we trade Bo or not...it's been done since the 15 game mark.

Okay to enjoy the occasional home win but we really should be trying to lose.

Be more Chicago Blackhawks, less Houston Texans...

Also, for god sakes, stop signing day one UFAs.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It’s an odd pairing but is starting to work. Their skating and smarts are really effective together. Since both are so good at puck retrievals they’ve started supporting each other really well; leading to some solid breakouts and few chances against.

I actually don't think it's an odd pairing. I like having two offensive-ish guys together and then deploy them appropriately.

Reactions: me2 and Vector

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
By surrendering yesterday's 'converted touchdown' to the Jets, according to the standings this morning the Canucks are the third worst defensive team in the entire NHL. Only San Jose and Anaheim have coughed more goals.

For a team this bad defensively, even a .500 record by the end of the season would have to be considered a minor miracle. Meantime down the I-5, the second year Seattle Kraken have surrendered more than 30 fewer goals in the exactly the same number of games.

Is there no end to this Canuck humiliation?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The Vancouver Canucks are becoming that franchise where guys who were once good players, but are now pushing 30--get to finally punch that last big meal ticket before they head off into the sunset.

Three of the highest paid guys on this team are really just a shadow of the players they once were--despite their huge paychecks. But this was the Benning way.

I'm sure guys like Beagle, Gudbranson, Sutter. Roussel and Eriksson will have Jimbo on their grateful Xmas card list forever. After all, he paid them millions to be fourth liners and penalty killers, and set them up for life. And now Miller is set to join the list.

You look at this current roster, more than half of them have guaranteed contracts. They'll get paid regardless of where the team finishes. And because they can score goals, many of these guys will probably reach their individual points bonuses, even as the teams sinks to the bottom of the league with shoddy defense.

This is just a badly constructed roster. Too many guys who make way more than they should....and bunch of grinders and journeyman who are just struggling to stay in the league. if was one of the bottom of the roster guys, I'd be feeling pretty resentful.

It really is becoming an almost impossible group of players to cheer for.
My favourite is your offseason posts vs your in season posts.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
My favourite is your offseason posts vs your in season posts.
He’s probably not going to respond to you as he mostly uses this place as a blog.

On another note, this is not the real Canucks. The real Canucks are the ones who just beat the defending Cup champs 😎

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Ok sure but he's also a guy who has gotten lots of kicks at the can at the NHL level (he had appearances every year except 2019 for the Hawks) and hasn't managed better than .905 in the AHL since 2019-2020.

Lots of guys who can't hack the NHL can dominate the AHL. Delia has NEVER done that. Martin at least had two pretty consistent years in the 'A' and then followed it up with a great 6 games up with the big club last season. It was basically one more game than Delia has had so far but he kept up his numbers. There is nothing Delia can do even if he gets his 6th game to match Martin's performance last season.

I find it difficult to believe he's being "wronged" here since it only took 1 game to plummet his save percentage to .902 which is exactly in line with his career numbers. Issue is that other guys who were already under contract for the Hawks (and younger) were giving this exact level or better of performance. He couldn't beat out an aging Cam Ward (I remember at the time I didn't think Ward deserved to be in the NHL still), Lehner/Subban, Lankinen/Subban, or MAF/Lankinen/Soderblom. Keep in mind this year the Hawks went with Mrazek....

In this case Martin is already under contract for two years and to me has a more sustainable game. Don't get me wrong, Martin has stunk this season. But I think we would be worse off with Delia in the same workload.

He's also had the same run support as Martin, since the Canucks have scored 7, 5, 2, 4, and now 4 in his appearances.

For whatever dumb mistakes they've made in the past, their ability to shed marginal players (which they got for cheap) to pick up better players (that they get for cheap) is something I envy.
Well I should point out that I have no dog in this race at all; I just think that when Demko went down we should have wiped both backup goalies' slates clean and, starting with Martin (because he had those 6 good games last year of which he won but 3) let them compete for the job; win and you're in etc. They didn't do this and kept starting Martin even when he had multiple terrible games in a row only playing Delia when they absolutely had to and avoiding exposing Martin to tough games like Winnipeg at noon, a time honoured Canucks tradition which has littered the road to obscurity with destroyed careers while the goalies being sheltered don't benefit from what I call "tempering", that is, playing tough games. I believe in a meritocracy and IMHO they should have gone with Delia for a spell simply because, even though his little stint with us was interrupted by the birth of his child (imagine the fuss that would have been made if this would have been, say, Lou back in his prime) I think you play the goalie that you perceive to be the best in the tough games and reserve the backup for a) back to backs and b) the occasional winnable game, even an easy home game once in awhile. From where I sit Delia outplayed Martin especially in the rebound department and in the bad stoppable goals department both of which Martin is terrible at. The list of destroyed backup goalies who have played for the Canucks is seemingly endless and more than a few of them have left here and rebounded quite nicely when handled with some expertise. We seem to have never had that expertise with our team. None of this matters much since winning games is the last thing we want now but still it rankles. Again I predict that Demko and Martin should help the tank out immeasurable in the weeks to come. I myself don't think much of either of them...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad