Post-Game Talk: [GM18] Canucks lose 4-3 to the Kracken

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Juulsen isn't an NHL player, I know Friedman's game has tailed off a bit but I don't recall him being this bad every time out.

Maybe they are sitting him b/c they believe he has more to give & are to try sending a message... that's the best explanation I can come up with for playing Juulsen.

Maybe someone disagrees & thinks Juulsen has been better, either way Bear can't get here soon enough. And we also need to be planting a seed with Tanev's agent for July 1.

Reactions: calnuck

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The 'elephant in the room' for the Canucks is that they're trying to get by with two AHL d-men and lacking another top-six forward.

Playing Juulsen and Hirose in sheltered minutes, means somebody else has to take up the slack with more minutes. And if it's Tyler Myers, we all know that when his minutes go up, his performance goes down.

And Phil Di Giuseppe is hard working journeyman player. But if he's a member of your top six, then you're in trouble. Time to move Hoglander up the lineup, since they don't really have anyone else.

So the Canucks desperately need another scoring winger and a legit NHL d-man. Otherwise their early season spurt could slowly erode away.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
A few mistakes from Juulsen and Myers, and a high stick goal that was called good. There are things to learn from this, mostly get opposing players away from the crease, limit Myers and find an improvement over Juulsen. Oh, and score more then the other guys.

Miller and Hughes look mostly all right. Demko didn't let anything egregious in. Seattle definitely outworked the Canucks. Pettersson is probably hurt, Kuzmenko is definitely worse then he is letting on, and Mikheyev doesn't have the push to carry a top six line by himself. The bottom six was mostly alright, but seemed to get more then its share of ice time 5 on 5.

I'm not thrilled with this game, but what ever, I hope Tocchet can make sure it's a blip due to fatigue or whatever.

The 'elephant in the room' for the Canucks is that they're trying to get by with two AHL d-men and lacking another top-six forward.

Playing Juulsen and Hirose in sheltered minutes, means somebody else has to take up the slack with more minutes. And if it's Tyler Myers, we all know that when his minutes go up, his performance goes down.

And Phil Di Giuseppe is hard working journeyman player. But if he's a member of your top six, then you're in trouble. Time to move Hoglander up the lineup, since they don't really have anyone else.

So the Canucks desperately need another scoring winger and a legit NHL d-man. Otherwise their early season spurt could slowly erode away.
Bear and Kessel are imminent. Inevitable even.

Reactions: theguardianII

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
lots of perimeter shots. guys not battling enough. give credit to seattle they played a sound defensive game. petey is gotta be hurting. i agree let hronek let those bomb shots go instead of hughes. lost of soucy for 6-8 weeks is really hurting. juulssen should be sent to abbotsford. need to find another nhl dman via trade.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Kuzmenko looked so much more prolific last season, a legitimate danger with a great shot. Has Tocchets style really hindered him that much?
Kuze was stapled to a Pettersson playing out of his mind last season. Now that Pettersson is no longer performing at that level, Kuze doesn't look as good. He functions as a complementary piece, and when the engine on his line isn't firing, neither is he

Reactions: Kryten

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
“They were hungrier on pucks and that's really the game."..Rick Tocchet.

That’s not going to sit well with the coach..He gave them a bit of mulligan for being tired last game..but it’s time to snap out of the doldrums.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
The problem with Myers has and will remain that he needs a babysitter. Putting him and Juulsen together is among the dumbest things Tocchet could do. Much as I've loved his coaching, I'm getting a little concerned just how much leeway Juulsen is getting. Granted, he played better tonight than the last couple games (especially Calgary) but he's still bad.

Losing Soucy really hurts though. So I can't entirely fault Tocchet. Cole has been horrendous the last few games too.

If it hasn't become abundantly apparent to management already, we need defensive depth. Losing Soucy shouldn't cause our system to break down the way it has.

Edit: Getting a little worried with Kuzmenko. Injury aside, he's been something of a passenger all season. Nowhere near the impact player from last year. I almost wonder if they should try juggling both top six lines. I know Miller's line has been stellar but we really need to get Kuz going.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
I'd like to see them mix up the forward lines a bit but each line is really a pair with another skater.

Petey - Mik
Mills - Boeser

And the rest have had injuries so they haven't had a chance to gel. Who other than Kuz would you even try on the Petey line? Garland and Beuv haven't gotten the job done. Move Boeser up and disrupt a line with 2 of the top goal scorers in the NHL?

Until this team gets healthy and gets some rest, this is what we are going to get.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I'd like to see them mix up the forward lines a bit but each line is really a pair with another skater.

Petey - Mik
Mills - Boeser

And the rest have had injuries so they haven't had a chance to gel. Who other than Kuz would you even try on the Petey line? Garland and Beuv haven't gotten the job done. Move Boeser up and disrupt a line with 2 of the top goal scorers in the NHL?

Until this team gets healthy and gets some rest, this is what we are going to get.
Kuz Miller Boeser
Mik Petey Lafferty
PDG Aman/Suter Hoglander
Joshua Blueger Garland

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Credit where it's due to Allvin/JR getting the roster to where it is right now, but the lack of organization depth over the years really is showing. No way a team trying to make some noise can survive having guys like Juulsen and Hirose out there after just one injury to the blueline. With Soucy out for the foreseeable future what we got tonight is what we'll have to manage with unless the front office makes a substantial move which I'm not sure they can without breaking some eggs. Kind of doomy after two losses in a row, maybe, but obviously Miller/Petey/Hughes weren't going to finish the season at the top 3 scoring spots and the team can't survive a season by sheltering half the blueline.

Reactions: Indiana

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Kuzmenko looked so much more prolific last season, a legitimate danger with a great shot. Has Tocchets style really hindered him that much?
I personally wouldn't have signed Kuzmenko and still would like to trade him.

He seems like a downhill player to me scores when the team is going well but when it isn't his game disappears.

We had a hot start and 3 Canucks are leading the NHL in scoring but reality will set in and we will probably make the playoffs but aside from the hot start we are probably a bubble team really.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Think it's time to move up Hoglander or Beauvillier to the Pettersson line. Mikhayev with Boeser and Miller to give them a helping hand and put Di Guiseppe in the btm 6.

Little surprised that Jet Woo who had been out playing Juulsen late last year and has a good start to the season is not getting a look. Even McWard who is obviously needing some time to adapt to pro hockey was better than Juulsen in pre season and that has spilled over unfortunately. Foot speed has become a massive issue for Noah Juulsen as he doesn't move the puck quick enough like Schenn did to justify the role. Soucy was really coming on really unfortunate that he got hurt when he did.

I personally wouldn't have signed Kuzmenko and still would like to trade him.

He seems like a downhill player to me scores when the team is going well but when it isn't his game disappears.

We had a hot start and 3 Canucks are leading the NHL in scoring but reality will set in and we will probably make the playoffs but aside from the hot start we are probably a bubble team really.
huh?

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
They were inevitably not going to have the puck luck through the season they've had to date. Combine that with a real lack of depth on the blue line and some forwards putting in sub-par efforts and this is the outcome. You can't always have the bounces go in your direction, and in many games, the margin for error for this team will be small.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Think it's time to move up Hoglander or Beauvillier to the Pettersson line. Mikhayev with Boeser and Miller to give them a helping hand and put Di Guiseppe in the btm 6.

Little surprised that Jet Woo who had been out playing Juulsen late last year and has a good start to the season is not getting a look. Even McWard who is obviously needing some time to adapt to pro hockey was better than Juulsen in pre season and that has spilled over unfortunately. Foot speed has become a massive issue for Noah Juulsen as he doesn't move the puck quick enough like Schenn did to justify the role. Soucy was really coming on really unfortunate that he got hurt when he did.

I would have traded him at is highest value maybe a sign and trade last season as it would have created a spot for your first point in your post above.

Like I said up thread he does well when the team is going well but basically disappears when it isn't, just not my type of player.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad