Post-Game Talk: [GM10] Canucks defeated Sharks | 10-1 (Everyone) | Avoided the Trap

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I was at that game. It was f*€&ing glorious.

Chased Vernon out of the net and their coach resigned the next day hahaha.

I still bask in the afterglow to this day.

Side note: that year was similar to how this season is shaping up. Coming on fire after sucking *hard* the season before.

I remember I finished a minor hockey game out in Surrey, and we were listening on the radio on our way back to Point Grey. I was upset because it was already 4-0 and I felt like I’d missed all the goals.

Narrator: He hadn’t missed all the goals.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I find it interesting that Tocchet really likes Suter. He gets a lot of ice time even when not scoring. 4th highest total TOI among forwards. #1 in forward TOI today by over 2 minutes and 2nd highest on the team.
We were up 8-0 with a period left, no point to play Petey and Miller that much. Hell I think at the middle of the 2nd they were playing less already.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Still can’t believe that game happened. Wow.

Hope SJ PR gets in touch with that kid and gives him swag and tickets to a better game. Yikes.

Nice to see this team come out hard with some killer instinct. Now hopefully they don’t get too high on themselves before facing Dallas tomorrow.

Those tickets are going to have to be at least 3 years from now if its going to be a better game :laugh:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Tocchet for Jack Adams
Hughes for Norris
Petey for Hart
Miller for Selke
Demko for Vezina

Also Soucy with the 2 nicest assists tonight

And wow does Zadina look bad - so weak on his skates, no compete. How did this guy go ahead of Hughes :help:

Hughes is more likely to win the Hart than anyone else.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I feel like maybe the trap right now is the canucks record and goal differential when you look at the quality of competition so far. Haven't really had too many top teams outside of Colorado and NYR (0-1-1). Edm was supposed to be good but are struggling, Nashville is a mid level team.

Definitely think the canucks are playing 1,000's of times better this year, but it will be good to see them get wins against top teams and play like they did tonight.
It's funny though, if we lose those 2 games against Nashville, suddenly they're a "winning team", if we lose those 2 games against Edmonton, suddenly they're a .500 team. We're literally the reason our own schedule looks soft so far. It's early enough where I don't think we know who the actual good teams are yet, ourselves included.

We're probably not going to beat Dallas by 9 goals, but if we play like we did vs NYR we have a great chance of coming out on top.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
It'a really awesome to see the team playing this way but damn I was getting second hand embarrassment for the Sharks. Like they are baaaaaad. I saw Burroughs marching out on their pp and as much as I liked the player that's a pretty telling sign of how thin their roster is. We watched a buzzing NHL team compete against a pretty good AHL squad and that's the result.

Shame on the people that think challenging the goal by SJ was in any way a priority. That's truly a sign of arrogance and selfishness. What a terrible look that would be to delay the game further to call back a meaningless goal. We want the game to end and to march out of the building. Guaranteed all of our players have been on the other end of that result they know the feeling.

Wow 7-2-1 and looking poised. This feeling is incredible.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It wasn't just the 10-goals, it was total and complete territorial domination. Canucks could easily have had another 10. The Sharks hardly spent any time in the Canucks end; and couldn't complete a pass through the neutral zone.

Losing 10-1 on home ice in a half-full building, it doesn't get much worse than that. I don't see how the Sharks team even reaches 20 wins on the season.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Just watched the game and It felt like watching a video game where one guy was experienced and the other was just a little kid. Just complete annihilation.

Now, keep in mind Kuzy didn't do it on purpose, but...

Your comparison reminds me of the summer of 2011, NHL gave a preview of their game, you could play as either Boston or Vancouver in a one-off game. I played it like 100 times, made sure to beat Boston like 10 or 12 nothing and every single chance I got I ran Thomas after the whistle and trucked him.

E: Also another lil story in case you care, I find it funny: I suck at vidya games, so I had a friend I used to beat 7 or 8 to 1, then he got better and started dominating me even though we were even in shots. One time, my goalie did the spread eagle to cover but the whistle didn't blow. I'm fairly wise to how this usually goes, so I didn't want to touch the puck so we were in limbo for like 5 minutes with my friend goading me into touching it. I finally gave in when I got my player behind the goalie somehow, if I poked it forward, surely it would go forward. Well, it didn't because f*** me. My buddy is laughing hilariously so I just shut my Xbox off. I have not bought a gaming console since. My buddy texted me: "You mad?" and yes, yes I was.

Last edited:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Nothing like a First quarter CFL score. Too bad the canucks let them get a rouge. (Mossey...there will be other shutouts).

I look at Natural Stat trick and while the third looks like what I'd expect a third to look like with one team up by 8 there is no way through 2 periods the Sharks truly had an expected GF the same as the canucks at EV.

Anyways...they destroyed two bad teams (Blues + Sharks). They put the boots to them. And while you wouldn't expect them to score 15 goals in two games like that again it was that they in my best cliched voice "followed the process". That's my takeaway. When they do that they have a very good chance of winning. They just need to avoid having the bad games like 3 or 4 have been this year.

Reactions: mossey3535

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Now, keep in mind Kuzy didn't do it on purpose, but...

Your comparison reminds me of the summer of 2011, NHL gave a preview of their game, you could play as either Boston or Vancouver in a one-off game. I played it like 100 times, made sure to beat Boston like 10 or 12 nothing and every single chance I got I ran Thomas after the whistle and trucked him.

E: Also another lil story in case you care, I find it funny: I suck at vidya games, so I had a friend I used to beat 7 or 8 to 1, then he got better and started dominating me even though we were even in shots. One time, my goalie did the spread eagle to cover but the whistle didn't blow. I'm fairly wise to how this usually goes, so I didn't want to touch the puck so we were in limbo for like 5 minutes with my friend goading me into touching it. I finally gave in when I got my player behind the goalie somehow, if I poked it forward, surely it would go forward. Well, it didn't because f*** me. My buddy is laughing hilariously so I just shut my Xbox off. I have not bought a gaming console since. My buddy texted me: "You mad?" and yes, yes I was.
Sounds like an ea game to me.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I remember I finished a minor hockey game out in Surrey, and we were listening on the radio on our way back to Point Grey. I was upset because it was already 4-0 and I felt like I’d missed all the goals.

my similar memory to that is game 5 of the 94 finals

we were at field hockey practice and as we were nearing the end and the next teams were arriving for their game the dads were yelling out the score as they were coming and going for dropoff/pickup.

it went so quickly from, hey we scored it’s 2-0 now to 3-0 (for you younguns, this was in the third period—we carried a 1-0 lead into the second intermission) to oops jk it’s 3-3 now. remember this was a potential elimination game and us falling apart felt so inevitable.

my mom and i had to stop by subway on the way home to pickup a quick dinner and i was like, come on hurry up hurry up it’s ok to skip a meal i wanna see the end of the game. but by the time we’d arrived they had the game on in the background and it was 6-3.

bonkers.

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I was at that game. It was f*€&ing glorious.

Chased Vernon out of the net and their coach resigned the next day hahaha.

I still bask in the afterglow to this day.

Side note: that year was similar to how this season is shaping up. Coming on fire after sucking *hard* the season before.

. When they do that they have a very good chance of winning. They just need to avoid having the bad games like 3 or 4 have been this year.

@tantalum - I honestly feel like we've played 2 truly bad games this year. The rest have been passable to good. Marked improvement on last year.

@overboard - One wonders if last year's team nearly had a plane collision as well. Funny enough, I checked the box on it. That team had prolific and good scorers - Ronning, Bure, Linden, Larionov, Nedved, Fergus...the leading scorer that game? Sergio Momesso.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
@tantalum - I honestly feel like we've played 2 truly bad games this year. The rest have been passable to good. Marked improvement on last year.

@overboard - One wonders if last year's team nearly had a plane collision as well. Funny enough, I checked the box on it. That team had prolific and good scorers - Ronning, Bure, Linden, Larionov, Nedved, Fergus...the leading scorer that game? Sergio Momesso.
True enough. A couple straight up bad games and then a couple more with bad 30 minutes would be more accurate. Amazing how quick the bar gets raised when talking about good or bad game when a team plays with some proper coaching and structure.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I'm mentioned this before on here but I forgot that that game was an afternoon game and then arrived for my pee-wee hockey game later that evening and it was all everyone was talking about that we beat the Flames 11-0. I was almost in tears because I missed it - there was maybe 5 games in the entire 91-94 stretch that I didn't watch or listen to on radio, and that was one of them. And I hated the Flames so much.

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
True enough. A couple straight up bad games and then a couple more with bad 30 minutes would be more accurate. Amazing how quick the bar gets raised when talking about good or bad game when a team plays with some proper coaching and structure.

Also, winning changes everything. I agree with your assessment, there is still that inconsistency but honestly to be expected when the team is built like the way it is - not an indictment on current management. Like, we won't and I don't expect to be these results all year. We are playing a tad over our head's. But f***, we deserve to enjoy this.

The hockey is at least inspired. I haven't really wondered once where this group's heads are at. We have otherwise expendable players we can plug in the lineup who are doing positive meaningful things. Our 3rd and 4th lines aren't the ones we throw out and say "please, please, please just don't get scored on".

Watching and following the team is actually fun and I have much better vibes on the outlook of the future, as much as you can expect with being saddled by the culmination of 8 years "work" of Bennilini. It's fun to be a Canucks fan again. I have a clear desire to have everyone succeed. I think this stop in his career is Tocchet's coming out party. He's never had this amount of talent to work with.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
everybody-dance-dance.gif

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Still can’t believe that game happened. Wow.

Hope SJ PR gets in touch with that kid and gives him swag and tickets to a better game. Yikes.

Nice to see this team come out hard with some killer instinct. Now hopefully they don’t get too high on themselves before facing Dallas tomorrow.

Ticket would be almost insulting at this point, and I seriously doubt any of those f***ers on their current roster are even worth the ink in the pen that's gonna be used to sign a jersey.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Never has a poster been more perfectly summarized than the racist muppet who was declaring the most lopsided road win in franchise history to be a guaranteed loss in the pre-game thread.

Is there actual proof of his racism somewhere or are you being outlandish again?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad