Post-Game Talk: [GM21] Canucks defeat Kraken | 5-1 (Blueger, Joshua, Lafferty, Hoglander, & Mikheyev) | Return of Aman

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
One of the more complete games of the season. Great to see the bottom end contributing like they did. Overcoming the PPs in the first was important and lot credit has to go goaltending there. One advantage I think we do enjoy over the Kraken is in the nets.

Good

Hughes - before the draft in which he was taken, Hughes was described as one man defensive zone exit player and that is exactly what he has become. Uncanny the way he can elude the forecheck and create space for himself where there is seemingly none. His play in his own end has improved so much that it has become, among the various other high end things he does, a strength.

Joshua - nice to see him bury one. The chances have been there and would be great if this goal a can allow him to gain a little more confidence around the net. Strong game especially on the PK

Blueger - best game by far. Skating has improved over the last few games and he was obviously important in the win.

Myers - got to watch his stick in traffic. However, played snarly game around the net and got some the traffic out of Demko's way. This season, he is so much better than most of last season. Maybe the system but his zone exits have been greatly improved.

Garland - might have been the first star. Set up people all game and probably the best winger in terms of getting the puck consistently up ice. Plays like a rover and just goes to puck where ever it is. Certainly not a systems player but he can be a disruptive force. Forced Seattle into bad plays throughout the game.

Demko - huge during the first and overall was a difference maker.

Hronek - even when not at his absolute best, he is still such an important player for this team. Don't think he has bad game all season.

Others

Boeser - played a better game and was helpful in the offensive zone. However, has to start hitting that shot from the slot. Team worked hard to get the puck to him directly in front of the net but Boeser could find the corners and often not even the net. Getting chances which is good but just not converting

Juulsen - is reducing the number of bad shifts and mostly staying out of trouble. Important that he has upped his minutes since it gave Hronek and Hughes a little less ice time.

Aman - looked tentative through the early going and wasn't as good as I expected him to be after watching him in Abbotsford. However, by the third was sorting things out and he helped his line be effective. (2 assists and + 3 on the game) Do feel this player can help this team. But I didn't think he was third star, yet it was not a bad start.

Hoglander - some of his hitting showed how sturdy he is and his goal showed off his offensive upside. There are glitzes in his game but they were less evident tonight. There is talent here and there is, at present, growth in his game. You just hope he can cross the line to consistency in his puck movement and team defense.

Schedule remains brutal and you wonder how much they will have left for tomorrow's game. They'll need to get the same kind of effort out of the lower lines that they did tonight. Maybe if Kuzmenko gets back in (after a deserved benching) he'll have enough juice to get to the net and do something.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Tocchet was asked about this recently and really took no credit for it. Says the guys watching in the booth make the calls and he just goes along with it.
Yea it seems to be a very similar situation as the challenge calls in MLB. The guys behind the scenes are making the actual calls, Tocchet is just the guy relaying the info to the refs.

Reactions: Vector

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Have to echo what everyone else is saying: so nice to see the depth win us this game, given just how insane our top end talent has been and how they've been the biggest factor in our start. Hoglander has 7 goals. Lafferty has 5. And even the guys whose stat sheets aren't sparkling, they seem to just be fitting in and playing their roles well (Garland, Suter before the injury). Joshua you take the good with the bad because of the dynamic he adds to the group. They don't have any other bulls. As a whole, the bottom 6 has been effective, goals and otherwise. The advanced metrics bear that out too.

Also good to see Demko have a good game. I'd like to see him in the Vezina race this year and the team likely needs that anyway. 10 wins, 2.18 GAA and .925 Save% for him now.

Lastly, and I said this earlier, that was a pleasantly surprising result after those "same old Canucks" showed up in the first half of the 2nd period when the shots were 9-0 Seattle and 18-8 overall to that point. I looked at the shot clock near the end of the game and was shocked that Seattle had only 24. It was looking like another one of those games where they allow a ton of shots and chances but they really clamped it down in the 3rd and the end result was a really strong game overall defensively. Demko had to be good when needed but didn't actually have to make too many saves.

Maybe I'm the only one but not really looking forward to the game against San Jose tomorrow. Yeah, games like that always have the potential to be a blast for fans of the good team but I find myself only interested in the matchups with good teams. I want to see how this team stacks up, not if they can score 6+ against quite possibly one of the worst teams in history.

Either way they need to bank the points for when the schedule does get tough so hopefully they take care of business once more tomorrow.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Complete team effort, turned it up a notch in the 3rd! Demko was great early in the 2nd. Garland & Hoglander are offensively driving the 3rd & 4th lines, nice to see them Press hard while protecting a lead, bottom 6 were exceptional! Hughes & Hronek were great again. Boeser & Miller are so hard to handle down low, both were solid, Pettersson played smart effective hockey. Even though the big guns didn’t rack up points, they played the right way and were good. Solid team effort by everyone.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm starting to like the idea of possibly keeping Joshua and Garland together on the same line long term. Two very bizarre players whose effectiveness sometimes seems to defy reason, and often just does not work well with other players, but I think they kind of bizarrely fit together nicely.

Blueger being someone who isn't going to do much offensively anyways outside of on broken plays might round them out nicely too.

Then as mentioned, I can imagine a Hoglander - Aman - Lafferty line possibly being a great fit with a promising identity as well.

Then you have to decide between Mikheyev, Beauvillier, and Di Giseppe on the top 6.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I'm starting to like the idea of possibly keeping Joshua and Garland together on the same line long term. Two very bizarre players whose effectiveness sometimes seems to defy reason, and often just does not work well with other players, but I think they kind of bizarrely fit together nicely.

Blueger being someone who isn't going to do much offensively anyways outside of on broken plays might round them out nicely too.

Then as mentioned, I can imagine a Hoglander - Aman - Lafferty line possibly being a great fit with a promising identity as well.

Then you have to decide between Mikheyev, Beauvillier, and Di Giseppe on the top 6.
Yeah it's like a buddy cop movie and I actually kind of love it.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Yeah it's like a buddy cop movie and I actually kind of love it.

rush-hour.jpg

Or...

lethal-weapon2.jpg

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
So…does this keep Kuzmenko out of the lineup for the next game?

Not sure who they'd take out given the bottom 6 was our driving force.

Certainly not taking Lafferty/Blueger/Garland/Joshua out
Not taking Aman out after he has 2 assists
Or Hoglander after that goal + hit
Only option is Beauvillier who has been playing better & has been more reliable than Kuz

I think Kuz will remain on the outside looking in for now but well see.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
depth guys won the game for vancouver tonight. miller was hurt tonight also. blocked a shot with his body then his foot. hoglander no pp time but made most of it scoring a goal. i'd sit pdg for kuzy, hes done absolutey nothing in terms of production.

Reactions: geebster

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018

Only option is Beauvillier who has been playing better & has been more reliable than Kuz

You forgot Di Giuseppe, he’ll be the odd man out as everyone you mentioned played very well

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
Agree with PDG watching from upstairs. He's been fading and really doesn't bring much now that teams are in shape. I think Beau remains cuz he at least brings speed to the lineup. His speed is noticeable in pressuring the play.

Nice surprise that Boeser is able to win some battles on the boards this year. He really needs to get his shot dialed in though. How many grade A chances can a guy miss every game - and not by a little bit, miles wide. Hit the net at least Brock.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Just got back from hockey. Glad to see they won, even happier to see a lot of the supporting cast stepped up.

Bullshit, Beauvillier is dead weight. He has speed...then he peels off and doesn't actually forecheck.

The very fact they sat Kuz instead of this bum is a huge injustice. He's not producing either, and he isn't that good defensively.

They should really just sit Beau but since they're apparently delusional people they should at least alternate those two.

Mikheyev probably needs to sit for a bit. I don't think he's in shape. PDG has also fallen off, not sure exactly why because he usually plays a simple game.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Kuz sat cause he competely lost his guy on the 3-2 goal in Colorado. Thats who Rick was talking about post game when he said 'we gave them a free goal'. Kuz wasn't focused on where he was supposed to be & the Dman had a free lane to walk in and shoot because of it.

Trying to get the KHL habits out of his game still. He hasn't been the most productive but if he's not making these kind of costly mistakes he'll stay in, like Beauvillier has.

I'm not saying Kuz is good defensively, or that wasn't his fault, but I could point out a dozen plays every game where someone loses his guy resulting in a chance against or what would be a chance against if not defended by a teammate.

Kuz is an easy target to scratch, so is Hog, so is Joshua, etc. I'm actually a fan of Tocchet and pretty much everything he's done/said so far but my point stands re: hasn't made a tough decision yet when it comes to scratches.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Kuz took an angle that allowed a routine point shot. Nothing play.

Kuz is far down the list of guys who should be sat, but if it gets him going alla Hoglander then all is well.

He did just take a puck to the face, every bit of contact has gotta sting.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Mikheyev probably needs to sit for a bit. I don't think he's in shape. PDG has also fallen off, not sure exactly why because he usually plays a simple game.

Perhaps PDG is a guy that needs to be used sparingly so he plays with his battery @ 100%.

It looks like it's physically painful for him to skate sometimes with how sluggish his stride is.

We have enough guys to rotate in & out and create energy, especially when Suter is back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad