Post-Game Talk: [GM21] Canucks defeat Kraken | 5-1 (Blueger, Joshua, Lafferty, Hoglander, & Mikheyev) | Return of Aman

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Bitch, whine & praise the players all ya want but what 99.9 % of you don't realize is that was a masterclass of coaching tonight.

We all know Demco is good but the in game adjustments the staff made for us to pop 5 from the bottom 6 and get Demco the win is what wins championships!

Damn, you can bend this team into a pretzel but we just don't break and that's all on management & this coaching staff...just brilliant. We broke Edmonton now lets break the rest of the league.

Feb 19, 2018
I'm starting to like the idea of possibly keeping Joshua and Garland together on the same line long term. Two very bizarre players whose effectiveness sometimes seems to defy reason, and often just does not work well with other players, but I think they kind of bizarrely fit together nicely.

Blueger being someone who isn't going to do much offensively anyways outside of on broken plays might round them out nicely too.

Then as mentioned, I can imagine a Hoglander - Aman - Lafferty line possibly being a great fit with a promising identity as well.

Then you have to decide between Mikheyev, Beauvillier, and Di Giseppe on the top 6.
Funny how they fought in training camp and might have a little beef with one another.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I'm starting to like the idea of possibly keeping Joshua and Garland together on the same line long term. Two very bizarre players whose effectiveness sometimes seems to defy reason, and often just does not work well with other players, but I think they kind of bizarrely fit together nicely.

Blueger being someone who isn't going to do much offensively anyways outside of on broken plays might round them out nicely too.

Then as mentioned, I can imagine a Hoglander - Aman - Lafferty line possibly being a great fit with a promising identity as well.

Then you have to decide between Mikheyev, Beauvillier, and Di Giseppe on the top 6.

I think Garland likes a big body that goes to the net like Joshua so he can do his spins and then throw a puck into the slot. Joshua playing a heavy game below the hashmarks complements Garland.

Suter has more offensive upside than Blueger and is responsible defensively so I'd slot him back into that center spot when he's ready.

That pushes Blueger back to the 4th line which is probably where he belongs, realistically. However that would unfortunately push Aman out of the lineup. Although when you consider injuries and slumps and whatnot, I imagine the bottom-6 will be a like a revolving door of players for the remainder of the season.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
So…does this keep Kuzmenko out of the lineup for the next game?

Hope not.

It's easy to keep him out after this game where the bottom-6 carried the offense but that isn't going to happen on most nights.

I know Kuz is hit & miss but without him, there are only 3 skill players in the top-6 and with Boeser being a hit & miss guy himself and Pettersson slumping, the lack of skill in the top-6 was pretty evident and not something that is conducive to long-term success.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Going to the game tomorrow and thinking about making a sign for the first time. Any ideas?

make a copy of this

1700923445449.png

(should post this in the GDT thread)
I was trying so hard to go too, but I can't get anyone to go with me

I think this sweater is one of those Chinese knockoffs where they won't let you in the building

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think people are underrating how bad that Kuzmenko play was that got him scratched. It was really, really bad at a really important time of the game.

Fire rolling with the same lineup another night.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
That Hoglander hit was beautiful. That's karma coming back around on Tanev for what should have been a boarding major when he injured Brisebois in the preseason- who has missed the entire season thus far. Skates half way across the rink and hits him hard in the numbers, good job refs.

and wow, that was a next-level highstick by Myers: a double minor and highsticked Miller at the same time. Incredible.

Reactions: arttk

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Defense was fantastic from Demko's theft and robbery to Miller's blocking three shots. I hope this means Miller's in the lineup tonight because he was easily our best player after Demmer. He did everything but score. Eight minutes of 20 shorthanded and we got the only goal - shorthanded!

The Krayken came out hard in the second but we withstood it. That needed to be in the first for them. What an enemic power play - we clearly scouted it. Our PK was amazing.

Petey did look good for what he played but the goalies are expecting that slapper from him. He's getting the shot away so he's dangerous, but he's slow. Kuz will be in today. He was being rested following the injury. We're back to back. You watch Miller get fewer minutes tonight - he may even be day to day after those blocked shots. Petey might get more minutes though we won't him too.

The Sedinery is getting eye opening. All these plays from Petey on down are giving me Deja Vu.

Boes shot is like a gunshot but he's been aiming for the logo.

Cole was suckage for most the night, worst offsene throwing it up the slot. Would have been an assist if Demko wasn't being Demko.

Seattle fans been whining about this
Myers is so big he gets in the way of himself and is noticeable as his 4 minutes in the box showed.

But it's plays like above that we have him. Bjorkstad was whining all the way to the bench screaming at the official. Hey Seattle, a "high" hit is not a hit to the head. Myers is just big, big, big and he plays like it too. Where was your 6'7" guy all night?

Juuls probably had his best game.

The thing about our top guys playing hurt or exhausted, they still compete and they're still dangerous. Opposition doesn't know they're as tired as they are and so they have to keep their top checking on them and though it makes them look bad, this gives the bottom line room to breathe and contribute. Depth! This is something the Oilers don't have.

Tocchet is playing 3d chess with these kids - if 3d chess is threatening to bench players and giving Abbotsford a taste of the big leagues - so guys like Hogs and Joshua are motivated by that.

Reactions: alternate

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I may be in the minority but I really liked Boeser’s game. He’s hustling and working hard on the boards and in the defensive zone. Goal scorers are streaky unless it’s prime Ovechkin so the scoring will come. He’s still near the top of the league in scoring. As long as he’s getting open for good looks he’ll start putting them in again.

Feb 20, 2013
So…does this keep Kuzmenko out of the lineup for the next game?
Didn't think I would say this 2 weeks ago, but I would take PDG out for him.

The Canucks have some good forward depth now. Really looking forward to Suter's return, but Aman was effective last night, and Podkolzin was playing really well in Abby before his injury.

It does make sense to move a depth forward for a depth defenseman at some point.

Reactions: DeltaSwede

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Not a huge fan of the bending but not breaking for very large portions of the game. Better than breaking but I’d like to see less of it, However, I’m a huge fan of how they shut down teams in the third when they have a lead. 12-0-0 I believe when entering the third with a lead.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
It’s prolly past the point of talking about the game but man is Seattle ever predictable, their offense wasn’t overly dynamic, they use the same blue line pick to create space for the guy carrying the puck ( effectively mind you ) their defense just clog the front of the net and their powerplay is shoot the puck from the point every time

I don’t see this team more than a wild card team who might get the third spot if Edmonton or Calgary aren’t where they need to be
I would love to have them in a playoff series

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
While I'd love to get some help on D, it's also great having all the forward depth especially when injuries strike or when guys aren't playing well you can sit them or move them down the line up with no fear of not having someone there to fill in. Wish we had more depth on D though. I'd say Beau is the odd man out but he certainly doesn't hurt the team either and works hard.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Start of the game and in the third we looked great.

End of the first and start of the second we looked pathetic, other than Demko and the PK. Not sure what to read into those polar swings in this game.

With that said, this was a big win. Nice to see the bottom 6 chipping in when the big guns were out of powder. We are one of the highest scoring teams in the league, so the bottom 6 firing blanks hasn't been hurting us; great to see them come through when needed makes this W extra sweet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad