Post-Game Talk: [GM30] Canucks defeated Panthers | 4-0 (Kuzmenko, Joshua(2), & Boeser) | Tribute to Luuuuuu!

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
I remember seeing a practice a few days after the current coaches came on board last winter. It looked like a pee wee practice - start, stop, start - emphasizing positions for basic defensive play. It looked embarassing at the time, but the coaches needed to break it down to simple steps.

This is what has really impressed me. It's great for Allvin and his group to get the players they want, but it will just be wasted without effective coaching. I don't expect perfection. But I love to see potential encouraged, and mistakes minimized.

Another Empty Netter

Jan 14, 2011
I remember seeing a practice a few days after the current coaches came on board last winter. It looked like a pee wee practice - start, stop, start - emphasizing positions for basic defensive play. It looked embarassing at the time, but the coaches needed to break it down to simple steps.

This is what has really impressed me. It's great for Allvin and his group to get the players they want, but it will just be wasted without effective coaching. I don't expect perfection. But I love to see potential encouraged, and mistakes minimized.
I feel like this team of coaches will remember this Canucks roster for a long time given how the D was so erratic when they arrived

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Game for Demko and the foot soldiers. If you said to someone who had never seen the team before that the top guns were #40 and #43, they'd think you were kidding. Team was simply carried by the lower lines and Demko.

Good

Demko - again outstanding - game, in terms of chances, was not that uneven. But we got Demko stoning them and they got "Goalie Bob" making a beauty pass to Joshua.

Garland - never understood the fever to move this player. Probably the best skater in the game - stats aren't everything but nice +3 on the game. If anyone epitomizes the Canuck hustle this season its Garland andf you have to be rooting hard for him to start getting some goals.

Joshua - nice to get some scoring but what was better was the pk work. Finding a real niche on this team.

Blueger - sensational on pk and just an overall smart and effective game. Was our best center in this game. Pettersson should watch how he he keeps himself in the play and controls the middle of the ice.

Myers - Zadorov - this is the second player that Myers has team up to form a good NHL defensive pairing. Really like the way Zadorov is providing room for Myers. At the moment, I'd say they are one of the more effective defensive duos in the League.

Hronek - had to carry Hughes in this game. He is a little like Lidstrom (not saying as good) in his ability to cover his own end almost on his own and his ability to play while seldomly using a cross over.

Cole - so smart. He is allowing Juulsen to get by (and often do more than that) b/c of his excellent positioning. Cole has bounced back after a tough stretch.

Kuzmenko - saw little of the old Kuzmenko on the first goal. Not always great at it but there was a lot more attempt to get the puck out of his end along the side boards and to maintain puck possession.

Not Good

Hughes - something is wrong here. He can't take the body around the net and had consistent problems getting the puck up to the forwards. Florida had by far their best chances with him on the ice and it was only the terrific play of Hronek and Demko that bailed him out.

Pettersson - at this point I don't think the problems are as much physical as they are mental. Trying to make plays that aren't there and getting himself hung up along the boards. Took a hit late b/c he tried to play puck near the boards when the obvious play was to quickly slap the puck behind the net (where his linemates waited) and then spin away from the check and then back diagonally across the ice. Plays like this are happening all the time. Overhandling the puck, telegraphing passes (especially on the PP) , not seeing the play quick enough. If he would just start using his team mates better, he would make life easier for himself. But it always seems there is the extra look or dangle. He is, for some reason, and I do think its mental, trying to look good and ending up doing the opposite. He would save himself a lot of grief and help his team better by looking to facilate and looking to find gaps in the defense and stop forcing plays.

Pettersson seems a very high strung person who seems more fighting himself than anything else.

Hoglander - back to too much stop and go hockey leaving him out of the play. Few times he got sucked to the side, chasing the puck or a hit, and the puck was easily passed around him leaving him out of the play. Thought I saw Tocchet getting on him after he he made the wide arc in the offensive zone after the puck was moving back into the Canuck end. Hoglander can provide something but he is still a project overall. In the end, I think having a coach like Tochett will make a better and more complete player. Miller line was not very noticeable in this game.

Others

DiGuiseppe - one of his better games after a long poor stretch. Skated better and was quicker on the forcheck. Line with Suter was good at getting some o-zone time and keeping the puck out of their end

Suter - plays smart and an upgrade on Aman.

Maybe seems hard to be getting on players when you are winning but you wonder how good this team could be, if they got everyone playing up to their ability.

ephmrl

5th overall.
Nov 26, 2011
Victoria, BC
Having smart people in the front office and the coaching staff has been a total revelation from our old front office's "living day-to-day" plan. Obviously, there are still things to nitpick and critique, but it's so nice being on board with the overall plan of the organization again, and trusting that they know what they're doing when they make a move.

I honestly took this for granted back in the Gillis years but being tortured as a fan for the past 10 seasons has really made me appreciate what we're building here.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Having smart people in the front office and the coaching staff has been a total revelation from our old front office's "living day-to-day" plan. Obviously, there are still things to nitpick and critique, but it's so nice being on board with the overall plan of the organization again, and trusting that they know what they're doing when they make a move.

I honestly took this for granted back in the Gillis years but being tortured as a fan for the past 10 seasons has really made me appreciate what we're building here.

100%

It's so nice to have a front office that's seeing the same team I am.

Reactions: ephmrl

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

How can you not listen and learn when you are being coached by Adam Foote, Sergei Gonchar and the Sedins twins?

Compare to our previous coaches, it's day and night

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

the best part is that when you discover an obvious problem with the team, you can confidentally say that it will be addressed by the front office eventually

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
During our losing skid, Jeff marek said not to panic. Canucks are a good team, these streaks happen

He’s honestly one of my favourite personalities on the SN team

Honestly you could tell our market not to panic at any point in time, and 80% it would make contextual sense.

But then I saw people panicking as early as October 2011 and just had to shake my head. 82 games is a lot of games and really good teams win maybe 50 of them. You’re still losing 32.

Reactions: Indiana

ephmrl

5th overall.
Nov 26, 2011
Victoria, BC
Honestly you could tell our market not to panic at any point in time, and 80% it would make contextual sense.

But then I saw people panicking as early as October 2011 and just had to shake my head. 82 games is a lot of games and really good teams win maybe 50 of them. You’re still losing 32.
Vividly remember there being trade Luongo threads on CDC back in October and November of the 10-11 season.

Reactions: Indiana

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
Ironically I feel like Luongo got a ton of shutouts in Florida but in Vancouver we always ruined his shutouts by letting 1 goal get by him in games where he should have gotten shutouts.
By “we” don’t you really mean “he”? If it is considered his shutout then he should be stopping every shot.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
That was really fun.

I didnt really see what other people did with Petterson. I think he looks like he is getting back to form. Obviously if he isnt playing with our 1st pairing they will have trouble moving the puck up the ice.

And he is playing with two pretty lack luster wingers so his creativity will be wasted most of the time.

I think Hughes just had a rough game. He was fighting the puck a bit and that resulted in some of the uncharacteristic mistakes. He is no longer playing like the best player in the league, but that should have been expected.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Exactly. With Suter coming of IR the Canucks have an open roster spot and a lot of cap space to run a full roster during the road trip. With a back-to-back this weekend, there's no reason not to have a full roster.

It's almost like management knows what it's doing....finally. It's so nice just to see small little things like this and think "hm yea good idea"

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
That was really fun.

I didnt really see what other people did with Petterson. I think he looks like he is getting back to form. Obviously if he isnt playing with our 1st pairing they will have trouble moving the puck up the ice.

And he is playing with two pretty lack luster wingers so his creativity will be wasted most of the time.

I think Hughes just had a rough game. He was fighting the puck a bit and that resulted in some of the uncharacteristic mistakes. He is no longer playing like the best player in the league, but that should have been expected.
Yea. If we could have Petterson in form creating space and finding Kuzmenko, that would be something good. Signs are there its not far away.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00