Post-Game Talk: [GM19] Canucks defeat Sharks | 3-1 (Hughes, Lafferty, & Miller) | Shark Livers Are Tasty

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
5 minute match for a slew foot is bizarre. Where did that come from? The Adam Johnson incident? I don't recall any injury ever coming from it. Its not like high sticking, spearing, kneeing, boarding, or slashing the wrist, though I concede it's usually worse than your typical trip. Hogs should be back, no suspension. It wasn't that vicious, it was just part of the back and forth scrum in from of the bench - worth two at the most. but the zebras did compensate the Canucks for it with another penalty (they clearly had no choice to but to call it to set the precedent).

Canucks did not look good out of the gate - at least in their own end. Their offense looked scary but Blackwood was sharp. He kept them in it.

Thought the game was about to go downhill for the home team on that first goal. Was livid when I saw the goaltender interference and Randy Hahn and Drew Remenda kept talking like it was a good goal. In their defense, when they saw the leagues angle on the Sharks people agreed the challenge was correct. When I settled down I realize the call could have gone either way - you could argue he was skating through after his shot but in a challenge any official won't buy that was an accident - he had to make a visible effort to get out of the way for that to count.

Strange that Laff gets the bench after scoring that incredible shorty. Sucked all three guys to him in the corner then got out of the way to receive the pass. After that I knew the Sharks were done.

Thought it was odd the Sharks playing 5 mean deep in the front of the net in the third. There was no challenge of possession and they just gave the Canucks all sorts of room.

Miller was on fire. Easily our best player. EP40 can't seem to stand up even though his brilliant ability to stop time just by having the puck on his stick is still there. There's something wrong with his leg. Plus, as always, he's getting double and even triple teamed like he's the next Henrik. This gives the Miller and Boeser lines more room to score.

---

Book on the Canucks seems to be to crash the net - create problems out front. As well, teams are once again going deep on the forecheck to look for the cross ice pass. Canucks who were once compensating with incredble backchecking stealing pucks from in from of yawning nets are having an increasingly hard time doing so - probably due to injurines and lack of depth.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Still can't get over how amazing a skater Hughes is. On his goal, he just essentially took 1 stride from the blueline and glide to the bottom of the faceoff circle, and the defender was falling all over himself trying to keep up. Of course that snipe, what a shot. This is his 5th season, and I still can't believe what I'm seeing.

That Petterson line needs to step up next game against the Avs though. We can get away without them contributing against the lowly Sharks, but the Avs are miles better.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Still can't get over how amazing a skater Hughes is. On his goal, he just essentially took 1 stride from the blueline and glide to the bottom of the faceoff circle, and the defender was falling all over himself trying to keep up. Of course that snipe, what a shot. This is his 5th season, and I still can't believe what I'm seeing.

That Petterson line needs to step up next game against the Avs though. We can get away without them contributing against the lowly Sharks, but the Avs are miles better.

It didn't result in anything but there's one time, and it happens a lot but I'll point out this one time, where he's crossing over along the boards in the offensive zone and is moving fast and more flood side-to-side than almost anyone going in a straight line. Just mind blowing.

Reactions: sandwichbird2023

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Man i hope this one of those 10 goal affairs.. These teams tend to get a little loosey goosey when playing each other...

How about another 5 point night 40? That would be nice.

Reactions: I am toxic

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Just rest him a few games to let him recover from whatever injury he has. Petterson is not playing well for more a few games already.

Reactions: LuckyDay

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad