GM search 2017 part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I didn't expect LA to grant permission for Futa, but I'm very interested in him. I've not heard one bad thing about the guy, he has far more experience then a guy like Guerin.

If we're going rookie GM it's between Futa, Botterill, Fitzgerald or Brisebois for me. MacIver admitting he isn't very good when it comes to the cap scares me big time...I'm still learning about Zito, that's an intriguing candidate.
He can hire assistants to manage that stuff.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
anyways you want Brisebois then, hes had his hand in all operations relating to management at a GM level for more than 10 years.
Agreed. If he was responsible for even just 1/5th of some of the salary movements that Tampa Bay has done in the past few years then I would be happy. Moulson and Ennis would be off the roster by August.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Tom Fitzgerald getting the gig would certainly be interesting given Casey's status as a prospect in the organization.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
so does every woman :laugh:

anyways you want Brisebois then, hes had his hand in all operations relating to management at a GM level for more than 10 years.

It's between Brisebois and Botterill for me. Very smart and successful people.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
A lot of connected NHL people seem very high on Bill Zito from the Jackets.

There really seems to be a very good pool from which to choose at the moment.

I wonder if they wait until Treleving meets with Flames ownership before they make a move on any candidate.

Still hoping there is a senior guy in place over top of the GM and Dudley is my first choice.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I didn't expect LA to grant permission for Futa, but I'm very interested in him. I've not heard one bad thing about the guy, he has far more experience then a guy like Guerin.

If we're going rookie GM it's between Futa, Botterill, Fitzgerald or Brisebois for me. MacIver admitting he isn't very good when it comes to the cap scares me big time...I'm still learning about Zito, that's an intriguing candidate.

The Sabres have a good cap guy in Asst GM Mark Jakubowski. His advice is useless if the GM ignores it.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
So basically Pegula is interviewing every AGM with experience. No surprising names so far. No college coaches, etc.
They need a GM first and a college coach coming into the NHL as a GM would be the most non experienced thing you could ever do.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
They need a GM first and a college coach coming into the NHL as a GM would be the most non experienced thing you could ever do.

Yes, obviously. I misspoke (mistyped). A college coach as a GM and we would all quit watching this team immediately. :laugh: My mind was on two different subjects and I'm typing on the subway.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Pegula should read.
"You have to have a culture where the requirements are high, standards are high, especially in the American League. This is where we set up the foundations of these professionals who one day, hopefully, will become players of the National League, "says the Quebecer.

The quality of the environment is essential to the development of these young people, he believes. And above all, the habit of winning. For BriseBois, an affiliate of an NHL team is not just about playing young people with some advice and waiting for them to be ready.

He wants a winning team at all levels and as such, he is on the same wavelength as his boss.

"I sincerely believe that I have the best DG Assistant job of the entire league. I love working with Steve Yzerman; We have a good complicity, both professionally and personally. "

In short, BriseBois seems ready for the next step, but we do not feel any urgenc

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013

Yeah. The entire article below.

SYRACUSE - On Thursday morning in Syracuse, 20 hockey players sweat in drops under the orders of Benoît Groulx in a desert arena. Almost deserted. One observer watched the training carefully and took notes on the eve of the fourth game of the series between the Crunch and the Icecaps in Saint John, Newfoundland and Labrador.

A text by Alexandre Gascon

Julien BriseBois is absorbed by his task, but he looks up to greet the media representative and give him a long interview.

Deputy Chief Executive Steve Yzerman of the Tampa Bay Lightning is also the CEO of their American League (LAH) subsidiary, the Syracuse Crunch.

He was in New York State the day before to witness the victory of his team. And he was also present in Newfoundland and Labrador for the first two games of the series. In fact, BriseBois follows the team step by step, despite his many tasks with the parent company in Florida.

"He is very present. If he's not there physically, he's watching our games, "says Crunch coach Benoît Groulx.

Not all teams in the American League (AHL) are lucky enough to have a regular CEO.

In Montreal, for example, Marc Bergevin has two DG jobs.

Brisebois also deploys its tentacles throughout the organization of the Lightning, but development remains his dada.

"I'm lucky enough to touch everything, but what I'm most proud of is our development program. It's my baby for a long time. Even from the time of the Canadian in Hamilton (Bulldogs). I've always had a lot of pride, "BriseBois said.

Thoughtful on every side

The native of Greenfield Park, Que., Was trained by the Canadian where he spent nearly a decade, from 2000 to 2010. He made his classes with the Hamilton Bulldogs, the former Habs school, Winning the Calder Cup in 2007, the ultimate consecration of this league, with a certain Carey Price in front of the net.

BriseBois puts its nose in all the files of the Lightning and Crunch: contracts, recruitment, development, hiring, etc.

It was he who called Benoît Groulx, a coveted coach who is in a second pass in professional hockey, after the elimination of the Olympiques de Gatineau last year. The two men went to spend two days in New York with Yzerman.

A few days later, the contract was signed and the good understanding between the two men has prevailed since.

"We talk to each other every day. What we have to say, we say it without hiding, "confides Groulx at the end of the training of his band.

"He's a guy who gives me the resources I need, I feel his support 100%. Every day he asks me if I need anything. I love this approach. I'm the kind of coach who likes things to be clear, that there are not too many gray areas. We all know that it's hard not to have one, there will always be, but I have the impression that there is not too much between us, "adds the 49-year-old coach.

"It's really a good DG," adds Yanni Gourde, a revelation at the Lightning this season. He often comes to see us, he asks. He is really involved in the development of the team and that's why the American League subsidiary is also important to the Lightning. "

"Through the league, Tampa Bay is known to be a team that provides opportunities, no matter how old you become, whether you are a draft pick of the current or not," says former Canadian Gabriel Dumont, who played 39 games with the big club this year.

Incensed by his players and his coaches, Julien BriseBois managed to juggle between complicity and professionalism, without ever crossing the thin line.

"He is very nice, he has a beautiful personality, he is good with the world and at the same time everyone knows that he is the boss," says Benoît Groulx.

"He's doing an amazing job with the team here so players know they have a chance to play on top and they know what the Tampa Bay culture is. We, our job, is to realize his vision ", explains the pilot of Crunch.

The Early Prodigy

When we talk about Julien BriseBois, the flowers come from everywhere.

In 2010-2011, The Hockey News magazine named him the best manager of professional hockey 40 years and under. Each time a CEO is fired, his name resurfaces as a potential replacement.

He blew 40 candles in January. It is very young in this sport where often the same faces only change allegiance over time.

"I would like to have a chance to build my own program one day," says BriseBois when asked if he is dreaming of a NHL executive position. It has been around since 2000-2001. I was lucky to be able to start very young. I have a background of experience probably bigger than the world thinks. It's been almost 17 years since I was in the middle. "

"Every day there is a new challenge. We solicit the best of me, which is fun, which is rewarding. Every day, that's my life, "he adds, recalling that he is perfectly happy on the West Coast of Florida and that there is no urgency.

Go off the beaten track

The philosophy of the young leader to have success in hockey is modern is clear.

"It's hard to acquire good players, no matter the avenue. Whether it is through the draft, the independent players without restrictions or transactions. They are few and everybody wants it. Where we have more control, it's development, "BriseBois said.

He has discovered pearls since his beginnings. He hired Guy Boucher with the Bulldogs in 2009 and found Jon Cooper who led an obscure Green Bay formation before joining the Lightning in 2010 and becoming the head coach in 2013.

He and his henchmen signed a contract to Tyler Johnson, Andrej Sustr, Yanni Gourde and JT Brown, and developed the players, all of whom were ignored in the NHL draft. BriseBois recovered them to make them ultimately players of the National League.

"You have to have a culture where the requirements are high, standards are high, especially in the American League. This is where we set up the foundations of these professionals who one day, hopefully, will become players of the National League, "says the Quebecer.

The quality of the environment is essential to the development of these young people, he believes. And above all, the habit of winning. For BriseBois, an affiliate of an NHL team is not just about playing young people with some advice and waiting for them to be ready.

He wants a winning team at all levels and as such, he is on the same wavelength as his boss.

"I sincerely believe that I have the best DG Assistant job of the entire league. I love working with Steve Yzerman; We have a good complicity, both professionally and personally. "

In short, BriseBois seems ready for the next step, but we do not feel any urgency.

And in Tampa Bay, he can always work in gougounes!

"Only on weekends," he said.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad