GM game Think tank

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
I know this is a joke, but its part of why I like this idea. NYR, BOS, PHI, or LAK win about 80% of GM games, but this would help even it out a little. For instance, lets say the Preds go unclaimed. Columbus (or whoever the worst team claimed is) could take Shea Weber 1st overall. With the last picks of the 1st round, teams like NYR, BOS, and VAN would get a Martin Erat level player instead.

I recommend not doing a snake, so then Columbus would have the 1st pick of the 2nd round, and so on. This could really help with parity, and make it less team dependent. The difference between Weber+Legwand and Erat+Klein or something is so great that a team could go much be easily from a bottom feeder to a division winner than the current setup. Should make things more interesting.

If we do this, I reserve the :habs, also because they are my favourite team

PriceIsGod

Carey Please :)
Jul 15, 2012
You know...
If we do this, I reserve the :habs, also because they are my favourite team
that team is pretty interesting ,:naughty:
if we do something like this , i love taking teams that have disadventages , such as Edmonton or Columbus .. only haveing a few good trade peices ... and with this draft it makes it funner for me :D

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
that team is pretty interesting ,:naughty:
if we do something like this , i love taking teams that have disadventages , such as Edmonton or Columbus .. only haveing a few good trade peices ... and with this draft it makes it funner for me :D

If we do (and I hope we do), it will be interesting to see whether rebuilders, who will likely have the first 10 or so picks, will opt the BPA (i.e. Gaborik or someone) and trade him or pick the best young gun available (Eberle, Henrique, someone like that)

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
If we do (and I hope we do), it will be interesting to see whether rebuilders, who will likely have the first 10 or so picks, will opt the BPA (i.e. Gaborik or someone) or the best young gun available (Eberle, Henrique, someone like that)

If at my pick those 3 were available, I'd probably take Eberle for a few reasons:

1) He has proven that he can score big goals often
2) He is getting better every year, and it's only a matter of time before he hits and exceeds 40+ goals
3) He is probably the best trade piece of the three

and many more reasons also

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
If at my pick those 3 were available, I'd probably take Eberle for a few reasons:

1) He has proven that he can score big goals often
2) He is getting better every year, and it's only a matter of time before he hits and exceeds 40+ goals
3) He is probably the best trade piece of the three

and many more reasons also

Those were just examples, but I agree. I just am saying I will be interested to see whether rebuilders take players of the highest trade value to sell them off or players that fit the rebuilder mentality

PriceIsGod

Jul 15, 2012
You know...
If we do (and I hope we do), it will be interesting to see whether rebuilders, who will likely have the first 10 or so picks, will opt the BPA (i.e. Gaborik or someone) and trade him or pick the best young gun available (Eberle, Henrique, someone like that)
We would pick before tradeing is aloud right ? that way we could pick someone like you said gaborik and trade him for peices that help you right ? knowing me i would most likely pick the young gun

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
We would pick before tradeing is aloud right ? that way we could pick someone like you said gaborik and trade him for peices that help you right ? knowing me i would most likely pick the young gun

Not in charge, but I assume you could trade at the draft. I also would guess you could trade picks. For instance, let's say you have the #10 pick, Gaborik is on the board, and the Blues really want him. They can trade you Schwartz+their pick in the prospect round of dispersion draft for the #10.

Or something like that.

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011

Yeah, the draft should be before trading opens, so teams can have more trade-able pieces to help them even more

PriceIsGod

Jul 15, 2012
You know...
Not in charge, but I assume so. I also would guess you could trade picks. For instance, let's say you have the #10 pick, Gaborik is on the board, and the Blues really want him. They can trade you Schwartz+their pick in the prospect round of dispersion draft for the #10.

Or something like that.
how would we do the draft ? do we get everyone on the chatzy ? or would we do it on a forum ? be hard to do :S

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
how would we do the draft ? do we get everyone on the chatzy ? or would we do it on a forum ? be hard to do :S

This would be the hardest part in my mind as well. I would say the easiest way is give people, say 12 hours to pick. Most people wouldn't take that long. If they don't pick in 12 hours, we have a ranking system and they "auto-pick" the BPA

Another idea is to have everyone send in a draft board of their top 20, in order, to a "Dispersion Draft Commish" (This will be a ton of work, but I volunteer). I would then go through and give each team the top remaining player on their list. After round 1, teams make their next list before round 2, and so on. Teams get the player they want without waiting to draft.

PriceIsGod

Jul 15, 2012
You know...
This would be the hardest part in my mind as well. I would say the easiest way is give people, say 12 hours to pick. Most people wouldn't take that long. If they don't pick in 12 hours, we have a ranking system and they "auto-pick" the BPA

Another idea is to have everyone send in a draft board of their top 20, in order, to a "Dispersion Draft Commish" (This will be a ton of work, but I volunteer). I would then go through and give each team the top remaining player on their list. After round 1, teams make their next list before round 2, and so on. Teams get the player they want without waiting to draft.
Alright , well off the subject .. what would happen to teams that dont get picked RFA's would they become UFA's or would they be in the draft ?

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Alright , well off the subject .. what would happen to teams that dont get picked RFA's would they become UFA's or would they be in the draft ?

Peronsally, I vote players who don't get picked and RFAs of unclaimed teams disappear. With 20 players per roster, and 10 rosters, there are 200 players up for the entry draft (+prospects). About 40 will be picked. That leaves 160 UFAs if they are allowed to go, including tons of 2nd pairing D and 2nd pairing wingers. I just think it is too much.

After the dispersal draft, undrafted and RFA players just go away. That is my vote, but it is obviously Dhabs (or whoevers) choice.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
T6S's Official Proposal for Dispersal Draft​

This is what I would like to see. Obviously Dhabs or whoever can change what they see fit.

1. The first 20 GMs to sign up claim a team. The other 10 are "contracted" and begin a dispersal draft process.

2. A "Dispersal Draft Commissioner" (DDC) heads the process. It will be a lot of work, and I volunteer, but obviously someone else could tell the role if they wanted to.

3. The draft is 3 rounds long. The first two are for roster players, and the 3rd is for prospects (using HFs definition of a "prospect")

4. The DDC complies a list of eligible players for each round and creates a "BPA" ranking list. This will take some serious time.

5. Draft order is decided by standings of the real-life NHL last year. The claimed team with the least points gets the 1st overall (Columbus, is someone wants them), and so on. The draft is like the real NHL Draft: it does not snake. The same team drafts first in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round.

6. DRAFT
A. Each GM sends a draft board to the DDC. This list must have, in order of preference, the players the GM wants to draft. The # of players on the list must equal the # of your pick in the round. The 1st overall pick GM only has to send in one name, the 2nd has to send in 2, the 3rd has to send in 3, and so on. This ensures at least one player on the list will be availbale when you draft.
B. To avoid the time consuming drafting process, the DDC will simply take the highest remaining player off each team's draft board. If a team does not submit a draft board in time, their player will be the top BPA according to the pre-draft rankings made by the DDC. The first round is "drafted", then announced.
C. The process of draft board submission and "drafting" is repeated for the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

7. TRADING DURING THE DRAFT: Trading is not allowed during the draft. It will open at the draft's close. Drafted players can be traded as normal.

8. Any player not taken, including un-signed RFA's, simply disappear and go to the KHL or something. Adding all of those UFAs on top of the draft would be too much.

There is my modest proposal. Feel free to suggest improvements!

Avs44

May 16, 2011
T6S's Official Proposal for Dispersal Draft​

This is what I would like to see. Obviously Dhabs or whoever can change what they see fit.

1. The first 20 GMs to sign up claim a team. The other 10 are "contracted" and begin a dispersal draft process.

2. A "Dispersal Draft Commissioner" (DDC) heads the process. It will be a lot of work, and I volunteer, but obviously someone else could tell the role if they wanted to.

3. The draft is 3 rounds long. The first two are for roster players, and the 3rd is for prospects (using HFs definition of a "prospect")

4. The DDC complies a list of eligible players for each round and creates a "BPA" ranking list. This will take some serious time.

5. Draft order is decided by standings of the real-life NHL last year. The claimed team with the least points gets the 1st overall (Columbus, is someone wants them), and so on. The draft is like the real NHL Draft: it does not snake. The same team drafts first in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round.

6. DRAFT
A. Each GM sends a draft board to the DDC. This list must have, in order of preference, the players the GM wants to draft. The # of players on the list must equal the # of your pick in the round. The 1st overall pick GM only has to send in one name, the 2nd has to send in 2, the 3rd has to send in 3, and so on. This ensures at least one player on the list will be availbale when you draft.
B. To avoid the time consuming drafting process, the DDC will simply take the highest remaining player off each team's draft board. If a team does not submit a draft board in time, their player will be the top BPA according to the pre-draft rankings made by the DDC. The first round is "drafted", then announced.
C. The process of draft board submission and "drafting" is repeated for the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

7. TRADING DURING THE DRAFT: Trading is not allowed during the draft. It will open at the draft's close. Drafted players can be traded as normal.

8. Any player not taken, including un-signed RFA's, simply disappear and go to the KHL or something. Adding all of those UFAs on top of the draft would be too much.

There is my modest proposal. Feel free to suggest improvements!

I think its a great idea, but the problem that I see with it is that it creates to much parity. The good teams will barely improve, and the bad teams, in some cases, could get significantly better. I love competition, and I don't like seeing the same teams(Rangers, Kings, etc) win the cup, but nor do I really want to see 20 GMs thinking they have a crack at the cup. Its not likely, but I could see the game going inactive very quickly if only a couple of those 20 GMs decide to rebuild.

Also, what if no one decides to take a team with an elite player? Edmonton now gets Crosby?? I would hate to see something like that.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I think its a great idea, but the problem that I see with it is that it creates to much parity. The good teams will barely improve, and the bad teams, in some cases, could get significantly better. I love competition, and I don't like seeing the same teams(Rangers, Kings, etc) win the cup, but nor do I really want to see 20 GMs thinking they have a crack at the cup. Its not likely, but I could see the game going inactive very quickly if only a couple of those 20 GMs decide to rebuild.

Also, what if no one decides to take a team with an elite player? Edmonton now gets Crosby?? I would hate to see something like that.

- also makes it impossible for anyone coming late (lets say a day late) to join the game.
- drafting prospects will also make it harder to deal with rebuilders, prospects already have very low value, imagine if everyone gets one or two great ones, their value will = 0.
- dispersal draft will create about 150 new UFAs, lots of them being good ones (2nd liners, 1st and 2nd pair D), agents will have so much work they will barely have time to build their team properly.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville

- also makes it impossible for anyone coming late (lets say a day late) to join the game.
- drafting prospects will also make it harder to deal with rebuilders, prospects already have very low value, imagine if everyone gets one or two great ones, their value will = 0.
- dispersal draft will create about 150 new UFAs, lots of them being good ones (2nd liners, 1st and 2nd pair D), agents will have so much work they will barely have time to build their team properly.

All valid concerns.

Maybe add a rule so GMs can join late, and they take one of the 10 who lost their players, but get to take the same # they lost out of the remaining players? This would allow them to join, but likely make them a rebuilder, which helps all cases.

We dont have to have a prospect round.

In my suggestion, the players dont become UFA. If they aren't drafted, they just disappear.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
All valid concerns.

Maybe add a rule so GMs can join late, and they take one of the 10 who lost their players, but get to take the same # they lost out of the remaining players? This would allow them to join, but likely make them a rebuilder, which helps all cases.

We dont have to have a prospect round.

In my suggestion, the players dont become UFA. If they aren't drafted, they just disappear.

Who would like to be the Ducks after they lost Perry, Ryan and Getzlaf ? of the CBJ after they lost the only two or three good players they have ? or the Habs after Subban, Pacioretty and Price are gone ? I mean it's not like rebuilders will trade much as most other teams would have an extra 2 or 3 solid players for free... and dispersal being over, they dont get to pick players for their depleted team either (not the best one, for sure)...

and if you add a 3rd round for prospects, not only will they get a team without the Price, Subban, Perry, Johnson, etc. but they may also be without their best prospect...

in this type of game where theres 8 to 10 teams who will have their players drafted by others, there's no point at all in being a rebuilder.

going with 20 teams could work, but it pretty much guarantee that there wont be a 21st or 22nd GM in the said game. It also guarantees you (almost) there wont be any rebuilders. And will make it awefully hard to make trades as no one will trade for prospects and picks since there wont be any rebuilders.

Last edited:

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
I don't know about you guys, but I think GM connected on the game consoles is going to hurt the GM games on here going forward.

Not just this game, I mean in general. They have apps for trading so when your offline and such you can still deal and be connected. All this making everything more interesting probably more on there than here.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Who would like to be the Ducks after they lost Perry, Ryan and Getzlaf ? of the CBJ after they lost the only two or three good players they have ? or the Habs after Subban, Pacioretty and Price are gone ? I mean it's not like rebuilders will trade much as most other teams would have an extra 2 or 3 solid players for free... and dispersal being over, they dont get to pick players for their depleted team either (not the best one, for sure)...

and if you add a 3rd round for prospects, not only will they get a team without the Price, Subban, Perry, Johnson, etc. but they may also be without their best prospect...

in this type of game where theres 8 to 10 teams who will have their players drafted by others, there's no point at all in being a rebuilder.

going with 20 teams could work, but it pretty much guarantee that there wont be a 21st or 22nd GM in the said game. It also guarantees you (almost) there wont be any rebuilders. And will make it awefully hard to make trades as no one will trade for prospects and picks since there wont be any rebuilders.

All valid points. My preference would be cap it at 20, and just go with that. Any other GMs can replace inactives (there will be a few, no doubt).

If there were no rebuilders, teams would just need to get creative. There would be real hockey trades instead of prospects for roster guys.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
If there were no rebuilders, teams would just need to get creative. There would be real hockey trades instead of prospects for roster guys.
I actually would like that, since I've had my best success with the Canucks, who have a pretty bad prospect pool, and won the cup without trading a single spect, but I can see a lot of GMs not liking that. Most the trades made in these games are prospect for roster players, and I could see activity really dying down if no one was interested in prospects.

PriceIsGod

Jul 15, 2012
You know...
guys , we arent going to remove Spects for Roster players .. then how would you re build ? Re building is a vital point to helping make trades...

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
This is very interestig. One thing is for sure through in the next couple of weeks GM games will die down with school and NHL 13

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
guys , we arent going to remove Spects for Roster players .. then how would you re build ? Re building is a vital point to helping make trades...

the real Q is : WHY would you rebuild ?

I mean, only 20 teams, 16 of them making the PO, why not try to make it ? and, except maybe CBJ, all the other teams would be good enough to contend for PO if you give them something like Malkin, Suter and Eberle, you know...

for example :
Ryan - Getzlaf - Perrry
Eberle - Lecavalier - Selanne
or
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
Kovalchuk - Plekanec - MSL

why in hell would you rebuild if you end up with a top 6 like that ??? or if you have a top 4 D like, I dunno Suter, Johnson, Wiz and Chara, or Suter, Weber, Chara and Hedman (on top of Rinne if you're NSH)

and what about the cap ? a few teams are at less than 5 mil from the cap ? can they pick 6 or 7 mil players as well ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad