Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Well there it is finally. PD explained that after having gone over all rebuilds over the last 15 years they honed in on the need for high quality character vets to put in with the rookies as the focus last summer. All short term guys were touted as super high character people who worked hard, were professionals, and loved the game.

PD didn’t expect us to make the playoffs, and targeted character guys to protect the development of the kids, not to put up points and be better than them. They were chosen for character over on ice talent.

At least we can close the book on that storyline that many were holding on to. What was painfully obvious to many, was once again, in fact, what was happening.

Now we can at least debate the merits of the approach instead of its existence as the clear plan.

Reactions: PlayersLtd

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Pretty sure we already did this dance in another thread, not gong to bother with it again

Pretty sure we've just argued about a Tkachuk offer sheet contract and Duclair's RFA status, not your bad take on PD's offseason, but thats fine by me.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.

I think he’s a little embarrassed on the whole stepan thing and I doubt he lets it go so easily

If Stepan is willing to be a 13th forward, sure have that conversation. I'd rather re-sign him at this point than trade another asset for a useless plug.

I'd very much prefer to part ways with him, just don't want to make another stupid trade to bring back a vet.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Will the playoffs next season get rid of the wild card since the divisions will be balanced? I hope so. They were kind of stupid to begin with and there's really no reason to have them going forward.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Teams I feel I would put safely ahead of the Sens

Toronto
Boston
Pitts
Wash
Car
TB
FLA
NYI

Teams battling it out with the Sens

NYR
CLB
PHI
MTL

Teams I feel safely behind the Sens

BUF
DET
NJ

Think it will be much more difficult to pry a playoff spot away from the 8 teams I’d put ahead and 4 other teams battling with the Sens than it was to pry one of the 4 playoff spots among the 7 Canadian teams.

i think i posted this list the other day with the teams i highlit in red bumped down one tier. I think in Boston that core has played at a very high level for a long time, at some point the regression curve is going to bite Bergeron, Marchand and Rask in the ass.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
If Stepan is willing to be a 13th forward, sure have that conversation. I'd rather re-sign him at this point than trade another asset for a useless plug.

I'd very much prefer to part ways with him, just don't want to make another stupid trade to bring back a vet.

Agreed, I'm fine with Stepan for a year or maybe two at near vet minimum (realistically he'd sign for a 1x3 mil or something) if we lose Tierney or White in the off-season or to expansion. He didnt really get a chance with the team and he'd be relatively free on a short contract.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Agreed, I'm fine with Stepan for a year or maybe two at near vet minimum (realistically he'd sign for a 1x3 mil or something) if we lose Tierney or White in the off-season or to expansion. He didnt really get a chance with the team and he'd be relatively free on a short contract.

He was home sick making $6.5 ... can’t see him coming here at half that.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Will the playoffs next season get rid of the wild card since the divisions will be balanced? I hope so. They were kind of stupid to begin with and there's really no reason to have them going forward.

It creates more interesting playoff races. I doubt they get rid of it.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
He was home sick making $6.5 ... can’t see him coming here at half that.

Yeah I would hope he knows there's no way he's making that on the open market. If the team moves White's contract off the books I think Stepan at 2x4mil is not great by any means but is the kind of contract I'd expect. It also wouldn't impact the Stü, JBD, Pinto, Zub offseason.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Yeah I would hope he knows there's no way he's making that on the open market. If the team moves White's contract off the books I think Stepan at 2x4mil is not great by any means but is the kind of contract I'd expect. It also wouldn't impact the Stü, JBD, Pinto, Zub offseason.

We sure didn’t get much for our $6 million from Stepan ...

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
1x$1mil is all it should take for him at this stage of his career. No need to go 2 years. Better off overpaying on a one year if that's the case.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Selon Pierre Dorion son entraîneur DJ.Smith n’a pas à s’inquiéter sur son futur en lien avec le travail qu’il a accompli cette saison et de la confiance de l’organisation envers celui-ci, surtout dans la progression des plus jeunes #Sens
11:13 AM · 14 mai 2021

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
En français, Dorion s'excuse pour son «lancer du verre d'eau» dans sa loge qui a fait le tour de la toile. «Je me suis excusé aux Taggart et j'ai ramassé l'eau», dit-il.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
1x$1mil is all it should take for him at this stage of his career. No need to go 2 years. Better off overpaying on a one year if that's the case.

I mean the guy is only 30 he could definitely rebound. I dont mind giving him 2 years if it's at a reasonable cap hit.

Edit: To clarify rebounding is just being a decent to good bottom 6 centre. I don't expect him to be a top 6 forward again.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I mean the guy is only 30 he could definitely rebound. I dont mind giving him 2 years if it's at a reasonable cap hit.

To clarify rebounding is just being a decent to good bottom 6 centre. I don't expect him to be a top 6 forward again.
Not a bet I think is necessary or worth the risk of a 2nd year and potentially 4 mil total spent poorly. He shouldn't have the bargaining power for that imo and if he does, so be it, let him get it elsewhere.

Reactions: BondraTime

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Did Dorion seriously sign a young top 4 D to a 2YR deal that takes him right to UFA status at age 27?

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
I think Stepan is fine in a bottom 6 roll, if we lose one of our bottom 6 centres he is a perfectly fine replacement on a short contract until a guy like Greig or someone else can come in. I definitely agree though that he should be paid like a bottom 6 centre.

What's the average salary of a bottom 6 centre, so long as he's signed on the low end of that range then im fine.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Signing Stepan, oh please God no don't do it - shouldnt even be remotely considered

Hopefully he stays true to his word and brings in some actual quality NHL player's this off season, 1 or 2 guys would be sick to support the prospects

Interesting no contract extension talks - good job Melnyk, stay patient and explore other GM options/perspectives

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
I'm not sure 25 qualifies as "young" any more. But I guess tbe other things you said happened. Ya too short imo, but that does seem to be his agent's style. Id assume the org is thinking jbd will take that role and we have 2 years to fill his role now

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I'm not sure 25 qualifies as "young" any more. But I guess tbe other things you said happened. Ya too short imo, but that does seem to be his agent's style. Id assume the org is thinking jbd will take that role and we have 2 years to fill his role now

JBD could be playing as soon as next season.

They seem to think Lassi will be ready in a couple seasons, but I seriously doubt he'll ever as good as Zub.

The gap in hockey IQ between the two is massive. Zub processes the game at a high level, Lassi is Ceci/Cowen level stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad