Post-Game Talk: [GM23] Canucks defeat Ducks | 3-1 (Boeserx2 & Pettersson) | Damn It, Myers

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Also don't like 9-40 being PK1. Rather have them later in the PK, and only one PK shift per 2 minutes. I'd prefer to see Blueger, Lafferty, Joshua and PDG do the heavy lifting 4v5.

i think it’s for the SHG threat that was incredible last year? but i agree, not worth it unless we’re pressing. it’s just diminishing returns at ES, and if those two PK sparingly then a few times a game when we do throw them out that’s a shock to the system of the opposing PP and more likely to turn into a prime SHG chance.

I wish Pettersson wouldn’t hit. He’s small, and the risks of injury far outweigh the benefits.

Like when Hamhuis hipchecked Lucic. Just wasn't worth it.

boeser’s late rookie season hit on clutterbuck... franchise altering. that said, petey has good technique when he hits, he just looks like he’s a bug hitting windshield because he’s so slight. but i don’t think he’s putting himself in any special danger, and is really only risking a fluke injury like hamhuis’. whereas rookie boeser had no idea how to hit effectively and more or less wrecked himself the way guys who should never have challenged rypien would walk into a pummelling.

Reactions: fedlibs

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Like when Hamhuis hipchecked Lucic. Just wasn't worth it.

As for the game, the Ducks seemed to hit a ton of posts. If one of those goes in it's a completely different game. Great third period from the team, especially once they got the lead, but far far from a perfect game.

It is interesting how other top teams are struggling of late though. Knights are 3-4-3 having now lost 3 in a row. Canucks are 5-5. Bruins have lost the last 3.
Kinda makes me feel better. The Canucks aren't the only ones not maintaining perfection. It's a long season with ups and downs and I have to keep reminding myself of that

Dana Murzyn

Oct 5, 2005
boeser’s late rookie season hit on clutterbuck... franchise altering. that said, petey has good technique when he hits, he just looks like he’s a bug hitting windshield because he’s so slight. but i don’t think he’s putting himself in any special danger, and is really only risking a fluke injury like hamhuis’. whereas rookie boeser had no idea how to hit effectively and more or less wrecked himself the way guys who should never have challenged rypien would walk into a pummelling.

I just don't see the upside. One of these days he's going to catch some idiot who takes a number. "Oh you're that kind of player, are you?"

He's one of the few guys out there with the speed, smarts, and status to pretty much avoid the hitting game altogether. He should make contact, of course. Separate guys from pucks. But look for hits? Why bother?

Reactions: I am toxic

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I just don't see the upside. One of these days he's going to catch some idiot who takes a number. "Oh you're that kind of player, are you?"

He's one of the few guys out there with the speed, smarts, and status to pretty much avoid the hitting game altogether. He should make contact, of course. Separate guys from pucks. But look for hits? Why bother?

i guess i see it both ways

he was a target his rookie year (remember mackenzie weegar, among several other incidents?) because he was perceived as this little soft guy

is he more or less at risk of someone going after him as a guy who hits as a matter of due course? tbh, i don’t know that it makes a difference

but his hitting does legitimately affect the breakout, and the double threat of petey hitting you or picking off your pass is a useful weapon. that battle with makar in the colorado game—he didn’t win it, but he also hemmed colorado in their own zone for an entire extended shift. i don’t necessarily disagree that he shouldn’t minimize the toll on his body, but i don’t think it’s accurate to say there isn’t a tangible upside to him hitting too.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Garland’s skating agility, quickness & pivots are great. Looked like prime patty Kane drawing that late 3rd period penalty. Made life difficult for the opposing D-men with his relentless effort, solid game from Garland.

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
The Myers hate amuses me; guy had an assist and was a +2 but he's still Satan because...
During the Benning years when I was just back to watching hockey (it was hard for the first decade I was in Australia) I thought Myers was getting a rough ride. He has good offensive skills and great reach.....BUT......he just keeps making mistakes. If we were paying him $3M and playing him 10 min per night he might be worth it. I just hope someone takes him at the trade deadline for a playoff run. His contract runs out this year I believe.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.

I think he said in the postgame presser that he just enjoys laying guys out lol

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
its probably a good sign that Petey's strength is back. I saw in the interview he said that Tochet basically told him to go with his gut instead of stopping to think. I think that's bad advice because that is Petey's game. He's one of the rare players that cause the game to slow down around him. I've only seen that to be a problem once when he had 10s left in the game and we were down.

But it was effective tonight obviously. He wasn't aware the goalie was distracted by his own overagressiveness.

1701307447757.jpeg

Ice. That was the secret management figured out in the third.

Feb 20, 2013
A random aside:
Was anyone else as confused as I was to find that PDG was serving a penalty for hooking Garland late in the third?
1701314701132.jpeg

Di Giuseppe:
1701314594711.jpeg

Groulx
1701314209552.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes