GM Sakic and Yzerman

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
lol its clearly without a shadow of a doubt Sakic as the the better player. Yzerman led the candians to 4th in the 1998 Nagano Olympics. While Sakic led the canadains them to gold in 2002 Salt Lake City.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
lol its clearly without a shadow of a doubt Sakic as the the better player. Yzerman led the candians to 4th in the 1998 Nagano Olympics. While Sakic led the canadains them to gold in 2002 Salt Lake City.
That Nagano team was hilariously horridly picked.

And Yzerman was also in Salt Lake.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Their points and production is close you could pull a straw from a hat. The true difference maker is that Yzerman was the superior leader on the ice and rallied his team to win so many more division titles, president trophies and one more Stanley Cup over Sakic.

Yzerman was the better "C".
During the Av’s runs Sakic scored huge goals and made big plays quite frequently. He was often at his best when it mattered the most. I was on the Yzerman side by a hair earlier in life. One off season the Avs showed all their big games throughout the summer and I had forgotten how tremendously clutch Sakic was.

The image of Yzerman is of him willing himself up along the boards and playing well defensively, making him a leader. Sakic was good defensively too.

I think over the years some of this became legend. I’m not sure it would pass if you go back and watch all the big plays.

They both played on amazingly deep and full of leadership teams. One gets a lot of credit and for some reason one doesn’t.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Steve Yzerman has more:

GWG
OTG
SHG
SHP
Better +/-
Better at Faceoffs
Leader on 3 cup wins (opposed to 2 cup wins)

Both Player Awards:

3 time Stanley Cup Champion - Yzerman
2 time Stanley Cup Champion - Sakic
Conn Smythe Trophy - Sakic / Yzerman
Hart Trophy - Sakic
Masterton Trophy - Yzerman
Lester B. Pearson Trophy - Sakic / Yzerman
Lady Byng Trophy - Sakic
Frank J. Selke Trophy - Yzerman

For me, what puts Yzerman over Sakic, is the 3rd cup win. If Stanley Cups is the ultimate goal in the NHL, then Yzerman edges out the win.

If the cup isn't the goal, and individual goal scoring is the ultimate factor, then Sakic by a very slight margin. From a hockey player as a whole, a winner, a leader, the competitive edge between the two... then it goes to Yzerman.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
Can't wait for GM87 to pass them both on the All-Time GM list.

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
Sakic's Olympics MVP and 9 OT GWG put him over the top here. Superjoe's clutchness and pure class made him most respected captain in the NHL.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I think the most important detail often left out of a Yzerman v Sakic debate is Yzerman's knee injury in 1995. His meniscus couldn't be repaired, cartillage had to be removed, and from that point his skating suffered and he seriously lost a step for the rest of his career. His production started to gradually decrease in the regular season and towards the end of his career he was ravaged by injuries. Impressively enough, he still turned his game up in the playoffs and with the help of a great supporting cast led his team to 3 cups. His effort and dedication despite all of the injury setbacks he faced as a result of the 1995 knee issue is part of why he's my favourite player of all time.

It's odd, Sakic had a bad knee injury a couple of years later but his knee was fully repaired unlike Yzerman's and he maintained high production the rest of the way through. One has to wonder what Yzerman's numbers would have been like if they were able to repair his knee properly in 1995. Maybe he couldn't remained an offensive juggernaut like Sakic was late into his career.

Either way, both guys are legends.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad