GDT: [GM30] Canucks vs Panthers | Thur. Dec 14th, 7pm | SNP | Lou Ring of Honour Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Montour has been hot garbage this season and is looking like a one hit wonder. Ekblad… mid as ever.
Didnt he just come back from injury and miss training camp after helping them get to a Stanley Cup final? Seems a little harsh
Luongo not being likable is a new one...
All the memories I have of his teammates are about how beloved he was in the locker room. Bieksa has made such comments on HNIC. He was the first goaltender to ever be named captain in the NHL - that honor doesn't happen if you're not a well liked guy. The fact that the captaincy turned to be a failure isn't relevant to the point.

Luongo is a HoF goalie. There simply wasn't a more dominant goaltender over a 10 year span. It was him and Lundqvist. Dominating over such a period of time for a goaltender is an incredible feat. His season in 06-07 where he was snubbed the Vezina was one of the most remarkable performances a Canuck player has ever had - player or goalie. His accomplishments have him in a different stratosphere than Kirk McLean. Not Luongo's fault our organization has inducted too many players in to the ring of honor or a jersey retirement.

To me it's a lot of fans that can't get over his mediocre performances in our 2011 cup run. Luongo never really separated himself in those playoffs to be a Conn Smythe contender and our fans soured on him in the playoffs. Now he's in the same pedigree as McLean which is a joke.

Aaaaaanyways 3 in a row a win against the Panthers would be enormous!

Admittingly im not a Luongo guy so i'm going to take issue with some of this....

They made him captain to try and get him further invested into the team and city not because he was an elite character guy that stood above. He wasn't the first ever either (6 had this honor previously) but no goalie since '48 had been so it was a unique situation. The fact that it was a failure was absolutely relevant and tied to some pretty bad post game interviews and stand offish ("i made the first 3 saves") comments that eroded the arrangement.

No argument he was a HOF goalie and 06/07 was goaltending we had never seen before here.

Some of the lustre came off in 07/08 though when he stunk down the stretch enough to miss the playoffs and get home to his pregnant wife and it was obvious in more than a couple games he wasn't as invested in the team as much as getting back to Miami and Gina. Family first absolutely but there was a pattern with Luongo that often made fans like me come away feeling he was a prima donna and needed to be stroked.

It's not about him vs McLean on ice as both are in the ring and Luongo was better but Luongo was and is a Panther first and foremost. The sense of elite entitlement amongst the very best goalies when he had so many flat and pouty performances "not pumping my tires" in big moments with this lingering desire he never really wanted to be here outside of 2009 to when Schneider came in against LA in 2012 and the "trade me" threats surfaced which lead to "my contract sucks" and "your gonna want to hear this" after Tortz disrespected him made for some soap opera drama that just followed him around.

I dont think the Canuck logo ever meant that much to him vs his own personal accomplishments but he was a funny guy and well liked by his teammates especially as they had success and then as he matured and became humbled. Strombone and some of those Duthie TSN bits were hilarious. He's absolutely worthy of the ROH and should be celebrated im just not a huge fan nor think he was as great a leader and character as they are saying now that he is about to be celebrated.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Didnt he just come back from injury and miss training camp after helping them get to a Stanley Cup final? Seems a little harsh

Admittingly im not a Luongo guy so i'm going to take issue with some of this....

They made him captain to try and get him further invested into the team and city not because he was an elite character guy that stood above. He wasn't the first ever either (6 had this honor previously) but no goalie since '48 had been so it was a unique situation. The fact that it was a failure was absolutely relevant and tied to some pretty bad post game interviews and stand offish ("i made the first 3 saves") comments that eroded the arrangement.

No argument he was a HOF goalie and 06/07 was goaltending we had never seen before here.

Some of the lustre came off in 07/08 though when he stunk down the stretch enough to miss the playoffs and get home to his pregnant wife and it was obvious in more than a couple games he wasn't as invested in the team as much as getting back to Miami and Gina. Family first absolutely but there was a pattern with Luongo that often made fans like me come away feeling he was a prima donna and needed to be stroked.

It's not about him vs McLean on ice as both are in the ring and Luongo was better but Luongo was and is a Panther first and foremost. The sense of elite entitlement amongst the very best goalies when he had so many flat and pouty performances "not pumping my tires" in big moments with this lingering desire he never really wanted to be here outside of 2009 to when Schneider came in against LA in 2012 and the "trade me" threats surfaced which lead to "my contract sucks" and "your gonna want to hear this" after Tortz disrespected him made for some soap opera drama that just followed him around.

I dont think the Canuck logo ever meant that much to him vs his own personal accomplishments but he was a funny guy and well liked by his teammates especially as they had success and then as he matured and became humbled. Strombone and some of those Duthie TSN bits were hilarious. He's absolutely worthy of the ROH and should be celebrated im just not a huge fan nor think he was as great a leader and character as they are saying now that he is about to be celebrated.
Ring of honor (his individual accomplishment can't be denied) no question.

I think at one time he was a decent leader (him willing to share the spotlight with an up & coming prospect like Schneider - re: Jennings trophy for example) at one time but he never seemed 'at home' in Vancouver. His boss was telling him to return to Florida. Torts just gave him a handy excuse.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
vividly remember how invested i was in watching that final - i don't recall ever 'worrying about goaltending'...

i do remember watching guys clearly hurt missing/flubbing/failing to get to spots etc... that they normally did/didn't

The biggest mistake AV did was put Luongo in game 6. I know he had a shutout in game 5 but he got rocked bad by the Boston crowd in games 3 and 4, Schneider would’ve gotten a different look.

Schneider gave up 1 goal in relief, so deflating.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
The biggest mistake AV did was put Luongo in game 6. I know he had a shutout in game 5 but he got rocked bad by the Boston crowd in games 3 and 4, Schneider would’ve gotten a different look.

That would have been balls

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006

No coach would've taken Luo out for game 6 after game 5

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
He was awful in Boston. But Lou also had two shutouts in the Final. It's probably a sweep without Lou, or 4-1 at best.

The headline of that series should have been averaging 1.14 goals per game. How can you stand critiquing his performance (as a whole, game 6 is completely on him) when your team is basically telling you "hey, we're going to scoring 1 goal. Can you please try and shut them out so we can win?" The argument is completely absurd. And I went through each f***ing goal that summer...all 21 of them probably 3 or 4 times to the point where I heard Zombie Nation in my dreams. The defense is so f***ing poor in front of him as well. It's really hard to lay anything at his feet...outside of game 6.

The thing that stands out for me is how outwardly hated he was by national media and our own fans. This is easily the best goaltender the city of Vancouver has seen, he's coming off of single-handedly netting us a division title in '07 and a series win. Probably the best single season of hockey any one player has turned in for the Canucks outside of anyone named Pavel. Hell, even with Pavel. This is 2 years later, and listen to the fans absolutely skewer the guy like he's Cloutier in every. single. call.:

So the word I think of when I think of Luongo in Vancouver would be, underappreciated. And yes, I believe if his relationship with the market had been more rosier, there would have been no "my contract sucks". But that's definitely a two-way path. As much as I will defend him, he gave us remarkable years as Canucks fans, it always felt like he had his luggage packed ready to go and RoH is 100% appropriate.

As far as this fan is considered, there was a definite feel of culture change in what I dub the AV/Sedin/Luongo-era. And Luongo's 06-07 campaign kickstarted the best years of this organization to date.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Is this confirmed? I've heard Jim Robson vehemntly say this didn't happen.

He held out in fall of '98 only. You might be thinking of when rumours were planted during '94 in the finals apparently Bure was going to "hold out". Which pissed Bure off. God rest him, Wetcoaster had a f***in' dissertation on this saga ready to go.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
The headline of that series should have been averaging 1.14 goals per game. How can you stand critiquing his performance (as a whole, game 6 is completely on him) when your team is basically telling you "hey, we're going to scoring 1 goal. Can you please try and shut them out so we can win?" The argument is completely absurd. And I went through each f***ing goal that summer...all 21 of them probably 3 or 4 times to the point where I heard Zombie Nation in my dreams. The defense is so f***ing poor in front of him as well. It's really hard to lay anything at his feet...outside of game 6.

The thing that stands out for me is how outwardly hated he was by national media and our own fans. This is easily the best goaltender the city of Vancouver has seen, he's coming off of single-handedly netting us a division title in '07 and a series win. Probably the best single season of hockey any one player has turned in for the Canucks outside of anyone named Pavel. Hell, even with Pavel. This is 2 years later, and listen to the fans absolutely skewer the guy like he's Cloutier in every. single. call.:

So the word I think of when I think of Luongo in Vancouver would be, underappreciated. And yes, I believe if his relationship with the market had been more rosier, there would have been no "my contract sucks". But that's definitely a two-way path. As much as I will defend him, he gave us remarkable years as Canucks fans, it always felt like he had his luggage packed ready to go and RoH is 100% appropriate.

As far as this fan is considered, there was a definite feel of culture change in what I dub the AV/Sedin/Luongo-era. And Luongo's 06-07 campaign kickstarted the best years of this organization to date.

I wasn’t upset with Luongo in 2008-2009, that Chicago series could’ve went either way but unfortunately it ushered Patrick Kane to the national spotlight and you have to remember, this was the early years of social media so memes and shit about Luongo were starting to come out.

7uongo memes appeared from that fan in Calgary at the start of the 2009-2010 season. The Olympics were amazing and Luongo was in net, however that season he was starting to wear down and get tired thus he was starting to get scored more way more.

The Chicago series round 2 was probably as bad as it got, he was getting no help from the team in front of him and he was severely over worked in net.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Luongo was obviously a great goalie, and any criticism I have of him is through the lens of being a first ballot HOFer, and the expectations that come with that.

Luongo was an integral part of getting to GM7, no doubt. We had Schneider on the bench, so can't say for certain we wouldn't have got there without Luongo, but that doesn't take away from what Strombone1 did during that run.

The big issue I have with Lu's performance, and I believe most will agree, is that with the Cup in the building Luongo was the second best goalie on the ice. In both games, Thomas played much better. If Luongo had played as well or better than Thomas and we just didn't have the healthy bodies to pull the wagon across the line, then it is what it is.

But that's not what happened. Luongo was badly outplayed by his counterpart in both games 6 and 7. And for that, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to forgive him.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
While I think losing Hamhuis and Rome from injury and suspension ultimately killed us in the finals. I think other fingers can be pointed before entirely blaming Luongo. Henrik Sedin had 1 point in the finals and was a -7. Daniel led the team in points with 4 but was a -5. Kes has 1 assist and was -6. The Canucks and their stars weren't scoring. Tim Thomas was nearly unbeatable. Luongo got lit up like a Christmas tree in a couple of games yes, but he also played spectacular in the other games, while getting no support offensively. Disappointing results all across the board. I blame Colin Campbell who was in charge of the player safety, who coincidentally had his son playing for Boston. Giving Rome a 4 game suspension "longest in the history of the playoffs" for a hit that Scott Steven's made famous... f***off.

Anyways

Roberto Luongo will be celebrated by this Canuck fan tonight. I will look forward to be seeing his picture forever in the rafters. Lu is easily the best Canuck goaltender in franchise history and his accomplishments should be celebrated by the city and its fans. Luongo taken a Canucks team led by Jan Bulis to the second round of the playoffs, a team that wouldn't of even been in the playoffs if it wasn't for Lu. Let alone the second round. We had our highs and lows, but I remain to look forward and think highly of this franchise goaltender rather than focus on the negative. I will be smiling bigtime tonight and look forward to the stories and memories that former Canucks will be sharing of him.

That being said, I hope we plaster the Panthers tonight.

Go Canucks

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Luongo was obviously a great goalie, and any criticism I have of him is through the lens of being a first ballot HOFer, and the expectations that come with that.

Luongo was an integral part of getting to GM7, no doubt. We had Schneider on the bench, so can't say for certain we wouldn't have got there without Luongo, but that doesn't take away from what Strombone1 did during that run.

The big issue I have with Lu's performance, and I believe most will agree, is that with the Cup in the building Luongo was the second best goalie on the ice. In both games, Thomas played much better. If Luongo had played as well or better than Thomas and we just didn't have the healthy bodies to pull the wagon across the line, then it is what it is.

But that's not what happened. Luongo was badly outplayed by his counterpart in both games 6 and 7. And for that, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to forgive him.

I mean you could also argue Luongo outplayed Thomas in games 1, 2 and 5.

I do think that Luongo might actually be the most polarizing player in Canucks history. Second would be… Bertuzzi?

Last edited:

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I mean you could also argue Luongo outplayed Thomas in games 1, 2 and 5.

I do think that Luongo might actually be the most polarizing player in Canucks history. Second would be… Bertuzzi?

Luongo was miles ahead better in the postseason than Bertuzzi, who was ass water on skates.

Reactions: Hit the post

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Actually surprised so many posters here dislike Luongo & blame him for the Finals loss in 2011.

The team was up 2-0 and utterly collapsed. Couldn't put a goal past Tim Thomas and got pushed around in Boston. Do we even get to the SCF without Luongo? Probably not

I blamed Luongo for game 6 because of what happened in the first 5 minutes of the game.

Game 7 I block that out of my mind. Never again.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Big measuring stick game tonight. Almost as big as the Vegas game.

As for the Luongo posters, we cannot deny the fact that for almost all of the really big games the Canucks played he played at best average. And yes although he was not the only reason we lost in 2011SCF, he was a big reason we did, especially in pivotal games 6 and 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad