Post-Game Talk: [GM3] Canucks lose to Flyers | 0-2 | Ugly

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Myers in midseason form
Pettersson saw his 2nd star of the week and said, yeah im taking tonight off.
View attachment 754099
This is the most eye test confirming chart we have seen in a while (aside from Joshua I thought he was fine at best and I didn't mind Hoglander). Myers with a tragic game, one of the worst games I've seen from a canuck in... Idek. Petey was lazy as it gets, dragged down a bit by Myers, but refused to move his feet, watched plays, pouted and overall showed flashes of not caring which he has throughout his career which is his biggest flaw. He's much more similar to Miller than I think any of us care to admit. Passionate to a fault

Juulsen is a 10D and there is no excuse for him being in the lineup when we have better LD out there and Cole/Soucy can play their off side effectively

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
It looked to me like a team that traveled many miles and time zones, ate at the wrong time and played a game at their usual time of game day nap. Couldn't corral pucks, skating in sand, hands of cement. Lets hope that the Tampa game goes better.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
As I posted previously, whatever new medical/support staff the Canucks have acquired should have been looking into cannabis to address the stresses of their travel schedule.

Well, that and no bag skate the day before. Hopefully Tocchet will rise to the level of a peewee coach at some point.

And I have yet to see CM or PoM offer any criticism specific to Myers in this game.

Does it count as groupthink when there are only two in the group?

Wait, I know - couplethink

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
As I posted previously, whatever new medical/support staff the Canucks have acquired should have been looking into cannabis to address the stresses of their travel schedule.

Well, that and no bag skate the day before. Hopefully Tocchet will rise to the level of a peewee coach at some point.

And I have yet to see CM or PoM offer any criticism specific to Myers in this game.

There was a day off before the game, his hard practice had nothing to do with the performance in my opinion

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia

If my memory is loyal,St Louis is the only team that I can recall that does this:

Not a terrible idea

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
In one game, you saw why few experts are predicting the playoffs for this version of the Canucks.

The next game after a bad loss becomes crucial. A bounce-back in Tampa is almost a 'must'.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Well so far the goal tending has been FANNnnnTAAaastic!

Almost 100 shots against vs Edmonton and this game somewhere around 80+, stops, blocks and just missed the net.

Might have just been the start time but then that is looking for excuses.

There is no need to get excited, either way.

Don't worry, the Penquins are coming.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Beauviller is not a keeper. Small guy that gets knocked off the puck easily and does not compensate by putting up numbers

Reactions: Nucker101

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
the problem as i see it is that both the last management group and the new one are impatiently trying to fill roles with players who have never had success in top4 and top9.

Leaving out Pettersson Miller Boeser Kuzmenko Hughes and Hronek who have proven themselves to be able to produce pts or play those minutes effectively it's.....

last regime
OEL - had regressed to a 4/5 paid as a #1/2 and unable to defend as a shut down D
Myers - paid as a top2/3 unable to play as a top4 and now failing as a NHLer
Garland - paid as a top6 winger unable to gel as a top6 and not a special teams or role player who is now a open distraction in he has a foot out the door but a 3yr contract that sucks

new regime
Mikhayev - TO fanbase didnt see as a top6 getting signed as a top6.
Beauvillier - 3rd liner in NY paid 4+ million expecting different results here? Dont mind the player as he's fast and tenacious at least but how do you sign a UFA to be to a lesser deal to make his stay and acquisition worthwhile?
Cole - 4/5 being taxed with top4 and babysitting Myers? He probably was looking forward to playing with Hronek or Hughes and now he gets this assignment......good luck lol
Soucy - a decent gamble like Mikhayev but still never a top4 expecting positive top4 results. His contract is reasonable enough if he's a really good 4/5 that can play up and down or anchor a 3rd pair. Not saying i don't like the signing because i do but again were still missing a piece or 2 above him
Suter - sea of Granlunds expecting to be a 3C and get positive results. Still assessing this player but so far that's what he looks like. 2yrs is not ideal if he's unable to step up
Bear - see above
PDG - at 30 trying to be a consistent top6 contributor. I mean great for him and he's earned it but is it really sustainable or reasonable to expect it

So while at least the new regimes contracts are not a restriction on improving going forward the execution of finding players who can right the ship are still not enough to make the team a serious threat. Going to have to get bold if they are going to build something worthwhile while Miller and Demko are still top players

Last edited:

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Keep in mind, too, that this is the season where the cap hit on Ekman-Larsson's buyout is only 150k. Goes up to $2.3M next season, then $4.6M for the two following seasons. Nothing's going to get easier in terms of being able to fill holes in the roster.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Keep in mind, too, that this is the season where the cap hit on Ekman-Larsson's buyout is only 150k. Goes up to $2.3M next season, then $4.6M for the two following seasons. Nothing's going to get easier in terms of being able to fill holes in the roster.

Myers gone, beauvillier gone, cap going up.

They will definitely be able to improve the roster.

But sure, OEL's 2.3M next year cripples us indefinitely...

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Myers gone, beauvillier gone, cap going up.

They will definitely be able to improve the roster.

But sure, OEL's 2.3M next year cripples us indefinitely...
Pettersson and Hronek to re-sign next year, current AAV's only $7.3M and $4.4M. And the cap goes up for the other teams, too. But dream on...

Reactions: I am toxic

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Pettersson and Hronek to re-sign next year, current AAV's only $7.3M and $4.4M. And the cap goes up for the other teams, too. But dream on...

I contest the idea that OEL's buyout penalty cripples us, not that improving the roster will be difficult moving forward.

What do you mean 'dream on'?

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
As ugly as that was we only gave up two goals, one of which was on a questionable penalty shot, and had one of our own goals waved off. We got the result we deserved playing with as little effort as we did but this wasn't the blow out I expected it to be after the second goal.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I contest the idea that OEL's buyout penalty cripples us, not that improving the roster will be difficult moving forward.

What do you mean 'dream on'?
Would you care to point out where I said that it would "cripple us indefinitely?" The phrase used was "Nothing's going to get easier."

Further, it's not just the addition of the $2.2M on Ekman-Larsson's to which I referred, it's also the $2.4M tacked on top of that for the subsequent two seasons.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
There was a day off before the game, his hard practice had nothing to do with the performance in my opinion

correct-futurama.gif

Reactions: Canucks LB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad