Post-Game Talk: [GM36] Canucks lose to Flames | 2-3 | Dries & Pettersson

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Someone needs to slap Jonathan Tanner around.

Maybe they he’d might care.

I wouldn’t mind so much him being a prick if he was producing and playing well.

But he’s mailed it in since he got his shiny new contract.

Great job mgmt.

i think that’s the thing for me.

who wants to cheer for a sour personality who acts like he’s above addressing the fans and/or treats them like they’re a nuisance?

other than one glorious goal against st louis, i just don’t think jtm has ever done anything to win me over. bure and eventually kesler, what they brought on the ice outweighed the negatives. imo jtm and bertuzzi can

1672507185062.gif

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
i think that’s the thing for me.

who wants to cheer for a sour personality who acts like he’s above addressing the fans and/or treats them like they’re a nuisance?

other than one glorious goal against st louis, i just don’t think jtm has ever done anything to win me over. bure and eventually kesler, what they brought on the ice outweighed the negatives. imo jtm and bertuzzi can

View attachment 628520

It would be revisionist of me to say to I didn’t appreciate Miller’s level of play over the last few years. He walked in, solidified himself as a top line player, was excellent in the bubble playoffs, and was a fiery competitor.

But this year reminds me of Bertuzzi’s last couple of years in a Canucks jersey. The talent was still there, but the will was so inconsistent, and the attitude so transparently sour, that it became hard to cheer for him.

I hope Miller can pull his head out of his ass and get his game back on track. But his start to this year has been rough, and difficult to cheer for.

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
Calgary's current roster looks so terrible and they have nothing coming in their pipeline.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Usually a good game...probably have to give the edge to Calgary in this one..Canucks looked lousy with their puck support after the first period against the Jets last game..I'm expecting more of the same.

Hopefully , EP delivers some magic.

The 'grass is always greener, but here' fans here, had the Flames pegged as SC contenders before the season...They're are not radically better than the Canucks...

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Nothing wrong with what Miller did. Anyone who thinks there is, I dunno, I question if they’ve played high level sports. Things get intense, people want to win, it shouldn’t be taken personally.
He seems to constantly upset the easily offended ,always indignant viewers of the team.

I've watched the highlights and, for the life of me,.... wonder what all the fuss is about..

Reactions: m9 and RutherPlan

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
This is such nonsense.

Canucks reddit is freaking out about this too.

What I saw? A 3rd string goalie who doesn't know the intricacies, the day-to-day of how this team communicates and pulls the goalie.

I think Delia had tunnel-vision on Bruce because as the 3rd stringer, he wanted to cross all of his T's and dot all of his I's.

The team was communicating with him that they wanted him out to open up another passing option for the breakout (out number the Jets on the ice) and Delia, with tunnel vision, wasn't hearing it. Miller finally slapped the net with his stick and said, 'f***ing go to the bench' to break through Delia's trance.

Miller has done some stupid shit and been petulant at times, but this is an absolute nothingburger.

It's all because he wore a certain hat and now people are jumping on him at every opportunity they can.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
It's so bizarre the constant romanticizing of the 2011 'leadership' core, in comparison to todays.. as if the exact same criticisms didn't exist back then.

The Sedins were passive af, never really hated to lose, and had endless shenanigan's on their 'led' team. Kesler and Burr would frequently cross lines while taunting other teams, pulling stunts etc.

Edler was a careless suspension magnet, who never once lifted a finger for a teammate on ice.

Bieksa, aka Casual Kev.. not a name he got undeservedly to say the least.

These guys built the country club, it may have been a well oiled club... but a club none the less.

That group went on 1 deep run, then never won a series again (and only 1 single playoff game) until the 1st year of the current core was assembled. They were dismantled a few seasons later with enough drama and baggage, that its still making headlines over 10 years later lolol.

These days we just have to worry about the kids playing too many video games, and a guy who swears loudly near the rink mic's.

You're kidding about Edler right... he had his first ever suspension in 2013, 7 years into being a Canuck. All of his suspensions came after the 2011 team had aged out and the team was in freefall/mediocrity. To call him a careless suspension magnet on that 2011 leadership core is totally misleading.

Bieksa is massively overrated at this point, but even if you think Kes and Burr chirping teams is a lack of leadership...what about on the ice? Kesler's 200 foot effort, blocking shots, drawing calls, etc was absolutely leadership and it won us a lot of games. We had a handful of guys that worked their tails off every night. I wish we had Kes and Burr today. People compare Kesler and Miller and while they are similar in attitude, Kes actually cared about defense.

Reactions: bh53

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
You're kidding about Edler right... he had his first ever suspension in 2013, 7 years into being a Canuck. All of his suspensions came after the 2011 team had aged out and the team was in freefall/mediocrity. To call him a careless suspension magnet on that 2011 leadership core is totally misleading.

Bieksa is massively overrated at this point, but even if you think Kes and Burr chirping teams is a lack of leadership...what about on the ice? Kesler's 200 foot effort, blocking shots, drawing calls, etc was absolutely leadership and it won us a lot of games. We had a handful of guys that worked their tails off every night. I wish we had Kes and Burr today. People compare Kesler and Miller and while they are similar in attitude, Kes actually cared about defense.
They were great players, I would ofcourse take them back now. This idea that a Sedin captained team somehow putting people in their 'place', as opposed to someone like Bo, is just a myth.

Kes and burr repeatedly had to apologize for things they yelled/said, that would probably be made even worse in todays climate and improved rink mic's.

Edler was one of the teams biggest players, on the top lines. Spent years watching guys half his size attempt and succeed in injuring the twins. He never once did anything about it, not so much as a dirty look. He never stepped up for anybody, not even himself with a history of iffy hits. Even saints like Tanev and Raymond knew when to get involved.

Juice never did much either, and boy did he love to cough up the puck.

All of them had terrible reps for diving. EP and Hughes definitely have a tendency to make things look worse.. but nothing like that team. It's kept in check here.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
All of those complaints are pretty weak and easily mitigated by consistently strong work ethic and play. I find the Edler one especially silly. Some players just don't have the mentality to be tough-guys, regardless of their size, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that as long as they hold up their end of the bargain play-wise, personally. It's not like if Pettersson bulks up, I'm going to expect him to suddenly start fighting guys, otherwise I'd lose respect for him or something. That stuff has always struck me as primitive cave-man thinking, personally.

The only one legitimately comparable to Miller is Bieksa, IMO. I 100% rolled my eyes at every time he did something reckless/dumb while playing a lazy game and people went "At least somebody cares! What a fierce competitor/leader! Heart and soul guy!"

It was exactly the same thing. He was just prone to throwing an insecure hissy-fit more than anything. It's more pride/machismo/petulance than competitiveness.

Their mental fortitude actually seems very similar to me, now that it's been mentioned (far more-so than similarities between Kesler and Miller who only have a similar off-ice personality/demeanor-- Kesler being questionable on the ice because he "cares too much" is something that I actually buy). I suspect that they've both convinced themselves that they play their best when being very instinct-driven, taking a lot of low percentage chances, and accepting that they'll occasionally make really bad passes, as if it's just part of what needs to happen for them to be successful or something (as if they think their mojo will disappear if they tighten things up). Bieksa has basically said as much, while Miller is more speculation on my part.

Last edited:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Wasn't that the horsesh*t suspension as a result of a hit on that little puke Hertl?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad