GDT: [GM30] Canucks vs Panthers | Thur. Dec 14th, 7pm | SNP | Lou Ring of Honour Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Actually surprised so many posters here dislike Luongo & blame him for the Finals loss in 2011.

The team was up 2-0 and utterly collapsed. Couldn't put a goal past Tim Thomas and got pushed around in Boston. Do we even get to the SCF without Luongo? Probably not

Hard to blame him for 2011. Vancouver only scored in Game 6 when the Bruins let up.

We were completely spent.
Kesler was playing on 1 leg. We were a 1 line team after he went down.
Lost our defacto #1 defenseman (Hamhuis). Ehrhoff was playing injured.
Edler broke his fingers and Raymond broke his fingers in Game 6.
Samuelsson was gone. Malhotra was not functional.
Our winger depth was atrocious

Some teams are destined to win. We were destined to lose that series solely due to the injuries sustained during that playoff run.

Now, there was a period between January 2008 to that 2010 2nd round series where Luongo would sporadic Cloutier-esque performances. His 2009 second round series performances were rather horrific, particularly in Game 2 and 6 where he just collapsed and couldn't make a save.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
vividly remember how invested i was in watching that final - i don't recall ever 'worrying about goaltending'...

i do remember watching guys clearly hurt missing/flubbing/failing to get to spots etc... that they normally did/didn't
I worried about goaltending. Lou wasn’t good enough imo as the series went on and especially in the last 2 games. But the biggest issues were for sure a lack of offense and injuries. Lou got scapegoated by some but imo he was only one out of a bunch of players who didn’t play very well.
I always liked him and am glad he’s being honoured as he was great here for a number of years.

Reactions: quat and andora

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Game 7
TT 37 save shutout
RL 17 saves on 20 shots...

Something weird happened in that 2011 series. I think it started with Hamhuis' injury in game 1 and was made worse by the debacle that was the Rome hit and suspension in game 3. They won the first two games (barely) but went 1 and 4 over the next 5 games with a goal differential of -17! Think about that, a goal differential of -17 over 5 games in a Stanley cup final! wow

They were defeated after the first two games evn though they were up 2-0. By game 7 they didn't have the physical or mental stamina to win. That goes for the whole team, not just Luongo.

I'm not a big fan of Luongo but it wasn't even close to being just about him. It was clearly a team that was defeated.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Game 7
TT 37 save shutout

Something weird happened in that 2011 series. I think it started with Hamhuis' injury in game 1 and was made worse by the debacle that was the Rome hit and suspension in game 3. They won the first two games (barely) but went 1 and 4 over the next 5 games with a goal differential of -17! Think about that, a goal differential of -17 over 5 games in a Stanley cup final! wow

They were defeated after the first two games evn though they were up 2-0. By game 7 they didn't have the physical or mental stamina to win. That goes for the whole team, not just Luongo.

I'm not a big fan of Luongo but it wasn't even close to being just about him. It was clearly a team that was defeated.
Yeah I was at that Game 7 and it never really felt like we had a chance. A defeated team at that point.

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
Game 7
TT 37 save shutout

It certainly wasn’t Luongo’s fault but…

The point of having a HHOF generational goalie was for that 50+ save performance when it matters most. I certainly saw Luongo take over games in the past. It was really disappointing he couldn’t do that when it mattered most. Thomas outplayed him that series but we should have won the goaltending battle.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
with luongo, i wanna take a show of hands of everyone here who has kids. does everyone understand how you go from 2007 luongo to 2009 and later luongo? ie, going from embarking on one of the greatest peaks of all time to still excellent but more like a solid top 5 in the league peak? my kid was born four years after 2011 and almost immediately i was like, yeah i get how he lost his edge now.

re: jersey retirements, i think of it like this:

the sedins, the only true no brainers. they had the career numbers, henrik was a longtime captain, the awards, the team success.

then going in chronological order,

smyl. when he retired, he was the team’s all time leader in games, goals, assists, and points and the team had been around for twenty years. he’d been the captain for the better part of a decade. he was the co-leading scorer of their cinderella finals run. he embodied hard work, grit, determination, and was a very important member of the community. sure it looks bad now, but at the time it was absolutely justifiable.

linden, i can’t say it any better than this:

I mean, excellence is a huge part of it. But there are exceptions for guys who find other ways to leave a huge legacy and have a massive connection with the city and fans.

1. Again, Linden’s off-ice/charity contributions were on a different level from anyone else in the history of the franchise and set a standard and culture, and that’s a huge legacy.

2. This team was drawing 9000 fans in the mid-80s and were behind the BC Lions in popularity, and three people were mostly behind the titanic chance in franchise profile in this market by 1994 : Pat Quinn, Trevor Linden, and Pavel Bure. And again, that legacy is enormous.

Linden is also the best playoff performer in franchise history by a fair margin.

bure, it wouldn’t be for pavel bure the person or citizen, but for the absolute rush and thrill of what at the time was an unprecedented two and a bit years, from the spring of 1992 to the end of the 94 playoffs. like when bure at the end of his rookie year started to score a goal every game and we actually finally had a real honest to god superstar, you had to be there to understand what that meant to this fanbase and city. and then he actually wins a trophy, then he comes back and actually scores 50 goals, hits 100 pts, finishes the year with 60, then repeats those numbers the year after, then takes us to the finals. the is-this-real-life aspect is hard to overstate. our highest goal scorer had been tony tanti, our highest pts total in a single season was patrik sundstrom.

so for those three jersey retirements, smyl, linden, bure, not no brainers, but they do tell us what jersey retirements are for. if you didn’t live it, this is important canucks history for those who care to learn it.

which brings us to naslund. every other inductee represents taking the franchise to a new level, on top of raising the bar individually.

* smyl and the ’82 run, linden was the most successful prospect coming in that we ever had, runner up for the calder, the captained the team from second last to winning the smythe two years in a row.

* and don’t forget, in the fall of 1991, when the canucks first established themselves as an elite team, that team was 10-4-1 before bure’s first game, third in the league, first in the campbell’s conference. the day before bure’s first game, linden was 6th in scoring, in a massive six-way tie with mario, messier, oates, roenick, and macinnis. fwiw, ronning was one pt ahead, tied for 3rd. but at the halfway mark, dec 31, linden was 9th in scoring, tied with oates. the nearest canuck was ronning, six pts behind, in 18th. the canucks were tied with detroit for 4th in the league and first in the campbell’s conference, with a game in hand. all to say, even though mclean was playing out of his mind vezina hockey, linden was very much in the hart trophy discussion through the first half of that season and his “emergence” at the time (which in retrospect turned out to be a hot streak) was synonymous with the team’s.

* and then of course linden's playoff heroics also raised the bar. he left vancouver the first time a game seven stat line of 5 games, 4 goals, 4 assists, 8 pts, +5. 80 playoff pts in 79 games up to his last playoffs pre-messier signing, 16th in the league from ’89 to ’96.

* bure, i don’t have to get into.

so this is where i think naslund is the only true mistake. did he raise the bar for individual accomplishments? actually yes. bure had finished 3rd in pts, but in a pitiful way during the 1998 season. nobody had really contended for the art ross or hart like naslund had before, but of course he came up small in the last game of the season to lose the hart/ross and also the rocket. then he came up small in the playoffs.

but even that aside, to me, the reason naslund was a mistake is that while he didn’t raise the team to any new heights, the real substance of why it was a mistake is we had already seen by the time his jersey was retired newer heights individually. before naslund even left vancouver, we’d seen luongo finish a much more convincing second for the hart (naslund got almost no first place votes), and by the time his jersey went up in the winter of 2010, we’d already seen henrik’s heroic final game performance to take the hart/ross. unless you want to make the argument that you had to be there in the early 2000s to really feel the significance of the WCE — which i just really disagree with — or if if you think every era needs to be memorialized, then i just don’t see a reason for naslund. december 11, 2010, naslund’s jersey goes up: he’s the all time leading scorer, but henrik is only 151 pts behind. we all knew his “accomplishments” were already basically obsolete.

and so, luongo. i really don’t see a reason to induct him based on all this. yes, the 2007 season was absolutely unprecedented, in the way that now having hughes is completely unprecedented. but that was one year, and the rest of his tenure was basically markus naslund with more team success. he was better than naslund, both peak and overall, but not enough to move the needle imo.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

The point of having a HHOF generational goalie was for that 50+ save performance when it matters most. I certainly saw Luongo take over games in the past. It was really disappointing he couldn’t do that when it mattered most. Thomas outplayed him that series but we should have won the goaltending battle.
There's no doubt he was defeated but so was the rest of the team. I don't disagree with you that goalies steal games and the better the goalie the more games they steal. But, conversely, when a goalie isn't playing well, it's up to the team to step up and win the game for him. It's just more obvious with goaltenders because they are the only ones at the position.
Bottom line is each member of the team has a responsibility to carry other members when they don't have their A games. That's why it's called a team.

Reactions: Canucker

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley

I agree 100%.

I've said for many years that if we had Kirk McLean in goal from 2009 to 2012 we could have multiple Stanley Cups by now. It's like after his series against Dallas and Turco, he began blowing big games. Yes, he had good games during the playoffs, but not necessarily good games when we faced elimination. Maybe game 7 against the Hawks in 2011 is an exception. I don't recall how well he played that game. And how many playoff games did he let in 7? The guy was known as 7uongo. As a Canucks fan that was embarrassing.

Great guy, great regular season goalie, but not a money goalie in the playoffs.

Reactions: Nomobo

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
There's no doubt he was defeated but so was the rest of the team. I don't disagree with you that goalies steal games and the better the goalie the more games they steal. But, conversely, when a goalie isn't playing well, it's up to the team to step up and win the game for him. It's just more obvious with goaltenders because they are the only ones at the position.
Bottom line is each member of the team has a responsibility to carry other members when they don't have their A games. That's why it's called a team.
Honestly, not to re-litigate 2011 again...but there are plenty of targets for finger pointing in that series, the Sedins, Luongo, refs, Colin Campbell, injuries...as you said, its a team...win as a team, lose as a team....it sucks and its still a sore point, but we lost as a team.

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
Hard to blame him for 2011. Vancouver only scored in Game 6 when the Bruins let up.

We were completely spent.
Kesler was playing on 1 leg. We were a 1 line team after he went down.
Lost our defacto #1 defenseman (Hamhuis). Ehrhoff was playing injured.
Edler broke his fingers and Raymond broke his fingers in Game 6.
Samuelsson was gone. Malhotra was not functional.
Our winger depth was atrocious

Some teams are destined to win. We were destined to lose that series solely due to the injuries sustained during that playoff run.

Now, there was a period between January 2008 to that 2010 2nd round series where Luongo would sporadic Cloutier-esque performances. His 2009 second round series performances were rather horrific, particularly in Game 2 and 6 where he just collapsed and couldn't make a save.
His yelling at the ref moment against Anaheim is seared in my mind forever. That team had potential and he just blew it

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
His yelling at the ref moment against Anaheim is seared in my mind forever. That team had potential and he just blew it

It was pretty bad a huge mental lapse at the time, but that team had zero business being in the 2nd round. Our top 6 wingers that round was Pyatt, Naslund who really was on the decline, Jeff Cowan and Jan freaking Bulis. That team was comically bad and had zero reason to even be in the playoffs, let alone winning a series.

Luongo was superhuman that year and while his stats don't reflect it as being his best season, the eye test really showed how vital he was to being the backbone of the team. That team probably finishes bottom 5 in the league with anyone else in net.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I was never really a huge Luongo fan and the finals made me resent him. I still honestly believe that his finals performance particularly game 6 and 7 were the worst I’ve ever seen from a goalie in the playoffs— let alone a cup clinching game. We lost both games by mid 1st period because he didn’t come prepared to play. The team was deflated, played with no confidence because he wasn’t able to provide that stability. His tendency to crack under pressure during big games really casts a dark cloud in an otherwise HHOF-ish career.
Absolute L take, go straight to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200

If Canucks score 5 goals in game 7 and we win 5-4....Luongo wins the Conn Smythe, easily.

It's easy to want to blame one exact person for failure. It's the same as people wanting to blame Hamhuis for trying to hip check Lucic, or wanting to blame Thomas for his illegal equipment, or Colin Campbell for his unjustifiable conflict of interest that resulted in disgraceful officiating....at the end of it all, we lost as a team, it wasn't one guys fault, certainly not the guy who literally won two games in the Finals singlehandedly by allowing zero goals

Last edited:
Reactions: andora and Flik
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad