GM Ron Hextall (part 2)

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
At some point the roster/depth chart on paper have to convert into a proper real-world product on the ice.

If ownership ever come to the conclusion that Ron Hextall is not the right man in charge to go the second half of the way, they will not hesitate to replace him.

And we are seeing results. If you look past the trash goaltending and coaching you can clearly see that the rest of the roster has greatly improved.

The teams results look worse than how they've actually played. We all know the problems on the roster, but even in spite of that we know the team can perform better than they have.

If you simply imagine the PP being more like normal, instead of in a crazy unsustainable slump, they'd be in a far better position in the standings, which would more accurately show the quality of the majority of the roster. We have a good forward core and a good top 4 of the defense. So far we're currently 11th in 5v5 goals scored and we have one less game played than 7 of the teams ahead of us... and that's with JVR being injured most of the year and Provorov having a rough start. Last year we were 16th, the year before that we were 27th, and the year before that was 23rd. And that's in spite of a system that's holding them back too.

Yes, which is why if Hextall fires Lappy and Hak at the end of the year I will be back on the Hextall train, but it has been years now with these two where it should have been apparent that they arent going to cut it. Hakstol is pushing the teams window further in the future as well with his fear of giving young kids significant time. Even Knoblauch seems incredibly mediocre. Yes Hextall has done lots very well, but its irrelevant if he cant make good personnel hires.

It's not pushing the window further into the future, it's just cutting off years at what could have been the start of the window.

Even in spite of their usage and lack of coaching help, we can see the young players improving. It's not as if there's been any development setbacks, it's just that they're not showing the impact they could have if they were used appropriately.

For example, look at TK last year. He wasn't ruined by playing in the bottom 6 for so long last season, he was just being wasted and wasn't able to make a difference while being buried. As soon as he was used properly (put on the top line) we saw what he was capable of.

And what's been done to the roster is not, and could not be, irrelevant because it's by far the most difficult/important/lengthy part of becoming a contender. When Hakstol's eventually gone these players will still be here.

Last edited:
Reactions: VladDrag

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
So I just read something that said Q is still under contract with the Blackhawks? I thought he got canned?

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Question: Will there be any changes within the coaching staff?

Answer:
“The coaches will all be back. We’re still doing a little bit of evaluating on the entire organization, but yes (in the same roles). We’re not going to make a change to appease people because we’re suppose to. We’re going to make change to get better. We’re not going to do what makes us popular. I think Hak (Dave Hakstol) has done a really good job.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelp...lks-coaching-staff-free-agents-draft-and-more

The same guy who thinks Lappy deserves another shot, especially when he's statistically one of the worst PK coaches ever and even more so apparent now. But you know, Old Boys Club...

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If you're making $6M this year and next year, why would you take the first job offered?
Q will wait for the right situation.
For the Flyers to entice him, they'll probably need to find a goalie.
But if they find a goalie, Hakstol will make the playoffs with this team and win the first round and won't be fired! :sarcasm:

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
uR0osEF.jpg

You made my day......;-)

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Why would that be the case?

Comcast has a reservoir as cash as large as the Atlantic Ocean.

I don't know I thought I read something somewhere that he is still technically under contract so Chicago could stop someone from hiring him until the contract ends. I don't think it has to do with money, I think it has to do with Q's contract with Chicago. If it is still in effect the Hawks could say no and prevent him from going somewhere else. Whether they would or not I have no idea, but I thought I saw that somewhere.

If you're making $6M this year and next year, why would you take the first job offered?
Q will wait for the right situation.
For the Flyers to entice him, they'll probably need to find a goalie.
But if they find a goalie, Hakstol will make the playoffs with this team and win the first round and won't be fired! :sarcasm:

The point of the question was not necessarily that I thought the Flyers would do this (I don't think they would), it was that I did not realize that Q was still under contract with the Hawks. You can replace the Flyers with any team in the NHL and the inquiry is the same: is it accurate that the Hawks can prevent Q from going and coaching somewhere else at the moment or did what I read get it wrong?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't know I thought I read something somewhere that he is still technically under contract so Chicago could stop someone from hiring him until the contract ends. I don't think it has to do with money, I think it has to do with Q's contract with Chicago. If it is still in effect the Hawks could say no and prevent him from going somewhere else. Whether they would or not I have no idea, but I thought I saw that somewhere.

The point of the question was not necessarily that I thought the Flyers would do this (I don't think they would), it was that I did not realize that Q was still under contract with the Hawks. You can replace the Flyers with any team in the NHL and the inquiry is the same: is it accurate that the Hawks can prevent Q from going and coaching somewhere else at the moment or did what I read get it wrong?

Chicago cannot prevent Quenneville from accepting another job offer. That would be asinine.

For example, remember when Montreal hired Claude Julien right after Boston fired him?

Last edited:

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Chicago can not prevent Quenneville from accepting another job offer. That would be asinine.

For example, remember when Montreal hired Claude Julien right after Boston fired him?

Agree. Do if I understand the situation correctly, Q gives up the $6M per season (prorated of course) if he takes a HC job elsewhere. Might even apply to any job (GM, etc.) SO while any team can make an offer, it is a fair qustion as to whther Q is in a rush to sign on elsewhere, given the checks are rolling in for another 18 months. Conversely, for the right offer, why wouldn't he?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Agree. Do if I understand the situation correctly, Q gives up the $6M per season (prorated of course) if he takes a HC job elsewhere. Might even apply to any job (GM, etc.) SO while any team can make an offer, it is a fair qustion as to whther Q is in a rush to sign on elsewhere, given the checks are rolling in for another 18 months. Conversely, for the right offer, why wouldn't he?

That seems like a more realistic scenario.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
all these teams firing their coaches because they're under performing is making Hextall look worse and worse by the day. you can't be loyal in this business. it's all about winning.

some reporter needs to ask him why there is no accountability here, and why mediocrity is being accepted and tolerated.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Chicago cannot prevent Quenneville from accepting another job offer. That would be asinine.

Pretty sure if he takes another job, he is no longer paid by Hawks.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

I think you are misunderstanding what I am trying to figure out. I thought I saw something that said Chicago could prevent him from going somewhere else and no one is actually responding to this inquiry, and instead are acting like I am making some sort of outlandish argument and being completely off the walls. The initial post cannot make this any more clear when I said specifically "So I just read something that said Q is still under contract with the Blackhawks? I thought he got canned?" Then someone responded (without answering the question directly) saying he is still getting paid. I asked if that meant the Blackhawks could restrict his employment. Instead of responding to these inquiries you are instead arguing with me about the answer to a question that I have not received as if I am trying to convince you of something.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Obviously a mistake on his part, but I have no idea how you come to the conclusion that it's due to cowardice.

Could be considered Coward as he’s scared to admit he f***ed up BAD.
Arrogant would prob be a better description.

You know longer sit idle anywhere else in the league, but somehow our GM has that luxury as he answers to no one.

Maybe losing 3 more games will wake thismloser up

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
All these teams firing their coaches are doing knee jerk damage control.
Sorta like Holmgren firing Lavi to make Berube the coach.

Firing a coach mid-season only makes sense when you have a top veteran team that's underperforming and you don't want to waste the few seasons left while the window is still open.

Pittsburgh did this twice:
2008-09, Bylsma replaces Therrien and wins a Cup, Pittsburgh had gone to the finals the year before and was off to a slow start.
2015-16, Sullivan replaces Johnston, who had replaced Bylsma the year before after the team failed to make the finals for five years.
Between 2000-2006, Pens went through Hinka, Kehoe, Olczyk, and Therrien. Coaching changes didn't work, drafting Crosby, Malkin, MAF and Letang helped.

Julien coached Boston for 9 years, including a Cup, Cassidy replaced him in 2010-11.
Did Julien get stupid or did Cassidy just get lucky to be hired when the young players were ready to emerge?

I'm just not sure that kneejerk firings do much for a team unless you have someone lined up, putting an interim coach is really writing off the season, if he's not good enough to be the coach in the first place, why bother?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
All these teams firing their coaches are doing knee jerk damage control.
Sorta like Holmgren firing Lavi to make Berube the coach.

Firing a coach mid-season only makes sense when you have a top veteran team that's underperforming and you don't want to waste the few seasons left while the window is still open.

Pittsburgh did this twice:
2008-09, Bylsma replaces Therrien and wins a Cup, Pittsburgh had gone to the finals the year before and was off to a slow start.
2015-16, Sullivan replaces Johnston, who had replaced Bylsma the year before after the team failed to make the finals for five years.
Between 2000-2006, Pens went through Hinka, Kehoe, Olczyk, and Therrien. Coaching changes didn't work, drafting Crosby, Malkin, MAF and Letang helped.

Julien coached Boston for 9 years, including a Cup, Cassidy replaced him in 2010-11.
Did Julien get stupid or did Cassidy just get lucky to be hired when the young players were ready to emerge?

I'm just not sure that kneejerk firings do much for a team unless you have someone lined up, putting an interim coach is really writing off the season, if he's not good enough to be the coach in the first place, why bother?

Firing Hakstol isn't kneejerk.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Could be considered Coward as he’s scared to admit he ****ed up BAD.
Arrogant would prob be a better description.

You know longer sit idle anywhere else in the league, but somehow our GM has that luxury as he answers to no one.

Maybe losing 3 more games will wake thismloser up
That's a narrative that's been fabricated with nothing to back it up.

It's either cowardice or crippling incompetence, take your pick.

It's far more likely...

1) being overly patient (bad)
2) actually agrees with Hakstol (worst)
3) doesn't agree with Hakstol, but has a reason for keeping him around until firing him at a specific time (best, but still bad)

But I see nothing to suggest he's scared.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad