Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Ok then.....

Senators' Eugene Melnyk pledges to spend close to salary cap from 2021–25 - Sportsnet.ca

Without adding player quality by trade or free agency, with a good Sanderson joining the team in a year, the team will be marginally playoff caliber, meaning StooEuge will once again be disappointed in a couple of years and cutting salary costs, and it will be rebuild time once again.
So with Sanderson and a current prospect or two on the roster in a couple of years…. You seem to be suggesting the Sens Add a player or two ( through free agency or trade )…… so who do you think they should trade for, or sign as an UFA?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I get what you are saying but he was a top teams best D last year and this year will essentially be his AHL season. He’s such a poised player with elite skating who doesn’t lack size. I think he slides right in to the second pair next year.
That would be ideal for sure!

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
So who is the 8 to 10 million in added talent ( in addition to Brady )?

This was StooEuge and Pete's master plan to execute, you would think they would have it set out. Maybe ol' StooEugie was planning on bidding on trying to make a splash on Sean Couturier, trading futures for Eichel, gambling on Laine, try to pry Larkin out of Detroit? Add a mid to top name defenseman instead of MDZ?

If you promise your wife to get her a million dollar house this summer, and you only look at the availability in Vanier, she has every right to question whether you really meant it, and also whether you are off your rocker.

Reactions: Cosmix

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
So with Sanderson and a current prospect or two on the roster in a couple of years…. You seem to be suggesting the Sens Add a player or two ( through free agency or trade )…… so who do you think they should trade for, or sign as an UFA?

Without GM insider knowledge as to who is available and who would sign an extension, Hertl has been around a ppg and merits a look, Larkin, Forsberg in Nashville...

Good number of top 6 wingers were available if you move Stutzle to the center. Zadorov instead of MDZ was an instant upgrade.

The fact is there is not enough talent in house now, and likely not a ton on the way without a failure of a season yielding top draft picks and more waiting, so you either go out and acquire externally, or expect more years of non-contention.

If there is a salary crunch in a couple of years, even trading off talent for picks or prospects moves your team forward. Even Dadonov yielded a return without giving up anything for him.

Reactions: Cosmix

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
This was StooEuge and Pete's master plan to execute, you would think they would have it set out. Maybe ol' StooEugie was planning on bidding on trying to make a splash on Sean Couturier, trading futures for Eichel, gambling on Laine, try to pry Larkin out of Detroit? Add a mid to top name defenseman instead of MDZ?

If you promise your wife to get her a million dollar house this summer, and you only look at the availability in Vanier, she has every right to question whether you really meant it, and also whether you are off your rocker.

Why spend $1M on one house when you can spend $1M and get 9 houses! Granted, 7 of them will be so old and broken that you can't use them for anything, but 9 houses!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
By reversed I mean that I think average fans got over those losses long ago... They seem to linger in here
Idk, I don't think those loses are what's keeping them away currently, but I do think if we lose Brady or if the media starts portraying him as on his way out, it may come back to the surface and become a talking point among average fans again.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
That would be ideal for sure!

There's certainly a lot of recent precedent for guys to go from college hockey to immediate top 4 impact level d man. Sanderson has the size and skating to potentially do the same

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think in 3 yrs the Sens could have Chabot, Sanderson & Kleven on the left side, they all seem very capable & Kleven has shown he can skate & has some skills. At that point I expect that JBD will be an everyday player, Zub may still be around & Ottawa would have drafted a top pairing RD by then.

I also expect that Roger could be a decent RD for them down the road. While it seems far away it is slowly coming together. Chabot & Zub are the only two D that I would keep from this current group.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Have to give Dorion credit for leaving players like Pinto, Formenton, Sanderson, Norris in development leagues for as long as he has. Seeing those talents play and icing bottom ranked teams and not bringing them into Ottawa to give your franchise a boost takes high end patience. Excellent organizational standard to have and one of his highest graded jobs as GM has to be player development along with drafting

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Have to give Dorion credit for leaving players like Pinto, Formenton, Sanderson, Norris in development leagues for as long as he has. Seeing those talents play and icing bottom ranked teams and not bringing them into Ottawa to give your franchise a boost takes high end patience. Excellent organizational standard to have and one of his highest graded jobs as GM has to be player development along with drafting

Pinto and JBD were offered to come out ahead of last year .. It was their decision to stay
Sanderson was offered to come out last spring .. it was his decision to stay
Norris did not play most of the year before the 1 year he spent in the AHL

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Pinto and JBD were offered to come out ahead of last year .. It was their decision to stay
Sanderson was offered to come out last spring .. it was his decision to stay
Norris did not play most of the year before the 1 year he spent in the AHL

Offered to come out and play in Belleville under Troy, under the umbrella of the Senators controlled development system.

Does not mean they were offered spots on the NHL team, so his point still stands.

Reactions: Tuna99

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Actually I think you have this reversed

Attendance sucked for a few years in line with a losing record and hopefully we're on the upswing

As far as anxiety goes, in my day to day travels in life playing in multiple beer leagues and being an avid golfer I interact with a lot of sports fans in general and hockey fans in particular. IMO there's far more anxiety in here than "out there"

Not sure what you mean... what is reversed? Definately agree that losing hurt attendance too, and winning will help right it. On ice performance will have the biggest impact on the more casual fans, and they make up a pretty big chunk of the attendance figures, the enthusiasm of the more hardcore fans is certainly a smaller slice of the pie but one that's less influenced by performance. Right now we are suffering on both ends.

And I agree people here are more worried than the average joe. I think a bridge deal will potentially spur the media to speculating about his motivations, and while again it will more drastically influence the "anxiety" of folks here, I do think the media influences the average joe fan as well so I could see a bridge leading to people worrying about him having one foot out the door.
I don't think the fact that we keep losing our best players when they hit their payday contracts goes unnoticed by any fan "type". Not sure it makes a different whether its the "average joe" fan or a HF fan, or whatever - they notice.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Ok then.....

Senators' Eugene Melnyk pledges to spend close to salary cap from 2021–25 - Sportsnet.ca

Without adding player quality by trade or free agency, with a good Sanderson joining the team in a year, the team will be marginally playoff caliber, meaning StooEuge will once again be disappointed in a couple of years and cutting salary costs, and it will be rebuild time once again.

They have a 50 or 500 page plan which including sceneries where they “plan” to spend “close” to the cap.

I doubt their plan has anything to do with trading away prospects and picks in 2021 to come close to capping out.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
All you need to know about why there aren’t enough fans int he arena - Melnyck made this rebuild comments and promises from Toronto to a Toronto audience of millionaires - not even addrsssing the people he is actually trying to sell tickets to, just corporate Toronto people he’s trying to impress

Actually - they’re weren’t enough fans in the building (paying enough) when the Sens went to the SCF under Bryden or the ECF under Melynk …

This market couldn’t care less about an owner going bankrupt but gets all bent out if that owner asks the fans to buy a few more $25 tickets…

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Shaw and Sabourin both making the team opening night is a hell of an indictment of this GM…who I was told was very busy all summer. There are so many better options that were available on waivers.

Reactions: robsenz and DrEasy

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Gee, I hope your wife never tells you she plans on being faithful.....you'd never get another good night's sleep again....

I'd hope one would choose to marry someone much more trustworthy and reliable than Eugene.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Actually - they’re weren’t enough fans in the building (paying enough) when the Sens went to the SCF under Bryden or the ECF under Melynk …

This market couldn’t care less about an owner going bankrupt but gets all bent out if that owner asks the fans to buy a few more $25 tickets…
We never went to the SCF under Bryden, that was in the 2006-07 year. There was no issue with attendance that year, or the price of tickets, Forbes had our revenue estimated at 6th highest in the league.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Game without our top 2 centres…. Do better.
Aggozino and Sokolov are expected to go back down, and Paul is expected to slot back at wing when Pinto and Norris are back.

I suspect Shaw and Sabourin would take White and Tkachuk's roster spots,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad