Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

Damn I miss Murray. I miss having someone provide you the goods without bullshit, pumping his own tires, being condescending, throwing out stupid one-liners or generally just sounding like an ass like Dorion.

Why can't we just have someone competent again.

man i love the honest by Murray

Reactions: Dionysus

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
man i love the honest by Murray
That was a man who knew how to manage expectations. You just wanted to hear what he had to say. Says things to the point and clearly, and not smugly at all. It’s crazy that Dorion spent so much time hovering around him and never picked up any of his traits.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
My belief is the NHL is involved and the Sens will be sold by the draft. Complete relaunch of the team - top draft pick, new stadium plans announced, new coach and GM with credibility.

might be a dream, but Melnyck’s ownership is going nowhere and the city wants to build and Bettman isn’t going to sit around and let a $5 billion slip out of his hands

Aren't there rumors that Melnyk actually tried selling the team and that Bettman blocked it?

Does anyone know if those rumours had any substance

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
That was a man who knew how to manage expectations. You just wanted to hear what he had to say. Says things to the point and clearly, and not smugly at all. It’s crazy that Dorion spent so much time hovering around him and never picked up any of his traits.
Murray had 30+ years of coaching and GM experience in the NHL. That's 30+ years of being in front of cameras and working with some of the greats of the game.
Dorion is in his 5th or 6th year as GM.

There's no reason to even put those two in the same sentence.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Murray had 30+ years of coaching and GM experience in the NHL. That's 30+ years of being in front of cameras and working with some of the greats of the game.

Dorion has been in the league for over 15 years now. I'm sure he's seen thousands of interviews with GMs and should have an idea of the do's and don'ts when speaking to the media. He's also been with the Sens since 2007. 9 years with Murray.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Aren't there rumors that Melnyk actually tried selling the team and that Bettman blocked it?

Does anyone know if those rumours had any substance

We know Melnyck has had offers. The major problem is he’s run the team so poorly it’s not worth anything close to $700 million, good thing is you’ll be getting a new owner with majorly deep pockets just for that reason.

you’re buying a 3 floor fixer upper but it’s in a great neighbourhood. Good investment - buy the worst house in the best neighbour hood

Reactions: Agent Zub and Skid

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Yeah and it has nothing to do with how much experience they have. One was a high character person the other is a cowardly snake. Not the first time Pierre runs and hides from his responsibilities. Didn't even have the balls to fire Justin Murray himself after his dad hired him. Got Troy Mann to do it. Low character, bad leadership, terrible team. The irony that he preaches about character is as rich as it gets.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Bryan Murray felt like a father figure. Like the caring Dad of the team that kept the house together.

Didnt feel that way from the outside looking in. Heatkey, Alfie, Soezza - how he butted heads with Hasek and that big red headed Dman who hates everyone. He didn’t meet a single NHL coach in Ottawa that he liked.
Murray nostalgia in this town is real - his teams played brutal hockey and he was given a Cup finalist and turned it into a franchise that struggled for respectability. And then recommended Pierre Dorion for the job. He also was coaching a Cup finalist and got the GM fired - which was a huge mistake

and he started the “Mr. Melnyck” thing which seemed childish

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Dorion has been in the league for over 15 years now. I'm sure he's seen thousands of interviews with GMs and should have an idea of the do's and don'ts when speaking to the media. He's also been with the Sens since 2007. 9 years with Murray.
Yeah and most of that was an amateur scout working on the road between town to town. You think you watch some interviews on youtube and that gives you enough experience to do it the same way as the people in the videos do? That's pretty unfair to expect.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Dorion's issues with speaking to the media had nothing to do with lack of experience in hockey.

He lacks self confidence, and people lacking in self confidence have real issues with public speaking (I know this from personal experience).

Now he has gotten a bit better, probably by being better prepared and just generally having done it more often so he's not as nervous.

But, the real problem here is that self confidence is an absolute necessity to be a successful GM in any pro sports league. So, I really don't see how the guy can ever be good at his job.

wiindjammer

Apr 1, 2011
Sens need to look at the masterful job done in Toronto. Get a high draft pick and build around him

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Yeah and most of that was an amateur scout working on the road between town to town. You think you watch some interviews on youtube and that gives you enough experience to do it the same way as the people in the videos do? That's pretty unfair to expect.
Given his tenure in the league I'm sure he would have enough exposure to get an idea of how respectable GMs conduct themselves. He doesn't need to watch YouTube videos, he has dealt and interacted with Murray on a personal level.

I'm not saying it's enough for him to behave in a similar fashion but it's second hand experience so it's not completely foreign to the guy.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He worked closely with Murray for years lol. You have to learn somewhere and that somewhere is where Dorion was

otown

Sep 4, 2009
If and when PD gets fired do you think other teams would even consider him for GM vacancies when they come up?

My point is that he doesn't have a solid reputation in this role as we know and the Sens are paying a huge price in their growth and development as a result!

Reactions: Cosmix

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
If and when PD gets fired do you think other teams would even consider him for GM vacancies when they come up?

My point is that he doesn't have a solid reputation in this role as we know and the Sens are paying a huge price in their growth and development as a result!
maybe mtl since he is french

maybe a team rebuilding

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Didnt feel that way from the outside looking in. Heatkey, Alfie, Soezza - how he butted heads with Hasek and that big red headed Dman who hates everyone. He didn’t meet a single NHL coach in Ottawa that he liked.
Murray nostalgia in this town is real - his teams played brutal hockey and he was given a Cup finalist and turned it into a franchise that struggled for respectability. And then recommended Pierre Dorion for the job. He also was coaching a Cup finalist and got the GM fired - which was a huge mistake

He was the start of a long slow motion crash. Without EK that would have been ugly. Even with him they sucked every second year.

Reactions: Agent Zub

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

I'm not talking about his performance as a GM, there's plenty to complain about there. I'm talking about his personality and his pr abilities and the fact that he didn't appear to be a snake oil salesman like Dorion. It speaks volumes that players always praised him while they don't even mention Dorion's name.

Heatley can f*** off and I couldn't care less if there was anything there. We were lucky to get off that pot when we did because he was cooked.

Alfie was bailed on financially, so I have to assume that was Melnyk's doing. It was definitely Melnyk the 2nd time he left and even if there was anything there, Alfie was very up front with his admiration for Murray afterwards.

Spezza left because they were rebuilding and obviously had great rapport with Murray, don't see an issue there.

He didn't "butt heads" with Hasek, he was just frustrated he wouldn't suit up just like the team was and also begged him to play. Deep down they knew he was their only shot and Ray wasn't good enough, so of course they were begging him to play. It was a mistake to not bring him back, I agree, but I can see the why behind that call.

Muckler sucked and did very little to give the team the push everyone knew they needed. I'm sorry, not going to agree that keeping him around would have changed anything. The mistake was letting Murray leave the bench.

He did recommend Dorion. He was a colleague and Murray was in his last stage of terminal cancer. I'm not sure what else you expected from him at that point, especially since it was well known that Dorion was already the defacto GM.

Reactions: Agent Zub and ksens

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Pierre will not get a GM job anywhere again, I am wiling to personally wager my life savings on it. He will likely get executive roles but not GM.

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad