GM search 2017 part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
Pegula should use this opportunity to figure where all his leaks are coming from. Throw out some misinformation and see what makes it out.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Maybe they go a bit different of a route. Young guy at the top with an experienced guy directly underneath. So maybe something like Futa as GM and someone like Lombardi gets a title like VP-Ass. GM. That way the elder statesman is more of an advisor as opposed to the final say on things.

I mean technically Shannahan hired Lou, correct? So maybe if they brought in Botterill/Briesbois/Futa/Maciver as the GM, and Maloney/Lombardi or whoever is their top assistant? I mean they'd have to want that role, but it could basically be the same role just with a different title attached.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Stan Bowman was a GM here?

My brain went right to Scotty, my mistake. Of course I personally don't think Stan has done such a bang up job myself, but on the other hand I don't know that you can point to a Cup winning team that hasn't pretty much immediately handcuffed itself with some terrible contracts (modern era obviously).

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I have this worry they're interviewing all these candidates that sound really good, then they're going to turn around and pick someone really obscure.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I have this worry they're interviewing all these candidates that sound really good, then they're going to turn around and pick someone really obscure.

"After speaking with all the candidates we determined what we were really missing was heart and grit. So I am pleased to introduce the new General Manager of the Buffalo Sabres, Patrick Kaleta"

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Pegula should use this opportunity to figure where all his leaks are coming from. Throw out some misinformation and see what makes it out.

It's the worst time. He's contacting multiple people and teams outside the org, not discussing things openly within the org with zero talks outside.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009

My inside source says Pegula will announce Artem Kriukov as the next GM.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
"After speaking with all the candidates we determined what we were really missing was heart and grit. So I am pleased to introduce the new General Manager of the Buffalo Sabres, Patrick Kaleta"

Legos team building training sessions for every one.!!!

Seriously, i wouldn't knock Kaleta's dedication to the team. He was willing to show up and participate with th rookie camp when they were doing the boot camp training.

The guy bleeds blue & gold.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall

Seriously, i wouldn't knock Kaleta's dedication to the team. He was willing to show up and participate with th rookie camp when they were doing the boot camp training.

Oh I wasn't attempting to knock Kaleta with that comment. I picked him because he is full of grit and determination. Was just a comment about picking someone out of left field.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
Well, if he's going with Buffalo connections, Stan Bowman did graduate from Canisius High School.

So he's got that going for him.

Seriously, if we could hire the next Stan Bowman, it would be amazing. The guy has been able to keep a nucleus together, win multiple Cups, make the team a destination team, plug rookies in, shed salary when needed and must have a great report with other gms to get the trades done he's made.

But who is that next Stan?????

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Re: The experience thing.

Terry also said immediately after that, that things could change.

I'm guessing they saw who was available with experience, saw how a Sean McDermott type tingled his loins, and decided to be more cutting edge/progressive.

Well I don't think experience necessarily has to mean experience in the exact position. In this case, Sean was never an NFL head coach. Yet, he had total control over the defense while in Carolina. Sure, it's not headcoaching experience but not many coordinators have that type of control. Couple that with the fact that his defenses were some of the best over that 5-6 year period.

If the Pegulas decided to only hire an experienced GM they are eliminating a large portion of potentially qualified candidates. I said in the last thread that the title of Assistant GM is pretty ambiguous because each team has a different set up. Some are quite literally assistants, others actually run and handle the cap, contracts, scouting (pro/amateur), effectively being a partial GM. Others make little to no autonomous decisions. The Pegula's have to find AGMs who have experience handling large portions of an organization, whether that be cap management, scouting, trades, and one of the best experiences is being the GM of the club's AHL team.

Unfortunately that makes it difficult to make "informed" decisions about executive roles, especially because we do not know what the role intailed. That's why to a certain extent, I have 4-5 guys that I would be happy to have as our GM. At the end of the day, whoever is brought on will have their presser and hype us all up, promising to get back to the playoffs. We can speculate and try and form opinions based off of extremely limited knowledge -- but as Al Davis said, just win baby.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Wasn't there rumblings when LaFontaine was doing his GM search that other teams were becoming annoyed at how long/many people he was interviewing in the sense they felt he was using it as a way to pick the brains of other organizations internal processes. I vaguely remember a couple comments suggesting that.

Seems pretty damn smart to me...
Wouldn't be the first person to pattern success off successful people / organizations.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

They've managed to keep things relatively quiet if we're just hearing about Futa now. Maybe it's a test for the candidates to see if they can keep quiet. :laugh:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I have gotten a lot of cell phone calls lately I didn't recognize, but none were (716)...

Don't forget the massage therapist as well
From the initial announcement, I wondered what does one have to do, or not do, as a massage therapist to get one fired? And then I immediately did not want to think about it.

My inside source says Pegula will announce Artem Kriukov as the next GM.
I lol'd.

The spirit of the late Richie Dunn is infused in him.

Not gonna lie, I'd probably buy a Sabres Lego set.
Scale needs to be large enough to match my Hallmark Ryan Miller Christmas ornament. Or maybe not.

snowshoes1818

Oct 19, 2014

Always a good reminder that Sabres-centered leaks need not ever come from the Sabres themselves. League office sources, contractors, agents. And Pegula and co. likely has zeeeero ability to control for any of that. :/

Stuff will leak. This isn't a big deal.

The bigger deal is running a competent, transparent operation from top to bottom to begin with so that when stuff leaks it won't seem like the Sabres are a ship of fools.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I didn't expect LA to grant permission for Futa, but I'm very interested in him. I've not heard one bad thing about the guy, he has far more experience then a guy like Guerin.

If we're going rookie GM it's between Futa, Botterill, Fitzgerald or Brisebois for me. MacIver admitting he isn't very good when it comes to the cap scares me big time...I'm still learning about Zito, that's an intriguing candidate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad