Post-Game Talk: [GM36] Canucks lose to Flames | 2-3 | Dries & Pettersson

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
miller was dealt because tampa chose tyler johnson, alex killorn, yanni gourde and ondrej palat over him. not to mention point, kucherov and stamkos

despite his talent there was some reason they didn't want to keep him around immediately after signing him to a five year deal

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
miller was dealt because tampa chose tyler johnson, alex killorn, yanni gourde and ondrej palat over him. not to mention point, kucherov and stamkos

despite his talent there was some reason they didn't want to keep him around immediately after signing him to a five year deal
"For BriseBois, this trade did a number of things. First, it brought back two prime draft assets for a player that he did not sign to a long-term deal. Second, it cleared $5.5 million in cap space for a team that was nearing a crunch, without Tampa Bay needing to give up anything to do so.

Given the situation, BriseBois made a savvy move for the Lightning with this trade, as he maximized a valuable asset without having to pay a team to help him clear cap space. As we have seen since, these deals can be pricey to get off the books, especially when a contract is worth $5 million or more."

Miller then went on to become the point scoring leader of the Canucks in 2 out of the last 3 years.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Watching the highlights and it looks like the Canucks wasted a really good game from Martin.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops

I'm questioning Miller right now too, but this is a "nothing to see here" thing. Tampa just couldn't afford to keep everyone and he was the odd one out on a roster full of good players. Lesser players, like say a Yanni Courde, were kept because of their utility and lower cost.

Miller was simply a luxury for them. Not someone they needed to kick to the curb at all costs

Reactions: racerjoe

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
tampa could have easily moved killorn or gourde if they were just worried about cap space. they chose to keep those players over miller for a reason
But it isn't that simple. There were good reasons why Tampa chose Killorn and Gourde. It's not like all three of Killorn, Gourde and Miller were equal levels of expendable and Miller was the worst of them.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Big deal..He had ups and downs in his play (like a lot of players do), and was up and down the lineup (a stacked one at that)..This does not infer that he had behavioural problems in TB, with the players, and/or coach..and was moved out... (which is the narrative that you're pushing ).

The article you posted is not unflattering to Millers performance in TB..

Last season, Elias Pettersson had his minutes cut, and was demoted to the 3rd line by Boudreau...By your standards, that would make EP a locker room cancer.

There's plenty to complain about Millers play (which is fair game) without grossly embellishing /making stuff up.
Your interpretation of my post is your issue not mine.

I mentioned miller’s attitude and on ice effort. There were red flags in BOTH NY and Tampa as his inconsistent play and high risk costly mistakes resulted in him being both demoted down the lineup and being sat out.

The canucks ignored the red flags and traded for the lazy whiner. Not only did they trade for him, the signed him long term.

Look at where we are now. Stuck with a negative value boat anchor player and contract.

Tampa was finally able to win a cup once Miller was booted out of town.

I'm questioning Miller right now too, but this is a "nothing to see here" thing. Tampa just couldn't afford to keep everyone and he was the odd one out on a roster full of good players. Lesser players, like say a Yanni Courde, were kept because of their utility and lower cost.

Miller was simply a luxury for them. Not someone they needed to kick to the curb at all costs
You can not lose sight of the fact he was moved after being signed to a long term deal. They clearly saw things in his game that made him disposable. Smart decision

tampa could have easily moved killorn or gourde if they were just worried about cap space. they chose to keep those players over miller for a reason
Exactly

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
It is becoming abundantly obvious why both NY and Tampa dumped Miller

No other GM in the league is dumb enough to touch him now…unless JB gets hired somewhere

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

I mentioned miller’s attitude and on ice effort. There were red flags in BOTH NY and Tampa as his inconsistent play and high risk costly mistakes resulted in him being both demoted down the lineup and being sat out.

The canucks ignored the red flags and traded for the lazy whiner. Not only did they trade for him, the signed him long term.

Look at where we are now. Stuck with a negative value boat anchor player and contract.

Your narrative of Miller being moved out of TB because of behavior and poor play is purely based on your obvious bias against the player…not in fact…..and you still haven’t provided a lick of evidence to prove your point.

The Canucks traded for their point leader in 2 of the last three seasons..He’s an excellent hockey player if he wants to be..Obviously struggling with his form this season..

And again..as to whether he should have been signed is certainly up for debate.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Callahan: When he got traded to Tampa you could tell right away that there was a change in not only his mental approach to the game but his ability and confidence. He matured as a human, as an NHL player.

You could definitely see the contrast of his consistency, he was a lot more physical than the early days in New York and part of that goes along with the idea that you’re not getting points sometimes — there are other parts of the game that you have to be effective with.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Where is @M2Beezy ??? Or that guy that posts Simpsons memes?

I need some humor. This team is no longer funny...
Its just not the same with Other Jim in charge now...

1672626385340.png

Compared to...

ReliableCheerfulChrysomelid-size_restricted.gif

Its just no longer funny mocking PoM try to salvage Benning as a half decent former GM compared to when the bozo Benning was still in charge

But Gillis

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021

You can not lose sight of the fact he was moved after being signed to a long term deal. They clearly saw things in his game that made him disposable. Smart decision

Exactly
There is no way Tampa wanted him anyway. He was clearly included as a sweetener on the Rangers’ side, aka being rid of him lessened the return Tampa had to give NYR for McDonagh. Look at that trade and tell me otherwise.

Reactions: geebaan

credulous

Nov 18, 2021

gourde was signed to an extension just before miller was moved that paid him almost exactly what jt miller was paid. if anything the lightning moved miller so they could keep the 'lesser' yanni gourde

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Your narrative of Miller being moved out of TB because of behavior and poor play is purely based on your obvious bias against the player…not in fact…..and you still haven’t provided a lick of evidence to prove your point.

The Canucks traded for their point leader in 2 of the last three seasons..He’s an excellent hockey player if he wants to be..Obviously struggling with his form this season..

And again..as to whether he should have been signed is certainly up for debate

And again..as to whether he should have been signed is certainly up for debate.
My “bias” is well earned by Miller. Even at his “best” he is a defensive nightmare and he still had egregious brain farts due to low hockey iq. All of that was tolerated and frankly ignored as he was putting up points.

Now with his whole 11 5v5 points he is exposed. Nothing to cover up all his personality and playing shortcomings.

I call it like if is. I think the world of Boeser as an individual but he is not a top 6 nhl 2 way player. Calling it like it us.

Bo needs to go as well. Terrible defensively and can’t stickhandle to save his life. He is a terrible forechecker.

Myers, OEL have to go

Reactions: geebaan

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Between Miller, Boeser, Myers and OEL, by next season the Canucks will be shelling out close to $28 million to carry these contracts forward like albatrosses.

Based on current play and production, are there four worse contracts in the entire league? Is it any wonder the Canucks were where they are in the standings year after year? They've built their own tomb brick by brick.

Reactions: Grantham

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad