Post-Game Talk: [GM3] Canucks lose to Flyers | 0-2 | Ugly

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Be mad at Myers or be mad at Benning for signing him.. but we might need to be mad at the management group who went into this season with him as a top4 guy. Or, at least question it.
If you think they had a better options available to them and still thought it was a great idea to go with Myers this season at 6M cap hit, no sweetners, retaining, buyout or any other negative attachment, then I don’t know what to say.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Ref gave one phantom penalty shot on an chance where he still had a clean shot on the break and Toronto gifts a goal back to Philly with zero basis

League helping a weak Philly franchise get a home opener win

Reactions: bbud

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow!...gave up on the third period....basically found more entertainment in the Raptors pre-season game. Dominated from start to finish by a team headed directly to the lottery.

A couple of random observations. You can understand why the Canucks are desperately trying to move Garland. A team simply can't afford three wingers the size of Hoglander, Beauvillier and Garland. They try, but you can't give away five inches and 25 pounds and expect to compete along the wall.

On the blueline, Myers reverted to his form of previous seasons and it started on the first shift of the game. Juulsen's next game should be in Abbotsford....and a tough opening game for Soucy.

Demko was the only reason this game wasn't 6-0. He could sue for non-support. An unbelievable goaltending effort totally wasted.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Back to Demko keeping the score respectable. Got totally out worked and out everythinged really.

Good

Demko - gillion defensive screwups left him out to dry. Made some incredible saves.

Lafferty - looks like a player. If his penalty was over should have been out there late in the game. Playing with a purpose.

Miller - his line the only line going consistently thru most of it. Thought he brought the team back into it after a brutal start.

Bad

Pettersson - shades of how he started a couple of years ago. You wonder if that flu is hanging on. Look lethargic and unable to get out of traffic. Sloppy on the PP as were most of the others. Even though he has some points, I don't think he has looked right all season. Good news is that if he keeps up this level of play, he will be easier to re-sign.

Kuzmenko - if he isn't scoring becomes pretty useless. As Pettersson goes, so goes Kuzmenko.

Myers - ugh. As an impending free agent, Myers might, you think, be a little more mindful about how he's playing. Another dreadful, penalty filled outing. Might be worse than Juulsen. Terrible start to the season.

Joshua - just too clumsy to contribute

Juulsen - not an NHL player.

Others

Soucy - ok for the most part. Like others he got tied up in his end by the Flyers forecheck but much of the problems lay with his partner and with some of the forwards

Hronek - played very well for large parts of the game but also made some nasty turnovers. However, wouldn't want to see this defense without him

Hughes - trying to do too much at times and slowing the play down too much. The more he pushed the less he got done.

Beauvillier -lot of hard skating leading to nothing. Doesn't seem suited to his current role on the team. Needs a good play making center to achieve much

As in a past years, the team is trying to integrate new players and experiencing the inevitable problems of players trying to sort out where they fit and how they play off others. Flyers forecheck and especially back check forced Canucks into poor decisions throughout the game and showed how the Canucks can still be broken down and forced into be turnovers.

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
If you think they had a better options available to them and still thought it was a great idea to go with Myers this season at 6M cap hit, no sweetners, retaining, buyout or any other negative attachment, then I don’t know what to say.

They've had cap space over the last two years, this is how they've chose to spend it. No excuses.

Hopefully they can get a RD in-season, and quickly

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
ugly game. like something happened off the ice ugly.

myers is unbelievable right now. it's like he is the lead character in a buster keaton movie.
Yeah you have to wonder if there's something to this. That was a shocking performance. Nobody expected that I don't think (even if there were signs of it in the last game).

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
They've had cap space over the last two years, this is how they've chose to spend it. No excuses.

Hopefully they can get a RD in-season, and quickly
I disagree. The money and term for Myers was already committed - not spent . The only way out is what I posted earlier.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah you have to wonder if there's something to this. That was a shocking performance. Nobody expected that I don't think (even if there were signs of it in the last game).

The last game wasn't like this. Guys were hustling, committing defensively. A good team with something to prove was pushing us back but there was effort and structure and most of the shots were from the perimeter, no odd-man rushes or point-blank chances.

This was just ... a total dud.

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Shocking? :biglaugh:

1k6n.gif

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Actually we don't have any players on this team from 10 years ago. The results may be similar but not the players.
He wouldn’t know.

He is puzzled when teams get outshot when they kill 4 x as many penalties..

Thant said though it was a shitty effort. Good to see all the haters out shaking their fists.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad