Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Thankfully PD did throw the entire farm at acquiring short term acquisitions to improve the 4D spot and 2C…

really sucks we lost Pinto but some of these ideas are crazy.

Trading 3 future Sokolov, Klevins or what ever for short term solutions would cripple this org in no time.

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Thankfully PD did throw the entire farm at acquiring short term acquisitions to improve the 4D spot and 2C…

Trading 3 future Sokolov, Klevins or what ever for short term solutions would cripple this org in no time.
Guy has the easiest job in the world apparently, since according to people like you, there's nothing at all that he could have done to improve the team these last 2 years and every prospect is untouchable. Everything is going so well why would you ever want to bring in any decent help for these poor kids getting their asses whooped and embarassed every game. I'm sure they'll magically turn the corner any day now.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

Sokolov and Kleven are dime a dozen prospect

if you can get a top 4 D for either of those guys then you should do it ASAP

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Sokolov and Kleven are dime a dozen prospect

if you can get a top 4 D for either of those guys then you should do it ASAP

Well .. you can't .. It probably takes a good 1RD pick plus 2-3 of those types. No one is handing out controllable top 4 DMAN. The idea that Dorion could snap his figures and bring in a 2C/4D is ridiculous. It would deplete our farm.

The best thing PD has done is NOT acquire a 2C/4D unless there was a UFA who desperately wanted to pay Canadian taxes on a bottom third team.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Well .. you can't .. It probably takes a good 1RD pick plus 2-3 of those types. No one is handing out controllable top 4 DMAN. The idea that Dorion could snap his figures and bring in a 2C/4D is ridiculous. It would deplete our farm.

The best thing PD has done is NOT acquire a 2C/4D unless there was a UFA who desperately wanted to pay Canadian taxes on a bottom third team.

actually people have been trading top 4 defensemen. Dhillon, Graves and Schmidt went this summer. All went for non-crippling returns

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Imagine EK didn’t go buck-Wild and show the world he was the best player in the world in PD’s 1st season as GM - this team would be levels of bad, ugly and disheartening I don’t think any market in the NHL had seen in a long long time

Dorion has had no success without EK showing as the. best hockey player on the planet.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

:whaaa?:
:huh:
You can always sign free agents ..... if you pay them decently ...... cough (example) Dadonov. You can even move them if they don't work out ....... cough (example) Dadonov.

Reactions: HSF

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
actually people have been trading top 4 defensemen. Dhillon, Graves and Schmidt went this summer. All went for non-crippling returns

Hell, Jake Bean was traded for a 2nd round pick and is now playing 20+ minutes a night for he 10-6 Blue Jackets.

Reactions: HSF

Charliebox

Aug 5, 2009
I can't for the life of me understand how Mete is in the NHL anymore.

And I have to mention something about our management. I usually don't rip into Dorion (because I know that Melnyk's cheapness really handcuffs him) but when it comes to our Dmen over the last couple years, I don't know what the hell the man is thinking.

We let Mike Reilly walk for 3M/yr. He was fitting in so well on this team, and he was the 2nd PP unit, puck mover, that this team so desperately needs right now.

So we trade him for a 3rd rounder at the deadline last year because we don't want to pay him 3m/yr.

Then we sign Del Zotto for 2m and Mete for 1.2M. We are spending 3.2M on two guys who would not be able to crack the lineup of any other NHL team.... while a capable 2nd PP unit puck mover that we HAD is playing elsewhere for less money than these two clowns.

And before anyone says "well they didn't want to commit to 3 years", a guy like Reilly, with one or two years left on his contract at 3m, is an easily tradeable player if we so choose when guys like Thomson or Sanderson are ready.

It would be one thing if Dorion let Reilly walk because he was super confident in Brannstrom or Thomson. But the only reason either of these guys ever got into the lineup was due to Covid and injuries. Dorion/DJ clearly didn't want these guys on the big team this year...

Was the plan really to ONLY have ONE capable puck moving Dman on this team?

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

Jake Bean was available for a 2nd round pick. He's playing 20+ minutes a night in Columbus and is signed for 3 years at $2.3M.

We reached for Zach Ostapchuk and Ben Roger instead, and signed Michael Del Zotto.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

You're full of excuses.

Either way this GM is once again responsible for icing one of, if not the worst team in the league. You'd think he could at least do a little better than that with so much quality youth in the lineup. He even had a bit of an allowance last year and still blew through it poorly.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Nate Schmidt - 3rd
Devon Toews - 2 2nds
Brendon Dillon - 2 2nds
Brandon Montour - 3rd
Alex Goligoski + 2nd - Future considerations
Jake Bean - 2nd
Nick Leddy (1 year UFA, not what we are looking for)- Cap dump + 2nd
Ryan Graves - 2nd + secondary prospect
Jonas Siegenthaler - 3rd

All of the above would very easily be playing in the top 4 of the Sens, and are currently or have been playing in the top 4 of much better teams, and were traded for much less than a 1st ++ within the last year. Leddy and Schmidt are the oldest at 30 each.

Sens need to add D. Need to overpay? Sure, take away what you would have paid guys like Watson, Stepan, Gudbranson, Galchenyuk and add it to a guy that can help. That's 11 million in additional funds right there.

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
:whaaa?:
:huh:
You can always sign free agents ..... if you pay them decently ...... cough (example) Dadonov. You can even move them if they don't work out ....... cough (example) Dadonov.

Dadonov didn't work out ... Thats exactly the type of UFA we don't need to sign.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
You're full of excuses.

Either way this GM is once again responsible for icing one of, if not the worst team in the league. You'd think he could at least do a little better than that with so much quality youth in the lineup. He even had a bit of an allowance last year and still blew through it poorly.

No. Its a reality check. You want to get a good 2C or 4D your talking about moving Sanderson, Stutzle, Batherson, 2022 1OA, Norris etc. Not 3-5 b prospects that everyone throws around while blaming PD.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Jake Bean was available for a 2nd round pick. He's playing 20+ minutes a night in Columbus and is signed for 3 years at $2.3M.

We reached for Zach Ostapchuk and Ben Roger instead, and signed Michael Del Zotto.

Jake Bean ? A thin left shot dman ... Jake Bean isn't our problem. We don't need more offensive left shot DMAN in this org. Where is he playing when Sanderson arrives ? 5-6D PK ?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
No. Its a reality check. You want to get a good 2C or 4D your talking about moving Sanderson, Stutzle, Batherson, 2022 1OA, Norris etc. Not 3-5 b prospects that everyone throws around while blaming PD.
You'd like us to think so, but no, you're just once again making excuses, this time for a manager that doesn't know how to get his team out of the basement but apparently can't be held accountable for not being able to do something, anything that improves the team substantially.

Even if you're right that it could be at the cost of something we'd rather not give up, that's how this shit works. Just don't make a stupid f***ing decision and maybe it doesn't need to be a total waste of assets like you frame it. The problem lies with him in that he can't seem to get the job done and he's got people like you to tell us he's actually doing an amazing job with the worst team in the league for almost his entire GM career.

Jesus, he's an NHL GM, get something positive for this team out there making a damn fool out of themselves.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
You'd like us to think so, but no, you're just once again making excuses, this time for a manager that doesn't know how to get his team out of the basement but apparently can't be held accountable for not being able to do something, anything that improves the team substantially.

Even if you're right that it could be at the cost of something we'd rather not give up, that's how this shit works. Just don't make a stupid f***ing decision and maybe it doesn't need to be a total waste of assets like you frame it. The problem lies with him in that he can't seem to get the job done and he's got people like you to tell us he's actually doing an amazing job with the worst team in the league for almost his entire GM career.

Jesus, he's an NHL GM, get something positive for this team out there making a damn fool out of themselves.

So who would you have brought in to fix this ? Make sure to leave money and developmental time for Sanderson, Brann, Lassi, JBD etc along with the extensions that are coming aligning with our internal budget.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
So who would you have brought in to fix this ? Make sure to leave money and developmental time for Sanderson, Brann, Lassi, JBD etc.
I'm not the GM and this is your hollow argument over and over. Give me names so I can say no to each one! Holding an HFboard poster accountable for names is pointless, it's up to the guy in the seat to somehow manage his team out of last place.

You can say you don't want to give anything of value up all day and that's fine, but the team is an embarrassment that nobody in their right mind is going to pay to watch anymore. When they finally come out of this fog, they'll have tossed away over half a decade hoping to be good again.

You've been on a fan shaming crusade for months and this is the product you want people to watch? Forget the $25, I want my 3 hours wasted back.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
You need a staff capability of identifying decent Defence man.
With the D these guys are passing on in favor of the ones they are getting .. its inexplicable. No one that is mostly awake and has any hockey background would take Dorion's choices ahead of these.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Jake Bean ? A thin left shot dman ... Jake Bean isn't our problem. We don't need more offensive left shot DMAN in this org. Where is he playing when Sanderson arrives ? 5-6D PK ?

It's amazing to me how people can watch Stützle and Norris struggle and then expect Jake Sanderson to come in and play 20+ minutes a night and turn this team around in his rookie season. Playing a much more difficult position.

A realistic expectation would be to pencil Sanderson in as a top-4 defenseman for the 2023-24 season, or maybe even 2024-25. Not next year.

You need good players in the interim.

But I guess the plan is to send him out there and watch him flail with no support, like we're doing with Stützle.

"We can't trade for another center!!!! We need to leave room for our 1st round draft pick in 2025 to develop!!!!"

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It's amazing to me how people can watch Stützle and Norris struggle and then expect Jake Sanderson to come in and play 20+ minutes a night and turn this team around in his rookie season. Playing a much more difficult position.

A realistic expectation would be to pencil Sanderson in as a solid top-4 defenseman for the 2023-24 season, or maybe even 2024-25. Not next year.

You need good players in the interim.

But I guess the plan is to send him out there and watch him flail with no support, like we're doing with Stützle.

"We can't trade for another center!!!! We need to leave room for our 1st round draft pick in 2025 to develop!!!!"
Imagine a Sens fans huffing at a 23 year old playing 22 minutes a night of only ES and SH time and doing extremely well at it while at the same time watching

30 year old MDZ
34 year old Holden
30 year old Zaitsev
27 year old Brown
23 year old Mete

Just crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad