Post-Game Talk: [GM10] Canucks defeated Sharks | 10-1 (Everyone) | Avoided the Trap

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
l43COEe.gif

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That was just an absolute shitkicking. SJ are obviously garbage but you have to like how we came out and just ruthlessly put them to the sword right out of the gate.

Biggest road victory in franchise history. Best 10 game start since 2005. Best goal differential at any point since the end of 11-12. Hughes matches the single game point record for a D. This shit is fun and it’s been a long time since it’s been fun.

- basically all of the core players were lights out for the first 30 minutes until they were rested. Production through 10 games for all of Pettersson/Miller/Boeser/Hughes/Hronek is silly.

- good to get 1st goals out of the way for Suter and Beauvillier before that started to become a thing. Hilarious that Beauvillier is now at 5 points after 10 games.

- in a 10-1 game where Hughes had 5 points, the two nicest assists were probably from … Carson Soucy? Unexpected skill level from him so far this year.

- Myers +4, now +8 after 10 games. LOL.

- Friedman took a beating tonight, character guy.

- only negative was blowing the shutout for Demko, even though the goal probably shouldn’t have counted.

- huge positive to all these blowouts is how it’s allowed them to cut icetime to star players. The amount of rest Hughes has received in the St. Louis game + this one is almost equivalent to a game off.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Guys, I hate to do this, but this team is really starting to remind me of the Canucks when Gillis took over the team and a familiar sequence of events

- Team changes captains
- GM makes a shrewd move to bring in a top pairing dman (Ehrhoff / Hronek)
- Team changes direction on how they play, Gillis forced Vigneault to be more offensive, Tocchet has changed the team into a high pressure team to create turnovers.
- PP has becomes a backbone of the offense... the Sedins having a huge impact so far as assistants.
- Many felt at the time when Gillis took over it was time to rebuild (Naslund was on his way out, Bertuzzi, etc.... )... but GM turned things around quickly, see above.
- Team brings in new 3rd line Centres that have a nice impact.

I love the way this team is playing. Their high pressure style of game where they are immediately on the other team to get the puck and force turnovers is fun to watch.

You're connecting a lot of dots that aren't dots. There was a lot more in place before Gillis arrived, Ehroff addition is not similar to Hronek (The canucks D already was good) Usually when a team improves, the PP does too. Everyone always feels it's time to rebuild when a team isn't doing well.

I don't see it whatsoever. This team needs more pieces.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
This is the one year the buyout doesn't hurt. $146,667.
WIth EP and Hronek both need a new contract next season + the OEL buyout truly kicks in.
It basically cancels out the cap raise and the cap relief we get from Myers and Beauv.

This is why we need to trade Garland for some cheap depth to fill the role.
Pod and Hog established themselves fulltime next season will also be huge for the team

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Tocchet for Jack Adams
Hughes for Norris
Petey for Hart
Miller for Selke
Demko for Vezina

Also Soucy with the 2 nicest assists tonight

And wow does Zadina look bad - so weak on his skates, no compete. How did this guy go ahead of Hughes :help:
Ken Holland.

• Haha
Reactions: Kreator

overboard

Oct 1, 2020
Vancouver
Looking forward to a real game against Vegas, Colorado, or Dallas - Saturday will be a much better test.

That said. When is the last time the Canucks put up double digits? I honestly can't remember. I was at an 8-1 shellacking of Anaheim as a kid... 20+ years ago, I think. Can't remember 10 within living memory.

Edit: Went and looked it up. 1992. In an 11-0 win vs the Flames.

31 years, damn.
I was at that game. It was f*€&ing glorious.

Chased Vernon out of the net and their coach resigned the next day hahaha.

I still bask in the afterglow to this day.

Side note: that year was similar to how this season is shaping up. Coming on fire after sucking *hard* the season before.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
It’s crazy how big a part of life the Canucks are. I’m getting ready for work and this feeling of happiness and joy which will undoubtedly set the mood for today (barring any work shenanigans lol). Last time I remember this feeling was 12 years ago as a sophomore in college.

It’s been a long time since I felt like this. As a person who deals with seasonal depression this time of year, it’s a good serotonin boost.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I guess Saturday is sort of a measuring stick game… Let’s see how we do against a very good Dallas team who’s above us in the standings.

bh53

Sep 18, 2017
Victoria
I don't know if it's just me but tonight's game just wasn't fun to watch. It was fun for like the first 10 minutes or so but after we scored the 4th goal it just felt like bullying. The NHL really needs to do something about teams blatantly tanking

Reactions: alternate

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
You're connecting a lot of dots that aren't dots. There was a lot more in place before Gillis arrived, Ehroff addition is not similar to Hronek (The canucks D already was good) Usually when a team improves, the PP does too. Everyone always feels it's time to rebuild when a team isn't doing well.

I don't see it whatsoever. This team needs more pieces.

Not directed at me but I disagree on some points. The pieces in place when Gillis took over weren’t established young pieces and the team was drafting 10th overall. Sedins were turning 28, Luongo was 29 and Edler and Kesler weren’t stars. But at the time it was only Luongo who was amongst the best in the league. There were veterans in place on D and the D was for sure a lot better. But the team needed more pieces. It’s worth mentioning that Gillis was trying to add younger pieces and didn’t think the team were contenders until he saw the Sedins and Kesler up for awards.

Current management took over a team with younger stars in Petey, Hughes, and Demko with Miller being 29 and Horvat being 27. They also had Boeser and signed Kuzmenko with Pods and Hoglander in the lineup with the 15th overall pick. Even saying this I am not sure that the timeline was all that different. Most of us thought we should ride things out and compete when Dickinson and Myers’ contract are gone. Buying out OEL then would also be cheaper. Maybe we would have traded Miller for futures and kept Horvat at around $7M AAV.

As for Ehrhoff, that was a home run trade and he boosted the PP. Hronek doesn’t boost the PP the same way because we have Hughes but there’s a comparatively bigger need for a top 4 Dman. Regardless the trade isn’t comparable not for the reasons you stated. A rebuilding team wouldn’t regret making the Ehrhoff trade but not necessarily the Hronek trade.

There also isn’t exactly a direct correlation in terms of how good a team is vs their PP. The Oilers had the best PP last year. Canucks finished 11th in the league last year in PP%. Senators and Sabres were even better. 3 out for the top 11 PP teams missed the playoffs. Hornek doesn’t even play on the top unit.

FuzzyTitus

Dec 17, 2008
I feel like maybe the trap right now is the canucks record and goal differential when you look at the quality of competition so far. Haven't really had too many top teams outside of Colorado and NYR (0-1-1). Edm was supposed to be good but are struggling, Nashville is a mid level team.

Definitely think the canucks are playing 1,000's of times better this year, but it will be good to see them get wins against top teams and play like they did tonight.

Reactions: quat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad