Post-Game Talk: [GM10] Canucks defeated Sharks | 10-1 (Everyone) | Avoided the Trap

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
I don't know if it's just me but tonight's game just wasn't fun to watch. It was fun for like the first 10 minutes or so but after we scored the 4th goal it just felt like bullying. The NHL really needs to do something about teams blatantly tanking
Well... if they are going to tank that hard (remember, tanking teams all brag about their prospects afterwards), then they deserve to be bullied. I loved it, after years of crap losing, I am enjoying globetrotting other teams. I also like resting the big guns while getting the depth rewarded for their hard work, as well as filling up the stat-leaders lists with Canucks names.

Reactions: MarkMM and Jay26

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Haven't watched the entire game, but saw the highlights...I liked the fact that the Canuck players downplayed goal celebrations after the 1st period.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I don't think i can remember watching a team that listless - ever.
The end of the 2nd and 3rd period was almost uncomfortable to watch.
Zero effort or pushback.
Canucks flinging the puck around the ice at will. 5-on-5 looking like PP's..

Box scores looked nice, Trade Hoglander, heh.
Neat part of the boxscore was scrolling the TOI... extremely balanced - as you would expect.

Everyone seemed to have fun last night - except Friedman and his face.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't know if it's just me but tonight's game just wasn't fun to watch. It was fun for like the first 10 minutes or so but after we scored the 4th goal it just felt like bullying. The NHL really needs to do something about teams blatantly tanking

As a Canucks fan, I enjoyed that game tremendously. Seeing my team perform like this after what's happened for the last 10 years is just fantastic. And I have no soft spot for SJ (2013 playoff refereeing, Thornton gloving Henrik in the face) so LOL f**k em.

As a hockey fan, that game was a disgrace and it's a joke that teams are incentivized to put out a product that looks like that. It goes against the fundamental ethos of sports and trying to do your best in a competitive setting.

As I said in the GDT, the single biggest positive change the NHL could make is to go to an unweighted draft lottery to kill off this crap. It's embarrassing for the league and it's anti-sports.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
At the same time, whoever their coach is is doing a piss poor job. There were some dead puck era teams that easily had less talent than SJ has. Their first line is actually not bad on paper although they were missing Couture they still have Duclair and Hertl.

I remember I finished a minor hockey game out in Surrey, and we were listening on the radio on our way back to Point Grey. I was upset because it was already 4-0 and I felt like I’d missed all the goals.

Narrator: He hadn’t missed all the goals.
Narrator: There's always money in the banana stand!

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
At the same time, whoever their coach is is doing a piss poor job. There were some dead puck era teams that easily had less talent than SJ has. Their first line is actually not bad on paper although they were missing Couture they still have Duclair and Hertl.

Narrator: There's always money in the banana stand!

I don't disagree that Quinn should be embarrassed about that level of compete, but that team's blueline is horrific. They don't have a top-4 defender. Kyle Burroughs is playing 21 minutes/game for them.

Duclair has 3 goals in 30 games since his Achilles injury. He looks cooked.

Hertl is the only player on that team who looks to be anything better than a replacement-level forward or bottom-pairing D.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
As a Canucks fan, I enjoyed that game tremendously. Seeing my team perform like this after what's happened for the last 10 years is just fantastic. And I have no soft spot for SJ (2013 playoff refereeing, Thornton gloving Henrik in the face) so LOL f**k em.

As a hockey fan, that game was a disgrace and it's a joke that teams are incentivized to put out a product that looks like that. It goes against the fundamental ethos of sports and trying to do your best in a competitive setting.

As I said in the GDT, the single biggest positive change the NHL could make is to go to an unweighted draft lottery to kill off this crap. It's embarrassing for the league and it's anti-sports.

I agree with your overall point, but still disagree about San Jose. They were competitive for a long, and a big reason for there current situation was to prolong that window. The only tanking thing they have done is trade Karlsson who wanted out and trade UFAs. They even signed Hertl going into the Bedard year when they could of easily traded him at the 2022 deadline for picks and be even worse in 2023. Not even close to what teams like Chicago and Arizona did.

San Jose is just bad, and no matter the system there are always going to be bad teams.

Reactions: Jay26

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Never has a poster been more perfectly summarized than the racist muppet who was declaring the most lopsided road win in franchise history to be a guaranteed loss in the pre-game thread.
Lol who is this referring to? Edit - got it, lol.

Last edited:

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Canucks:
  • 2x scoring leaders in top 5 (one a defenseman) and 3 in the top 10
  • Leading defensive scorer and 2x defensemen in top 10
  • top 5 goalie for wins/save %
  • 3 players top 10 for
  • top 3 player for goals scored
  • 3 players in top 3 for +/- and 6 in the top 10
  • league leaders for GF/G
  • Top 2 for PP %
  • League top 5 for GAA and Save % for goaltending duo
  • Amazingly, only 3 players in the top 10 for PP points suggesting most production generated off of 5v5 play
It's a super small 1 month sample size over 10 games with a .750 win % and the best goal differential in the league so far but the quality of competition hasn't exactly been the toughest in Oct with Tampa and NYR giving us the hardest overall games after Seattle. A loss to Philly to round it out. Nov is our litmus test IMO as it involves a lot of travel to the east and a spot stop at home here and there. We tend to do questionably on these road trips and our next game against Dallas with Vegas to end the month.

Just need to pad the stats against Edmonton Calgary San Jose and Anaheim coming up here.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Nothing against Kyle Burroughs......but he's staple on your first unit PP, then you're in a world of trouble.

Have to feel for Sharks coach David Quinn, who's had some success coaching in the league. But this year is shaping up as the longest in his life.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Nothing against Kyle Burroughs......but he's staple on your first unit PP, then you're in a world of trouble.

Have to feel for Sharks coach David Quinn, who's had some success coaching in the league. But this year is shaping up as the longest in his life.
he has?

the hire was really weird in the first place because it happened in like july, i think he was just glad he could get another gig.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
@andora

I can't remember going to a Canucks Sharks game where it wasn't a blowout either way. We were down 4-0 at the end of the first one time and the scalper at the Gargage wouldn't sell me a ticket for $20, We ended up losing something like 7-0.

Shark fans are weird bunch too. Huge fans of the team but don't seem to be aware there are other teams other than the Kings.

So thinking about going to the Nov 25th game. I didn't realize it was so close. But that's the day after Black Friday so it could be interesting. At least it's a Saturday so I don't have work the next day.

Last edited:
Reactions: andora

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
I agree with your overall point, but still disagree about San Jose. They were competitive for a long, and a big reason for there current situation was to prolong that window. The only tanking thing they have done is trade Karlsson who wanted out and trade UFAs. They even signed Hertl going into the Bedard year when they could of easily traded him at the 2022 deadline for picks and be even worse in 2023. Not even close to what teams like Chicago and Arizona did.

San Jose is just bad, and no matter the system there are always going to be bad teams.
Completely agree with this. I don't really know why folks are getting on the Sharks for tanking. San Jose traded Karlsson, a very good player but an aging vet. It made sense to trade him.

Chicago traded players like DeBrincat and Dach, young talent they could have easily kept around for the retool/rebuild.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
We play these guys again in like a week and don’t need to be giving them things to be pissed off about.
Why they may get angry and limit us to 9 goals?

They suck, Burroughs plays on pp 1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad