NHL 20 GM Mode Logs & Conversation

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Seattle Loses Season Opener - 5-2 to Pittsburgh

While the game opened up on strong note - with Josh Leivo scoring the first goal in franchise history 5 minutes into the game, from there, the game quickly got away from the Kraken. Pittsburgh tied the game just 4 minutes later after Brian Boyle got caught for high sticking. In the 2nd period, Pittsburgh scored 2 goals in the first 3 minutes to take a 3-1 lead. While Trevor Moore potted a goal very quickly afterwards to give Seattle a fighting chance, Pittsburgh once again scored 2 more goals in 2 minutes, taking a commanding 5-2 lead. From there, all Matt Murray had to do is stop pucks, and stop pucks he did.

Seattle Wins First Home Game - 6 to 3 over Chicago

Seattle scored early, and they scored often. After Chicago scored 5 minutes into the game, just 28 seconds later, Calle Jarnkrok scored the first goal on Seattle ice for the Kraken, and Josh Leivo followed it up with his 3rd of the season. The second period saw goals from Dougie Hamilton, Jacob Larsson and Trevor Moore, as the Kraken took a 5-2 lead into the third. After trading goals early in the third, Jake Allen closed the door the rest of the way, saving 30 of 33 shots total, as Seattle picks up their second win of the season.

Seattle now has a record of 2-1-1.

Dougie Hamilton Out for a Month

Seattle has been dealt a blow stronger than the November winds, as Dougie Hamilton is expected to miss 3-4 weeks after suffering a foot injury. While an exact evaluation is still pending, the Kraken are forced to move forward without their top d-man. Hamilton sat 6th on the team in scoring, and first among the defense, with 11 points in 24 games thus far.

Seattle already sits with a 8-12-2 record, and it's hard to imagine that being able to improve without Hamilton in the lineup
- New Jersey traded RD Sami Vatanen to Montreal, in exchange for Montreal's 2020 1st Round Pick, and prospect J.Evans.

cut.jpg

Oliver Bjorkstrand (photo from last season) currently is leading the charge in Seattle, as he leads the team with 23 points so far this season.

Seattle heads into New Year with a 15-19-3 Record;

There have been plenty of ups and downs this season for the Kraken. After a bit of a shaky start to the year, they battled and proved they weren't going to be run over by other NHL teams. After losing Dougie Hamilton to injury, the team struggled, but upon his return, once again battled back, going on a few game winning streak to get back to somewhat of respectability.

The Kraken currently sit 6th in their division, managing to be ahead of the Vancouver Canucks, and the Vegas Golden Knights, while being just a point behind Connor McDavid's Edmonton Oilers. League wide, they sit 27th in the league, so heading into the new year, it appears the focus will be on next season. We've seen some lineup moves that would reflect that as well, as Brendan Lemieux has replaced Brendan Leipsic in the lineup, as Seattle looks to see what they have in the gritty forward.

Adam Lowry, Lawson Crouse, and Oliver Bjorkstrand continue to lead the team, as they sit 1,2,3 in team scoring, with Bjorkstrand on top with 23 points in 37 games. Lawson Crouse leads the team in goals with 10 on the season. On the defensive side of things, despite missing 6 games with injury, Dougie Hamilton leads the D in scoring with 12 points, while Ben Hutton follows closely with 11 points.

Between the pipes, Jake Allen has been acceptable thus far, with a 12-15-2 record with a sv% of .908 and posting 3 shutouts. Casey DeSmith has been questionable however, with a 3-4-1 record and a sv% of .897, leading to some speculation that Seattle may look to trade the backup goalie in the near future, and give Calvin Pickard a shot in the backup role.

To Burnaby now, as the Aces have had a strong season so far, with a 20-16-1 record. They have been led by their top line of Michael McCarron (37P in 37GP), Denis Gurianov (16G, 35P, in 37GP) and Dominik Bokk (35P in 37GP). Gurianov has looked so strong, that some are wondering if he should be called up to the NHL team to add another scoring option to a Seattle forward group that lacks a true finisher. Seattle management said that "We are committed to ensuring that Gurianov develops into a top NHL talent. While his showing has been very impressive in Burnaby, and we feel he is close to being NHL ready, we feel leading the Burnaby Aces to their first playoff birth is currently the best thing for him, though, we wouldn't be surprised to see him get NHL games at some point, depending on injuries and any trade deadline moves.

37GP
Oliver Bjorkstrand | 8G - 15A - 23P
Lawson Crouse | 10G - 10A - 20P
Adam Lowry | 4G - 16A - 20P
Pavel Zacha | 5G - 14A - 19P
Anthony Cirelli | 8G - 10A - 18P
Calle Jarnkrok | 4G - 13A - 17P
Jason Pominville | 7G - 9A - 16P
Sean Kuraly | 8G - 6A - 14P
Dougie Hamilton | 2G - 10A - 12P (31GP)
Brendan Leipsic | 5G - 6A - 11P (28GP)
Josh Leivo | 5G - 6A - 11P
Ben Hutton | 3G - 8A - 11P
Brian Boyle | 3G - 8A - 11P
Trevor Moore | 5G - 5A - 10P
Nikita Zadorov | 2G - 7A - 9P
Jacob Larsson | 2G - 4A - 6P
Adam Larsson | 2G - 3A - 5P
Brendan Lemieux | 1G - 2A - 3P (9GP)
Scott Mayfield | 1G - 2A - 3P
Slater Koekkoek - 1G - 0A - 1P (6GP)

Jake Allen | 12-15-2 - 3so - .908 - 3.03
Casey DeSmith | 3-4-1 0so - .897 - 3.42 - 1A

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Personally hopping on it in October / November personally.

If I had the game now I’d still probably wait just to make editing on myself easier, but I’m waiting until late October or so. Let some prospects play and get in the game, let them make some edits so my life is easier before starting.

Yeah, good plan. Think I'll do the same.
THanks for the reply.

Reactions: Jesse86436

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Next step the guy who ran the mode this year should implement from the NBA 2k series is sim biases.

Powerplay? Coach/sim bias will look for a guy like Ovi, Weber, Laine, etc to shoot before anyone else on the powerplay or something like that.

Stuff like that. This year looks like a good launching pad/building block to implement those things though for sure.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Next step the guy who ran the mode this year should implement from the NBA 2k series is sim biases.

Powerplay? Coach/sim bias will look for a guy like Ovi, Weber, Laine, etc to shoot before anyone else on the powerplay or something like that.

Stuff like that. This year looks like a good launching pad/building block to implement those things though for sure.

(And to contact the NHL & AHL Coach’s Association to get the rights to real life coaches and assistants)

But I really like that idea. I imagine a big focus will be continuing to make the strategies and coaches matter more.

Something like what you said, fits that path perfectly.

Maybe have the powerplay and penalty kill schemes and stuff be determined by the assistant and associate coaches.

Meaning if you have a associate coach who runs the powerplay, but style is “pass the puck around” type thing, someone like Ovechkin or Laine would see a drop in production, and you may want to find someone who has a “play through star/set up star” type scheme, so the sim finds the Ovechkin or Laine to shoot. But you have a decision. If Ovie/Laine’s production drops, but you have a great PP, do you make the change still?

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
So, who's not in the game, yet?! or who/what prospects should be added, that you guys know of? I have over 50+ created players last year. I'm going to start editing my rosters soon here, usually go through a couple of week grind and update everything to my satisfaction.

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
So, who's not in the game, yet?! or who/what prospects should be added, that you guys know of? I have over 50+ created players last year. I'm going to start editing my rosters soon here, usually go through a couple of week grind and update everything to my satisfaction.

I know there are usually spreadsheets that get put out with all of the players not yet in the game. I just wish there was a quicker way to create these players. It took me months to finally be done last year.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I know there are usually spreadsheets that get put out with all of the players not yet in the game. I just wish there was a quicker way to create these players. It took me months to finally be done last year.

This is precisely why it's best to wait, until the very earliest, until the October roster update before starting a franchise mode.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I somehow turned Miles Wood into an 8 million dollar player by playing him with McDavid for three seasons :laugh:

JLFGoNicsGo11

Apr 21, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
That’s what I’m in the process of doing , I’m almost done , just adding players I know won’t be in the game

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I somehow turned Miles Wood into an 8 million dollar player by playing him with McDavid for three seasons :laugh:

In my Leafs franchise mode, Andersen had a poor year, but was willing to sign an extension in July a year before his contract was up, and he only asked for 3.6M x 3 years. I jumped on that. He won the Vezina that year :laugh:

I like how performance can alter contracts, but me thinks it needs a little bit of tweaking lol

Reactions: Deku

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
This is precisely why it's best to wait, until the very earliest, until the October roster update before starting a franchise mode.

I tend to do one with about a 40-50% of what I generally edit, until the update. Mainly figure out how things tend to work (especially this year), so when the October release drops, I can do my full edit of the rosters, and then start my main one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad